How not to write an Internship CV – 2

Top 10 Resume mistakesContinuing from previous post, there are 4 more turn offs your CV is better off without.

5. Courses and Project work – Please don’t make the recruiter cringe in his/her chair by writing ALL the coursework and project work that you have done till date. Again relevancy is the key. How does knowing about your coursework in area of structural engineering help me decide whether you are suitable for an Environmental Engineering internship or not? Write only those courses which are relevant to the internship and do mention your grades if favourable.

6. Extra Curricular Activities– This one is perhaps the most abused section of a CV. Just because someone else has it on his/her CV, we feel a compelling need to follow the suite. And thus emerge the school / class / section toppers, cricket captains, volleyball champions etc. Let’s be honest – most of us have been one champion or other at some point during our school life and it is NOT a differentiator. If you did not care about these achievements until you sat down to write the CV, an employer cares even less. Moreover none of it is verifiable (unless you have preserved all your school certificates since 2nd standard) and I am yet to come across an intern who got the internship basis his 5th standard work.

However, do write about major achievements such as winning a national competition, state and above level participation in sports, board merit in 10th/12th standard or winning an Olympiad etc.

7. Talk numbers and not English – This one you would learn over time. ALWAYS try to quantify any qualitative achievement statement. For example saying ““Among top 2% students throughout academic career” vs. saying “Academically bright performance throughout academic career” has very different impact. When talking about a project, do give a sense of efforts, scale and achievement with help of numbers. For example – “worked on the website (link) for a period of two months and it today has x thousand users or reduces time taken for an activity by y%”

8. Talk English and not SMS text – A CV is a professional document through which you are introducing yourself to a complete stranger and not some informal chat that you are having with a friend. Save the SMS language and abbreviations for the later. Similarly typos and spelling mistakes are unacceptable. Period.

Finally the million dollar question – does a CV necessarily have to be only 1 page long? The answer is no. But yes, it helps to keep it as short and relevant as possible. And I really struggle to imagine a scenario in which a student’s CV would run more than a page or a page and half if the points above are adhered to. Learn to use the font size, tables and spacing between the lines intelligently and you should be home easily.

Hope this helps. Don’t forget to check out Internshala Career Services for professional help on resume writing.

Image credit: – http://theworkgroupnj.com/top-10-resume-mistakes/

104 thoughts on “How not to write an Internship CV – 2

• March 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM

i am B.tech 6cth sem. plz guide me which language in doing project.

• March 23, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I am a first year student at Manipal Institute of Technology pursuing my engineering in Electronics & Communications.Is it possible for me to get a summer internship somehow at the end of 1st year.Do reply.

• March 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM

It actually depends on the skills and knowledge required for a particular internship. Core technology internships usually make sense at the end of 2nd or 3rd year, while there are others (one with butterfly fields for example) where your existing knowledge may be sufficient. Surf around to see the ones that interest you and apply.

• March 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM

i m a 1st year student from NIT surathkal,is thr any intern program for me too

• March 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Surf around on the blog and you may be able to find something that matches your interest and skill set. There is one internship with Butterfly fields that you should be able to do basis your Science knowledge of upto 12th Std.

• April 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM

hi..i m in IIT indore 2nd yr CSE branch,i would be available from 20th june onwards.Is there any possibility of having internship for 1 month in ur institute.

• April 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

the internships are usually 2-3 months affair, 1 month is too short! Sorry.

• April 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM

hi sir,
    I am a 3rd yr mechanical iindustrial enginerring student of kerala’s best college namely COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING ,TRIVANDRUM.I would like to do internship in your firm from june onwards.I would like to know if its possible.
    Visakh Sasikumar

• April 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM

hi sir
    Visakh Sasikumar

• April 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Hope this helps. Please do let me know what you think of the blog.

thanks

• April 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM

hello sir,

i am a pre – final yr student , undergoing my bachelor in mechanical engg from st. peters

university .basically my 10 th performance was only around 55%.and 12 th and engg level i manage to get 76%….. so is it possible to have an internship in u r reputation.

• April 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I would suggest don’t worry about past academic results too much and apply to those internships that are relevant to you on the blog. If recruiters like your CV, they would directly get in touch.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

• April 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I need to do internship in nanoscience and nano-technology….. help me pls….

• April 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Sorry, at this point in time, I haven’t come across an internship opportunity in the above fields. If I do, you would find it right here on the blog.

Wish you all the best!

• April 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hi, Is there any internship opportunities open for Environmental management students? Im also interested to work with NGO’s..

• April 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM

There are quite a few posted on the blog – surf around and you should be able to find something of interest.

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you like the blog, would you like to help Internshala reach out to more and more students by sharing the link (www.internshala.com) with your friends on facebook, google/yahoo groups?

• May 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hi…
    Now i m enterin my 7th sem. I am free in my 8th sem. So i hav 6 months of time to do a good intern. This intern must cover my final year project. So it is important to me.. Pls guide me to hav one…
    DEPT: Electrical & Electronics Engg,
    COLL: Thiagarajar College of Engg, Madurai, TN
    INTERESTS: Electronics, Embeded, PLC

• May 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM

All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog and quite a few of them were / are related to electronics – surf around and you may find something of interest. Do let me know what you think of the blog?

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best! How do you find the blog?

• June 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I am an engineering undergraduate, right now stepping out of 2nd year. I am interested in market analysis but have no solid ground to apply for such internship except participation in B-Plan events in college. Apart fro that, I have not attended any relevant course. What do you suggest should I put in the CV?

• June 10, 2011 at 7:02 AM

I’d suggest doing some relevant courses in your 3rd year to boost your chances. For the time being other than B-plan competitions, I can’t think of what else can you put in your CV. You should research a lot about a company and make it evident in your cover letter that you are REALLY interested in interning in that particular company and why – that may also help.

Wish you all the best! You may also like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on latest Marketing/Finance/Analytics internships!

• June 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I am pursuing my Engineering and in the second year moving to third year Elec. & Comm. branch. I would consider myself fortunate to do a summer internship with Anek Tecnovations, we are having our vacations till mid august 2011. Will you please get back to me with the details.
    Thank you.

• June 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM

You could be a bit late now. The email id to apply is given in “How to apply” section of the post – no harm trying!

BTW, you may want to like Internshala on facebook and ensure that you don’t miss out on any future ECE internships!

Wish you all the best!

• June 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Hi Sarvesh,

I really liked your blog. Good work done. I have done my MTech in Engineering Mgmt from Manipal Institute of Technology. I wanted an internship of min 8 months. I know its tough to find internship of such high period but thats what my course demands!

Could you please suggest me organisations which provide the same and also in the field of Market Research, Risk Analysis, Supply Chain Mgmt, Delay Analysis, etc. It would be very helpful.

Poonam Das

• June 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I think higher duration is more preferred by the companies than 2-3 months internships so don’t see a reason why that should be a problem. At the moment I am not able to think of a relevant opportunity that I could recommend to you but stay tuned – Internshala would be back with more! :)

You could also like Internshala on facebook and get updates on latest in the world of Management internships!

• June 29, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I’m pursuing my final year BA (PsySEco). I wanted to do internship in either of the subject.
    would you please get back to me with details if its possible for me to work as an intern for your institution.

• July 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Hi Anu,

There are a few Eco internships posted in Government Internships / Social internships section – explore if they could be of relevance to you. Any other internship that I come across would get posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – so please keep visiting. Also, if you like what we are doing at Internshala, why not like us on facebook and help us reach out to your friends?

Wish you all the best!

• June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

anu :

• July 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Hi Sarvesh,

I am Roop Kiran, B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation. I looking forward to join as an intern in your organization. Plz, let me know if there is any openings.

Looking forward for your response.

Roop Kiran

• July 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – have a look, you should be able to find something of interest. Hope this helps.

By the way, why not like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on the latest ECE internships?

Wish you all the best!

• July 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I am doing my M.Tech in VLSI Design and Embedded Systems in Dayanda Sagar college of engg bangalore.Now in my last year.I need to find internship.How to search initially for internship? Your inputs about writing resume has helped me to reduce my 2 page CV into 1 page and looks interesting. thanks.

• July 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

i completed my btech final year this year…i am from computer science background..is there any openings right now for internship..i am intrested to join in internships

• July 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Sure why not?

All the All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – have a look, you should be able to find something of interest.

Hope this helps. By the way, why not like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on the latest CS internships?

Wish you all the best!

• July 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

hi
    i am pursuing my BE BIOTECHNOLOGY currently in 5th sem is there any internships available regarding my branch

• July 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Hi Divya,
      Thanks for writing in. Sorry, as of now there are no Biotech internships that Internshala could recommend for you but we are working on that and hopefully you would find something relevant in near future. Keep visiting. You may also like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on all future BioTech internship that may get posted here.

Wish you all the best!

• July 30, 2011 at 1:33 AM

What do companies offering internship or a job look out for? Does percentage matter?
    I’m sure of myself that I’m a quick learner and innovative, but my percentage lets me down.
    I’m a final year B.E student and i have an aggregate of 57%. I’m scared and almost pretty sure that i cant be placed through my college.

I want to know what is that extra factor which can impress any company apart from the academic percentage? Internships – are they gonna help ?

• July 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Academic performance is definitely one important part of the assessment but not the only criteria. And an internship definitely helps as its living proof of your capabilities and skills. Other than internship, any extra curricular activities, self initiated projects etc, should also help.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best!

• August 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hi.
    I loved your blog. I did not find any internships related to the field of mathematics or finance.
    I have done mathematics honours. Can there be any suitable internships for me??

Thank you !

• August 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Thanks Kritika :)

The number of Maths/Finance internships that we come across are indeed limited (we posted a couple of Stats internships though – search for Aaum Analytics & First Bridge Data) but we are working on it and hopefully the situation would improve in near future. Could you tell me a bit more about around what time would you be looking for internships and for how much duration?

Many thanks
      http://www.internshala.com (like us on facebook)

• August 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM

i have done my final year engineering in computer science from pune university with 1 backlog i have to do some internship or job which can give me growth in my field i just want to work hard

• August 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM

i am sure i will clear my back log within six month but i want to work as developer in different language so i can get better job or i can want to grow in company where i was working

• August 31, 2011 at 7:11 PM

thanks for writing in. All the internships that Internshala comes across will be posted on the portal (www.internshala.com) – stay tuned! You may also like Internshala on facebook and ensure that you get regular updates!

Hope this helps and wish you all the best for everything!

• October 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM

sir,
    i am 2nd year BTECH student in IIT Bombay. I am having interest in finance and entrepreneurship and also i am having some knowledge about finance and investment and i want some practical knowledge in this field. Is there any internship for me.

• October 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Hi Shashank,

Stay tuned on Internshala and you would soon get notification when these internship programs become available again. You may also like Internshala on facebook and get instant alerts on the new internships that get posted.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best!

• October 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM

i am an electrical engineering student at nit,rourkela and am interested in applying for marketing internships like summer analysts.But i have no clue as to how to make my cv relevant coz all my projects and achievements are technical…guide me!

• October 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Try highlighting your extra curricular activities and any non core coursework that you may have done. Stay tuned on Internshala as there would be many such internships getting posted that you can try your hands on. You may also like Internshala on facebook and get regular updates on relevant internships.

• October 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Hello sir,

I am a 3rd year B.tech student at IGIT,Delhi from computer Science branch. Every year Microsoft does come for taking interns in our college. I wanted to know is there any way to apply off-Campus in Microsoft for Summer training ..And also if companies like Adobe accepts interns or not.

In addition to this i would really appreciate if you suggest some good IT industries where i can apply for my internship for next year during summer vacations for the period of two months..
    Regards..!!

• October 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Hi Aakriti,

I am not aware of MS taking interns off campus, try posting this query on Internshala SHOUTbox! and hopefully someone in community would be able to guide you.

Adobe does take interns but again that is also from the campus. For other IT internships, may I suggest that you stay tuned on Internshala, something relevant must be available fairly soon.

• October 19, 2011 at 11:37 PM

i am currently pursuing mbbs from grant medical college mumbai..intersted for civil service..next year from january to march i will be little relieved from the course curriculum.please recommend me some social internship programs such that i would gain some experience..an internship without stipend would also do..Regards..

• November 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Hi Sarvesh,

I wanted to know whether adding a social internship to one’s resume earns brownie points. Is it good to include if one has to apply to any internship program, say, industry-based or academic-based?

Looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks in advance.

• November 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Tricky one Mahesh!

If you have no other relevant experience to mention then it can help. Especially if you can highlight your achievements, skills that you learned extra in the description. EVERY job, irrespective of the industry/academia requires basis qualities such as dedication, eagerness to learn, passion for what you do and giving your 100% etc. – and all of these could have been demonstrated in a Social Media intern as well so no harm giving it that spin and presenting it that way.

• November 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

i am in mba first semester. want to do winter internship 4 one month.please guide me.i am in ranchi right now.

• December 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

i am a 3rd year student from IISER Pune. i liked your blog but being in a science research based institute, i feel that the number of internships are really low. it would be gratefull if you can put more updates on Science Research related informations ( specially in Astronomy and Astrophysics as i am working in this field ).

• December 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

hello,
    i am really stuck, i wish to pursue a career in criminology, at present i am pursuing law and am in the 3rd year (of a five year course) in MDU Rohtak. i can manage time for internships only during the summer vacations from mid june or so; could you please suggest as to where i could apply for a meaningful internship so that i may start applying?

• December 15, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Hello i am 3year Information Technology student. Will low marks in 12 effect in applying for internship ?

• December 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM

‘the previous post’
    couldnt find it!
    (part 1)
    thanks

• December 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM

hello i am first year computer science student.
    want an academic internship.
    plz suggest something….

• December 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

hi, I am an electronics nd communication student, due to health reasons I had to skip my exams nd ended up listing a year..nw I hv tym till August after which I can continue wit my final year.
    rather than wait it out..I want to do something constructive!
    I want t knw if even I am eligible for internships posted on ur blog.? or is there nothing to do about it??
    pls help.

• December 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

heya,
    im a b.com(h) 1st year student, i wanted to know if i can get an internship for 2months in some bank..? i have gone through ur blog but couldn’t find anything suitable..can u help me out find a suitable summer internship for my field…

hoping for your reply…
    Thankyou.

• January 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM

sir i am chandan das. pursuing MBA from IIPM,DELHI. now i want to do internship .so plz contact me.(8447099396)
    hopeing u will be reply!
    thanks…

• January 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

hello,
    I am a II semester student, interested to work on
    Cultural, Heritage, environment issues.
    Please suggest suitable organisations.

• February 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

hello, i am rajaninaveena doing my final year M.B.A (HR & HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION) in SAVEETHA UNIVERSITY,our pattern of course is TRIMESTER pattern,interested in both of my specialisation .please suggest an organisation to do internship.(duration 2 months)

with regards,
    rajaninaveena

• February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hello,

I am a third year Electronics Engineering student and i wish to do my further studies in a field that would equip me with the knowledge for dealing with environmental issues. I wish to do an internship in a related field so that I can get firsthand experience. Could you kindly guide me in the same.

Thankyou

• February 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

hi iam studying 2nd year CSE,i would like to have some training in the field of networking.is there any oppurtunities to have training or internship?Do let me know.

thanks in advance.

• February 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

i am looking to get an internship for 2 months for my son currently studying in st xaviers college mumbai 1st year economics hons preferably in a multinational bank as he is interested in investment banking and would like to intern as a summer analyst.
    regards,
    sumeet sood
    +919003015893
    soodsumeet2@gmail.com

• February 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hi. Please provide some links for some good resume/CV formats.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM

hello sir..i m lala saha from pondicherry university, doing Msc in environmental science…
    is there any internship work related to water pollution …

• February 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Hello sir,
    i am a third year civil engineering student and i have some enquiry about vhbc summer internship program
    i am not able to understand the meaning of…”Outline of the timeline for deliverables”
    can you please tell me what should i write in cover letter??

with regards,
    NITESH MITTAL

• March 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

hello sir,
    I am a final year EEE student.are there any projects related to my core subjects..

• March 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hello,

I recently stumbled across Internshala, and I must say, that the concept and the idea behind this project is absolutely fantastic!
    However, being a law student, I have been trying to find some legal internships for quite a while now, and am unable to do so. Understandably, this seems like a more technology-management related website, but it’ll be pretty great if you guys could update some internships related to Law/Public Policy (I’ve gone through Centre for Civil Society)/ Government.

Thanks!

• April 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Thanks Ashima :) Your observations are valid, we have not been able to focus on Law internships as much as we’d want to (not having someone from legal background in the team is one of the reasons) and we know there is a need out there.

There is another site called Lawoctopus (I am sure you already know about it) which could help. There is another organization called Akosha which hired social media interns from Internshala but I do know that they hire legal interns in large numbers for the kind of work they do; do you know about them?

LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
      facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• March 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

helloo sir.
    I m sai sundar rath B.tech 2nd yr student frm KIT ….i want to take part n inter ship during the month of august 2012……what i do sir…

• April 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM

hi,
    i am an electronics and communications student about to finish my 3rd yr. my college requires me to do an internship this summer for 3 months. could you give me any suggestion.
    thank you.

• April 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

btw my grades have been low since the last yr due to some reasons.

• April 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hello sir,
    I am from tech background,having 28months industry experience, now am studying MBA in GITAM UNIVERSITY(www.gitam.edu). I am looking for 2months summer internship,i applied 8 to 9 internships in your site but i didnt get any reply .

• April 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM

@Sai- The selection procedure depends on the companies hiring the interns and not us. We can help you in providing multiple internship opportunities and guide you in the process of learning ways that will optimize your hiring chances. The Internshala portal and many sections that will help you overcome your shortcomings and be better prepared for your future undertakings. Keep trying.
      All the best!!

LinkedIn-http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
      Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• September 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Hey

I am doing Bachelors of Business Studies from Delhi University. What would you suggest me to do so as to build my CV. I want to learn as much as possible. I have done an internship with Reliance Life Insurance which made me learn a lot and I feel that the time put into it, extracted a lot of revenue.

• February 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Greetings,
    I am pursuing B.com(H), currently in 2nd year, from Shri Ram College of Commerce. Kindly help me by telling suitable internships for 2 months.
    Thankyo

• May 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM

what kind of resume is required while applying for a summer programme???

• October 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Hi
    I am B.tech 3rd year student of mechanical engg. at NIT Srinagar. I am interested in industrial internship in winter in any major private company. Can you suggest me some?
    Thanks!

• June 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM

Hii
    I am a 2nd year student of EC engineering but am pretty sure about pursuing marketing or finance management in future.So, when applying for management internships, is it required to show technical skills and projects, published technical papers and stuff on resume??

• June 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Dear Mansi,

We would suggest you to at first, mention any work you have done related to management. Then, you may mention your technical skills stating how it helped you in leadership or team work or other such qualities, if any.

Hope this helps

All the best

• June 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Hii
    I am a second year b.com(h) student from delhi university. I do not have any work/internship experience. The only experience I have is that of volunteer work I did of a few months back. So I want to ask that can I put it in my resume?? And what all should be there as I mentioned I have no work experience.

• June 22, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Dear Prateek,

We would suggest to add whatever experience you have, be it voluntary work.

All the best