How not to write an Internship CV – 2

February 24th, 2011 97 comments

Top 10 Resume mistakesContinuing from previous post, there are 4 more turn offs your CV is better off without.

5. Courses and Project work – Please don’t make the recruiter cringe in his/her chair by writing ALL the coursework and project work that you have done till date. Again relevancy is the key. How does knowing about your coursework in area of structural engineering help me decide whether you are suitable for an Environmental Engineering internship or not? Write only those courses which are relevant to the internship and do mention your grades if favourable.

6. Extra Curricular Activities– This one is perhaps the most abused section of a CV. Just because someone else has it on his/her CV, we feel a compelling need to follow the suite. And thus emerge the school / class / section toppers, cricket captains, volleyball champions etc. Let’s be honest – most of us have been one champion or other at some point during our school life and it is NOT a differentiator. If you did not care about these achievements until you sat down to write the CV, an employer cares even less. Moreover none of it is verifiable (unless you have preserved all your school certificates since 2nd standard) and I am yet to come across an intern who got the internship basis his 5th standard work.

However, do write about major achievements such as winning a national competition, state and above level participation in sports, board merit in 10th/12th standard or winning an Olympiad etc.

7. Talk numbers and not English – This one you would learn over time. ALWAYS try to quantify any qualitative achievement statement. For example saying ““Among top 2% students throughout academic career” vs. saying “Academically bright performance throughout academic career” has very different impact. When talking about a project, do give a sense of efforts, scale and achievement with help of numbers. For example – “worked on the website (link) for a period of two months and it today has x thousand users or reduces time taken for an activity by y%”

8. Talk English and not SMS text – A CV is a professional document through which you are introducing yourself to a complete stranger and not some informal chat that you are having with a friend. Save the SMS language and abbreviations for the later. Similarly typos and spelling mistakes are unacceptable. Period.

Finally the million dollar question – does a CV necessarily have to be only 1 page long? The answer is no. But yes, it helps to keep it as short and relevant as possible. And I really struggle to imagine a scenario in which a student’s CV would run more than a page or a page and half if the points above are adhered to. Learn to use the font size, tables and spacing between the lines intelligently and you should be home easily.

Hope this helps. Don’t forget to check out Internshala Career Services for professional help on resume writing.

Image credit: – http://theworkgroupnj.com/top-10-resume-mistakes/

Comments

comments

Like Internshala on Facebook
  1. tarun kumar sahu
    March 13th, 2011 at 23:14 | #1

i am B.tech 6cth sem. plz guide me which language in doing project.

2. Apoorve Rastogi
    March 23rd, 2011 at 07:34 | #2

I am a first year student at Manipal Institute of Technology pursuing my engineering in Electronics & Communications.Is it possible for me to get a summer internship somehow at the end of 1st year.Do reply.

• March 23rd, 2011 at 21:38 | #3

It actually depends on the skills and knowledge required for a particular internship. Core technology internships usually make sense at the end of 2nd or 3rd year, while there are others (one with butterfly fields for example) where your existing knowledge may be sufficient. Surf around to see the ones that interest you and apply.

3. chetan
    March 25th, 2011 at 18:10 | #4

i m a 1st year student from NIT surathkal,is thr any intern program for me too

• March 26th, 2011 at 02:35 | #5

Surf around on the blog and you may be able to find something that matches your interest and skill set. There is one internship with Butterfly fields that you should be able to do basis your Science knowledge of upto 12th Std.

4. Siddharth Gupta
    April 11th, 2011 at 16:34 | #6

hi..i m in IIT indore 2nd yr CSE branch,i would be available from 20th june onwards.Is there any possibility of having internship for 1 month in ur institute.

• April 11th, 2011 at 21:13 | #7

the internships are usually 2-3 months affair, 1 month is too short! Sorry.

5. visakh
    April 12th, 2011 at 10:30 | #8

hi sir,
    I am a 3rd yr mechanical iindustrial enginerring student of kerala’s best college namely COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING ,TRIVANDRUM.I would like to do internship in your firm from june onwards.I would like to know if its possible.
    Visakh Sasikumar

6. visakh
    April 12th, 2011 at 10:30 | #9

hi sir
    Visakh Sasikumar

• April 14th, 2011 at 00:28 | #10

Hope this helps. Please do let me know what you think of the blog.

thanks

7. muthuramalingam v.k
    April 13th, 2011 at 10:37 | #11

hello sir,

i am a pre – final yr student , undergoing my bachelor in mechanical engg from st. peters

university .basically my 10 th performance was only around 55%.and 12 th and engg level i manage to get 76%….. so is it possible to have an internship in u r reputation.

• April 14th, 2011 at 00:25 | #12

I would suggest don’t worry about past academic results too much and apply to those internships that are relevant to you on the blog. If recruiters like your CV, they would directly get in touch.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

8. April 21st, 2011 at 13:08 | #13

I need to do internship in nanoscience and nano-technology….. help me pls….

• April 22nd, 2011 at 12:38 | #14

Sorry, at this point in time, I haven’t come across an internship opportunity in the above fields. If I do, you would find it right here on the blog.

Wish you all the best!

9. Praveen
    April 27th, 2011 at 16:19 | #15

Hi, Is there any internship opportunities open for Environmental management students? Im also interested to work with NGO’s..

• April 27th, 2011 at 23:32 | #16

There are quite a few posted on the blog – surf around and you should be able to find something of interest.

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you like the blog, would you like to help Internshala reach out to more and more students by sharing the link (www.internshala.com) with your friends on facebook, google/yahoo groups?

10. Sathish
    May 6th, 2011 at 15:45 | #17

Hi…
    Now i m enterin my 7th sem. I am free in my 8th sem. So i hav 6 months of time to do a good intern. This intern must cover my final year project. So it is important to me.. Pls guide me to hav one…
    DEPT: Electrical & Electronics Engg,
    COLL: Thiagarajar College of Engg, Madurai, TN
    INTERESTS: Electronics, Embeded, PLC

• May 6th, 2011 at 22:27 | #18

All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog and quite a few of them were / are related to electronics – surf around and you may find something of interest. Do let me know what you think of the blog?

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best! How do you find the blog?

11. sam
    June 7th, 2011 at 16:48 | #19

I am an engineering undergraduate, right now stepping out of 2nd year. I am interested in market analysis but have no solid ground to apply for such internship except participation in B-Plan events in college. Apart fro that, I have not attended any relevant course. What do you suggest should I put in the CV?

• June 10th, 2011 at 07:02 | #20

I’d suggest doing some relevant courses in your 3rd year to boost your chances. For the time being other than B-plan competitions, I can’t think of what else can you put in your CV. You should research a lot about a company and make it evident in your cover letter that you are REALLY interested in interning in that particular company and why – that may also help.

Wish you all the best! You may also like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on latest Marketing/Finance/Analytics internships!

12. Nidhi Satish
    June 8th, 2011 at 14:12 | #21

I am pursuing my Engineering and in the second year moving to third year Elec. & Comm. branch. I would consider myself fortunate to do a summer internship with Anek Tecnovations, we are having our vacations till mid august 2011. Will you please get back to me with the details.
    Thank you.

13. Poonam Das
    June 14th, 2011 at 12:45 | #23

Hi Sarvesh,

I really liked your blog. Good work done. I have done my MTech in Engineering Mgmt from Manipal Institute of Technology. I wanted an internship of min 8 months. I know its tough to find internship of such high period but thats what my course demands!

Could you please suggest me organisations which provide the same and also in the field of Market Research, Risk Analysis, Supply Chain Mgmt, Delay Analysis, etc. It would be very helpful.

Poonam Das

• June 15th, 2011 at 19:11 | #24

I think higher duration is more preferred by the companies than 2-3 months internships so don’t see a reason why that should be a problem. At the moment I am not able to think of a relevant opportunity that I could recommend to you but stay tuned – Internshala would be back with more! :)

You could also like Internshala on facebook and get updates on latest in the world of Management internships!

Many thanks

14. anu
    June 29th, 2011 at 22:03 | #25

I’m pursuing my final year BA (PsySEco). I wanted to do internship in either of the subject.
    would you please get back to me with details if its possible for me to work as an intern for your institution.

• July 2nd, 2011 at 08:53 | #26

Hi Anu,

There are a few Eco internships posted in Government Internships / Social internships section – explore if they could be of relevance to you. Any other internship that I come across would get posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – so please keep visiting. Also, if you like what we are doing at Internshala, why not like us on facebook and help us reach out to your friends?

Wish you all the best!

Many thanks

15. anu
    June 30th, 2011 at 13:11 | #27

anu :

16. Roop Kiran
    July 7th, 2011 at 17:30 | #28

Hi Sarvesh,

I am Roop Kiran, B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation. I looking forward to join as an intern in your organization. Plz, let me know if there is any openings.

Looking forward for your response.

Roop Kiran

• July 9th, 2011 at 11:25 | #29

All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – have a look, you should be able to find something of interest. Hope this helps.

By the way, why not like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on the latest ECE internships?

Wish you all the best!

Many thanks

17. Rahul
    July 12th, 2011 at 16:10 | #30

I am doing my M.Tech in VLSI Design and Embedded Systems in Dayanda Sagar college of engg bangalore.Now in my last year.I need to find internship.How to search initially for internship? Your inputs about writing resume has helped me to reduce my 2 page CV into 1 page and looks interesting. thanks.

18. madhavi
    July 15th, 2011 at 13:06 | #31

i completed my btech final year this year…i am from computer science background..is there any openings right now for internship..i am intrested to join in internships

• July 16th, 2011 at 08:31 | #32

Sure why not?

All the All the internships that I come across are posted on the blog (www.internshala.com) – have a look, you should be able to find something of interest.

Hope this helps. By the way, why not like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on the latest CS internships?

Wish you all the best!

Many thanks

19. divya
    July 19th, 2011 at 21:01 | #33

hi
    i am pursuing my BE BIOTECHNOLOGY currently in 5th sem is there any internships available regarding my branch

• July 21st, 2011 at 23:20 | #34

Hi Divya,
      Thanks for writing in. Sorry, as of now there are no Biotech internships that Internshala could recommend for you but we are working on that and hopefully you would find something relevant in near future. Keep visiting. You may also like Internshala on facebook and stay updated on all future BioTech internship that may get posted here.

Wish you all the best!

Many thanks

20. Karthik
    July 30th, 2011 at 01:33 | #35

What do companies offering internship or a job look out for? Does percentage matter?
    I’m sure of myself that I’m a quick learner and innovative, but my percentage lets me down.
    I’m a final year B.E student and i have an aggregate of 57%. I’m scared and almost pretty sure that i cant be placed through my college.

I want to know what is that extra factor which can impress any company apart from the academic percentage? Internships – are they gonna help ?

• July 31st, 2011 at 12:00 | #36

Academic performance is definitely one important part of the assessment but not the only criteria. And an internship definitely helps as its living proof of your capabilities and skills. Other than internship, any extra curricular activities, self initiated projects etc, should also help.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best!

21. kritika
    August 14th, 2011 at 21:59 | #37

Hi.
    I loved your blog. I did not find any internships related to the field of mathematics or finance.
    I have done mathematics honours. Can there be any suitable internships for me??

Thank you !

• August 15th, 2011 at 13:08 | #38

Thanks Kritika :)

The number of Maths/Finance internships that we come across are indeed limited (we posted a couple of Stats internships though – search for Aaum Analytics & First Bridge Data) but we are working on it and hopefully the situation would improve in near future. Could you tell me a bit more about around what time would you be looking for internships and for how much duration?

Many thanks
      http://www.internshala.com (like us on facebook)

22. aviral
    August 30th, 2011 at 23:01 | #39

i have done my final year engineering in computer science from pune university with 1 backlog i have to do some internship or job which can give me growth in my field i just want to work hard

23. aviral
    August 30th, 2011 at 23:15 | #40

i am sure i will clear my back log within six month but i want to work as developer in different language so i can get better job or i can want to grow in company where i was working

24. Shashank
    October 8th, 2011 at 10:23 | #42

sir,
    i am 2nd year BTECH student in IIT Bombay. I am having interest in finance and entrepreneurship and also i am having some knowledge about finance and investment and i want some practical knowledge in this field. Is there any internship for me.

• October 22nd, 2011 at 10:32 | #43

Hi Shashank,

Stay tuned on Internshala and you would soon get notification when these internship programs become available again. You may also like Internshala on facebook and get instant alerts on the new internships that get posted.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best!

Many thanks

25. bonani
    October 16th, 2011 at 12:07 | #44

i am an electrical engineering student at nit,rourkela and am interested in applying for marketing internships like summer analysts.But i have no clue as to how to make my cv relevant coz all my projects and achievements are technical…guide me!

• October 22nd, 2011 at 11:00 | #45

Try highlighting your extra curricular activities and any non core coursework that you may have done. Stay tuned on Internshala as there would be many such internships getting posted that you can try your hands on. You may also like Internshala on facebook and get regular updates on relevant internships.

Many thanks

26. Aakriti
    October 17th, 2011 at 22:24 | #46

Hello sir,

I am a 3rd year B.tech student at IGIT,Delhi from computer Science branch. Every year Microsoft does come for taking interns in our college. I wanted to know is there any way to apply off-Campus in Microsoft for Summer training ..And also if companies like Adobe accepts interns or not.

In addition to this i would really appreciate if you suggest some good IT industries where i can apply for my internship for next year during summer vacations for the period of two months..
    Regards..!!

• October 22nd, 2011 at 11:13 | #47

Hi Aakriti,

I am not aware of MS taking interns off campus, try posting this query on Internshala SHOUTbox! and hopefully someone in community would be able to guide you.

Adobe does take interns but again that is also from the campus. For other IT internships, may I suggest that you stay tuned on Internshala, something relevant must be available fairly soon.

Many thanks

27. anshuman mishra
    October 19th, 2011 at 23:37 | #48

i am currently pursuing mbbs from grant medical college mumbai..intersted for civil service..next year from january to march i will be little relieved from the course curriculum.please recommend me some social internship programs such that i would gain some experience..an internship without stipend would also do..Regards..

28. MAHESH
    November 8th, 2011 at 13:09 | #50

Hi Sarvesh,

I wanted to know whether adding a social internship to one’s resume earns brownie points. Is it good to include if one has to apply to any internship program, say, industry-based or academic-based?

Looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks in advance.

• November 9th, 2011 at 10:33 | #51

Tricky one Mahesh!

If you have no other relevant experience to mention then it can help. Especially if you can highlight your achievements, skills that you learned extra in the description. EVERY job, irrespective of the industry/academia requires basis qualities such as dedication, eagerness to learn, passion for what you do and giving your 100% etc. – and all of these could have been demonstrated in a Social Media intern as well so no harm giving it that spin and presenting it that way.

29. abhishek dixit
    November 27th, 2011 at 16:16 | #52

i am in mba first semester. want to do winter internship 4 one month.please guide me.i am in ranchi right now.

30. Mohit
    December 1st, 2011 at 12:48 | #54

i am a 3rd year student from IISER Pune. i liked your blog but being in a science research based institute, i feel that the number of internships are really low. it would be gratefull if you can put more updates on Science Research related informations ( specially in Astronomy and Astrophysics as i am working in this field ).

31. Neha Saxena
    December 11th, 2011 at 19:13 | #56

hello,
    i am really stuck, i wish to pursue a career in criminology, at present i am pursuing law and am in the 3rd year (of a five year course) in MDU Rohtak. i can manage time for internships only during the summer vacations from mid june or so; could you please suggest as to where i could apply for a meaningful internship so that i may start applying?

32. Gaurav
    December 15th, 2011 at 23:22 | #57

Hello i am 3year Information Technology student. Will low marks in 12 effect in applying for internship ?

33. Tanay
    December 22nd, 2011 at 09:16 | #58

‘the previous post’
    couldnt find it!
    (part 1)
    thanks

34. prachi
    December 23rd, 2011 at 14:02 | #60

hello i am first year computer science student.
    want an academic internship.
    plz suggest something….

35. Abhishek
    December 28th, 2011 at 19:52 | #62

hi, I am an electronics nd communication student, due to health reasons I had to skip my exams nd ended up listing a year..nw I hv tym till August after which I can continue wit my final year.
    rather than wait it out..I want to do something constructive!
    I want t knw if even I am eligible for internships posted on ur blog.? or is there nothing to do about it??
    pls help.

36. pallavi
    December 29th, 2011 at 20:56 | #64

heya,
    im a b.com(h) 1st year student, i wanted to know if i can get an internship for 2months in some bank..? i have gone through ur blog but couldn’t find anything suitable..can u help me out find a suitable summer internship for my field…

hoping for your reply…
    Thankyou.

37. chandan das
    January 2nd, 2012 at 18:51 | #65

sir i am chandan das. pursuing MBA from IIPM,DELHI. now i want to do internship .so plz contact me.(8447099396)
    hopeing u will be reply!
    thanks…

38. krishna
    January 24th, 2012 at 14:50 | #66

hello,
    I am a II semester student, interested to work on
    Cultural, Heritage, environment issues.
    Please suggest suitable organisations.

39. February 6th, 2012 at 19:48 | #68

hello, i am rajaninaveena doing my final year M.B.A (HR & HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION) in SAVEETHA UNIVERSITY,our pattern of course is TRIMESTER pattern,interested in both of my specialisation .please suggest an organisation to do internship.(duration 2 months)

with regards,
    rajaninaveena

40. Pooja Jagadeesan
    February 6th, 2012 at 21:15 | #70

Hello,

I am a third year Electronics Engineering student and i wish to do my further studies in a field that would equip me with the knowledge for dealing with environmental issues. I wish to do an internship in a related field so that I can get firsthand experience. Could you kindly guide me in the same.

Thankyou

41. bharathi shankar
    February 6th, 2012 at 23:23 | #72

hi iam studying 2nd year CSE,i would like to have some training in the field of networking.is there any oppurtunities to have training or internship?Do let me know.

thanks in advance.

42. sumeet sood
    February 22nd, 2012 at 16:07 | #74

i am looking to get an internship for 2 months for my son currently studying in st xaviers college mumbai 1st year economics hons preferably in a multinational bank as he is interested in investment banking and would like to intern as a summer analyst.
    regards,
    sumeet sood
    +919003015893
    soodsumeet2@gmail.com

43. Pulkit Agrawal
    February 23rd, 2012 at 10:59 | #76

Hi. Please provide some links for some good resume/CV formats.

44. February 23rd, 2012 at 21:03 | #78

hello sir..i m lala saha from pondicherry university, doing Msc in environmental science…
    is there any internship work related to water pollution …

45. nitesh mittal
    February 23rd, 2012 at 23:38 | #80

Hello sir,
    i am a third year civil engineering student and i have some enquiry about vhbc summer internship program
    i am not able to understand the meaning of…”Outline of the timeline for deliverables”
    can you please tell me what should i write in cover letter??

with regards,
    NITESH MITTAL

46. suresh
    March 7th, 2012 at 13:30 | #81

hello sir,
    I am a final year EEE student.are there any projects related to my core subjects..

47. Ashima Jain
    March 24th, 2012 at 12:23 | #83

Hello,

I recently stumbled across Internshala, and I must say, that the concept and the idea behind this project is absolutely fantastic!
    However, being a law student, I have been trying to find some legal internships for quite a while now, and am unable to do so. Understandably, this seems like a more technology-management related website, but it’ll be pretty great if you guys could update some internships related to Law/Public Policy (I’ve gone through Centre for Civil Society)/ Government.

Thanks!

• April 3rd, 2012 at 23:14 | #84

Thanks Ashima :) Your observations are valid, we have not been able to focus on Law internships as much as we’d want to (not having someone from legal background in the team is one of the reasons) and we know there is a need out there.

There is another site called Lawoctopus (I am sure you already know about it) which could help. There is another organization called Akosha which hired social media interns from Internshala but I do know that they hire legal interns in large numbers for the kind of work they do; do you know about them?

Many thanks
      LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
      facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

48. March 28th, 2012 at 16:54 | #85

helloo sir.
    I m sai sundar rath B.tech 2nd yr student frm KIT ….i want to take part n inter ship during the month of august 2012……what i do sir…

49. divya
    April 12th, 2012 at 19:24 | #87

hi,
    i am an electronics and communications student about to finish my 3rd yr. my college requires me to do an internship this summer for 3 months. could you give me any suggestion.
    thank you.

50. divya
    April 12th, 2012 at 19:26 | #89

btw my grades have been low since the last yr due to some reasons.

51. saiprasad
    April 21st, 2012 at 14:30 | #90

Hello sir,
    I am from tech background,having 28months industry experience, now am studying MBA in GITAM UNIVERSITY(www.gitam.edu). I am looking for 2months summer internship,i applied 8 to 9 internships in your site but i didnt get any reply .

• April 27th, 2012 at 17:39 | #91

@Sai- The selection procedure depends on the companies hiring the interns and not us. We can help you in providing multiple internship opportunities and guide you in the process of learning ways that will optimize your hiring chances. The Internshala portal and many sections that will help you overcome your shortcomings and be better prepared for your future undertakings. Keep trying.
      All the best!!

Many thanks
      LinkedIn-http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
      Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

52. Tushar Jain
    September 8th, 2012 at 21:14 | #92

Hey

I am doing Bachelors of Business Studies from Delhi University. What would you suggest me to do so as to build my CV. I want to learn as much as possible. I have done an internship with Reliance Life Insurance which made me learn a lot and I feel that the time put into it, extracted a lot of revenue.

53. September 9th, 2012 at 20:47 | #93

@Tushar Jain
    Hi- The portal also has a Tips section which could help with some important pointers, did you have a look?

Many Thanks
    LinkedIn- http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

54. Sahil
    February 13th, 2013 at 00:39 | #94

Greetings,
    I am pursuing B.com(H), currently in 2nd year, from Shri Ram College of Commerce. Kindly help me by telling suitable internships for 2 months.
    Thankyo

55. Navi
    May 4th, 2013 at 11:53 | #96

what kind of resume is required while applying for a summer programme???

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Refund & Cancellation Policy