Some of you may already be aware & may have already applied. But for those for whom this is a news, MITACS Globalink is a relatively new program (started in 2009), funded by Canadian Government, to invite students from India to undertake fully funded 12 weeks long summer research internship in Canadian Universities through MITACS. The program is open to students from all branches from select few universities in India (details below). The application window is very small (1st Nov 2011 – 27th Nov 2011) and with just 3 more days to go, this is a REAL race against time – hurry!
About Internship: - MITACS (https://www.mitacs.ca/about) is a Canadian Government funded not-for-profit research organization. Through unique research and training programs, Mitacs is developing the next generation of innovators with vital scientific and business skills. The objective of MITACS Globalink program is to introduce Canada as a world-leading research and innovation destination to top undergraduate students from around the world. In this program students can expect to:
- Be part of a world-class research project. Nearly 50% of Globalink students have published or have plans to publish their research in peer-review journals
- Meet business leaders from some of Canada’s most dynamic and cutting-edge industries including digital media, green technology, biotechnology, information and communication technology, wireless technologies, and more
- Participate in a special networking events, industry tours, roundtables, and presentations from Canadian leaders and entrepreneurs
- Take part in professional skills training workshops featuring an interactive setting that helps build skills in teamwork, presentation skills, project management and entrepreneurship
- Interact extensively with Canadian and international students both on and off campus
# of internships available: – In 2011, 200 students were offered internship through this program.
Who can apply: – Any 3rd year student in a 4 year degree program or a 4th year student in a 5 year integrated program with a CGPA of 8.0 and above is eligible to apply. As of now following universities from India are listed as partner universities though students from other universities are also encouraged to apply – IITs (Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Guwahati, and Roorkee), ISM Dhanbad, IT-BHU, IIIT Allahabad, NIT Trichy, NIT Warangal, NIT Suratkal, BITS Pilani, Jadavpur University Kolkata, Punjab Engineering College Chandigarh, Thapar University Patiyala, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies Dehradun, SRM University Chennai, and University of Delhi.
Location: - Canada
Duration: - 12 Weeks (May-July 2012)
Stipend: – Selected students would receive a stipend that covers the following expenses: airfare, accommodation, visa, medical insurance and living costs. In addition MITACS would also help with arranging the accommodation etc.
How to apply: - Please refer to MITACS Globalink Page for more info and application details. The last date to apply is 27th November 2011 – hurry!
Editor’s note: – Information above is my interpretation and paraphrasing of what I found on the shared link. If you have any more specific information on this internship or have interned in this program before and would like to share your experience, please leave a comment.
This internship was shared by Sundara Chaitanya Battu from IIT Indore and with this the student enters the winners list of Get Rewarded for your internship hunt! Contest. Congratulations Sundara!
You can also share any meaningful internship that you know and join the movement to build a Wikipedia of internships and win exciting prizes. Check out the FAQs Section for more details.
Logo image credit: – http://ngdi.ubc.ca/files/2011/05/Mitacs-Globalink2-300×138.png