Final year project – are you looking for one?

The next big academic worry on many of yours’ minds would be the final year/semester projects. The very thought of it makes most of us jittery, dull and sad, isn’t it?

In India, like internships, we believe final year project can be a great opportunity for one to really explore and understand the depth of one’s chosen subject (in form of a research project) or to get a prolonged exposure to practical application of whatever you have learnt in the classroom. However, likes internships, in India final year projects are also a case of a missed opportunity.

Its no secret that 90% of these projects happen in a Xerox shop a night before the deadline. While a few may have genuinely lost interest in their chosen area of study by this time, for majority its a case of the project itself being boring. Would it be any different if we were allowed to work with industry for our final year project?

To re-quote the often quoted statistics on this blog, India produces ~1000,000+ engineering graduates every year which means there are ~1000,000+ final year projects happening as well. Even if you take ~6 months as the minimum duration of one such project, what comes out of the 6 million man months that we spend as a nation on final year projects? How many new ideas get generated, research projects get advanced or path breaking innovations happen? How many of these 1Mn projects are actually meaningful & intellectually stimulating?

We believe there are enough serious students who want to do a good job of their final year project if given right opportunity and Internshala would like to make a case in front of industry to provide these students with enough opportunities as final year projects. Before we do that, we need to know how many of you are actually interested in taking these projects in industry. Why not let us know what you think here and get your voice heard!

If the link does not work, please copy paste this link into your browser – http://tinyurl.com/internshala

Image credit: – http://images02.olx.in/ui/4/98/13/66949513_2-Pictures-of-FINAL-YEAR-PROJECT-FOR-BEBTechMEMtechMCAMSc-IN-VILLUPURAM.jpg

16 thoughts on “Final year project – are you looking for one?

• July 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Done & Done. :) Whats the follow up to this?

• July 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Hi Siddhant,

Thanks for taking the survey. Now the onus is on Internshala to reach out to employers who can offer long duration projects to students and publish them here. Stay tuned!

BTW if you like what Internshala is doing, why not like Internshala on facebook and stay tuned to the latest and the best of internships

Many thanks

• August 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM

OH NO !!! are all internships just for engineers…There is not even a single option for B.SC. math hons…Obama has understood the importance of maths why not Indian companies and institutes …. The lonely and only providing math internships are IMSC, CMI,ISI and TIFR as i know…but the big thing is when i couldn’t gain an admission to ISI and CMI …will doing the internship be that an easy job? obviously not…
    PLZ inform me if there are some good institutes and companies looking for BSC final year honors maths students to work with them preferably in mumbai ( accounts, finance – although am a novice but still love to learn to do all , statistics or even theoretical maths ) at abhilasha.eha@gmail.com
    Period :- 7-9 months
    U might also like to visit my website http://www.aops-magazine.ucoz.com(although its just started into action)

• August 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your feedback and looks like Engineering opportunities are more in numbers than pure Science but almost all the IITs and a few NITs also run summer fellowship program which could be another place for you to try. Keep visiting us for more!

• July 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Though not an engineering student, I know how scary and difficult final year projects can be.

This initiative by Team Internshala is very sensible and highly appreciative. This is exactly what students need, at this juncture. I hope this becomes a success.

I have shared this article in Facebook and I hope students are benefited from this one.

My best wishes to you all :)

• July 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Is this open still? The dates are really confusing.

• July 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Thanks Sarvesh but the date of joining in the survey ranges from 2011 to feb 2012.

• July 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hi Sarvesh,

I highly appreciate your steps in this direction. For me, its like, few days ago, I was wondering how will my final year go, without any good guidance, environment and I salute Internshala for understanding our needs to such an extent. You are doing a wonderful job, Really!!

Thank you.

• July 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I am doing my project which is in the realm of Economics and Management, not engineering. For this I need to survey people. I have prepared a google form. Can Internshala in any way help me reach out to people who would be interested in filling up the survey form?

• July 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

sir,I have filled all the particulars about 10 days before but still don’t receive any information from your side.I am desperately looking for the opportunity….
    Thanks.