A young girl’s ambition to become a pilot starts taking form when she gets the opportunity to intern with the nation’s esteemed Airport Authority of India. Here’s what she has to say.

About Author: – Akanksha is a final year B.Tech student in Rayat and Bahra College of Engineering and Biotechnology. She is doing her majors in Electronics and Communication Engineering. She interned with the Airport Authority of India, New Delhi and shares her experience with us.

I did my summer internship at AIRPORTS AUTHORITY OF INDIA (AAI). I found about this from my senior and applied for it. I went in there for a 4 week training program where I learnt about the Air Traffic Control (ATC). Since my major is Electronics and Communication, it was just the perfect match with my subjects. AAI basically provides air traffic services for domestic and international flights through their control, navigation and surveillance technology. Visiting all the units like Navigation, Radar and Very High Frequency (VHF) and getting to see all the equipments there was a very interesting and new practical experience after all that we had read and learnt about in our course books.

In VHF we saw the transmitters and the receiver setups and the voice control system got me acquainted with the communication system. All the commands we heard on the walkie-talkie started making sense as we heard the live conversation of a pilot and the officer operating in the offices there. We went up to the top where all the transmitting/receiving antennas were placed. From up there we could see the flights taking off and landing in process, the best view possible from up top! Then in the RADAR department we went to the Bijwasan Unit, New Delhi. There we were inside the tall building which had radar at the top which appeared like a football from outside. We saw all the radar set up and all the equipments (new and old) used there and their working. That was when all the block diagrams made sense and we could now design a block diagram all by ourselves with no need to cram, like we did until then. Also we were shown in detail the computer that was recording all the surveillance done by the RADAR. We saw the operations and controls of the system and all the graphics, maps, and position of flights on the computer screen. It was then when I saw so many objects flying in the airspace at the same time; not very far from where we were!

Then finally we visited the AMSS (Automatic Messaging and Switching System) unit. There we were guided by the Joint Manager Sir and he told us about the software used in computer and the different errors faced while operations. He also told us about the message coding, how it is done and how message is received and sent to the right person in the office. This Communication is the most important part. If done at the right time, it can save many complexities and the life of the pilot along with other passengers traveling in the aircraft. The knowledge of all the protocols, cables, communication exchange was provided by him and that wrapped up our internship.

Apart from all the learning, the guidance was what mattered here. We were lead by all the Managers in the respective units. They were all experienced and working there for years. There wasn’t much to do there for us; so we learnt the control on the standby computers and other instruments. Work culture was a really important part there which was fully taken care of. We were given a separate space to work and learn so that the operators did not get distracted. Apart from the internship and learning, I made a lot of fellow friends there. We had fun in the canteen area and roaming around exploring the small left out areas like the control room and the library. A different place for the Indian Air Force officials was provided for their operations. I aspire to be a pilot one day and hence it was the very experience I needed now for the course and later for life. This internship gave me a lot more exposure which I wouldn’t have got anywhere else but at AAI. This is my best internship story.

Did you have a similar or more interesting internship experience? Participate in Internshala’s Share Your Internship Story Contest and win amazing prizes.

Check out latest international internships.

If Akanksha’s story motivates you, check out these amazing ECE internships.

To apply for awesome internships, register with us here.

47 thoughts on “Summer Internship with the Airport Authority of India – the interesting experience of a to-be pilot

• August 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

hey its really awesome…it’s best for electronics and communication engineers..but can you guide me how to apply for it..?
    or when to apply for it..? I am in 3rd year..and I have to do my internship next summer..I have been to different sites..(even AAI’s) but i am totally lost..

Please help and reply.. :)

• September 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM

please provide more details regarding how to apply for summer internship in AAI???Do reply..

• February 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM

can u tell me how to aply for intership in jaipur airport???

• September 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I would like to know did AAI provide intenship for computer science and engineering students??

• September 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM

@ponni
    Hi – It would be better if you got in touch with the author on Facebook. She would be able to guide you in a correct direction.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn-http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• September 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

can you guide me how to apply for it..?
    or when to apply for it..? I am in 3rd year ECE..and I have to do my internship in coming winter..I have been to different sites..(even AAI’s) but i am totally lost..

• January 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM

hey this is sachi i saw your mail actlly i also want to do my internship through AAI so plz suggest me how can i apply there ?

• December 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM

How can I get in touch with the author on facebook?

• September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

or when to apply for it..? I am in 3rd year..and I have to do my internship next summer………………..plz help me ……………..for it……..

• December 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey Akanksha,
    Can you please mail me the procedure about how do we apply for an internship in AAI. My email id is rubal.sngl@gmail.com…!!

• December 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Please can you send me the details regarding hoe to apply and where to apply??

• December 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM

my email id is dolliebhatia@gmail.com

• January 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

can you guide me how to apply for it..?
    or when to apply for it..? I am in 3rd year ECE..and I have to do my internship in coming summer

• March 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM

hi i am final year be-tech(E.C.E)and i want to apply for summer internship in IAF ,please guide me how to apply for it ?plz

• March 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM

hii sir..plzzz give me information that how can i apply for internship in AAI

• March 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

sir from allahabad AAI center..i m in 3rd year …from electronics & communication branch…m

• March 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

it was interesting to read your summer internship experience. but you have not written the procedure for applying for AAI. please help me so tat i will also try to get the internship.
    good wishes

• April 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

plz help me to aplly in AAI for summer training in eectronics and communication for 3 months

• April 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Hey Akanksha,
    Can you please mail me the procedure about how do we apply for an internship in AAI. My email id is aneesh17000@yahoo.com..!

• May 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Hey i wish to know how to apply for these.Please do reply..

• September 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Hey Akanksha,
    I’m a 3rd year BTech ECE student and have plans for an AAI Training but I’m completely lost about the procedure to apply. Can you put some light on the procedure?

• December 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hey Akanksha,

• March 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM

good wishes

• December 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Hey I also want to apply for a similar internship with AAI.
    I am not able to find the author either on linkedin or facebook.What should I do?

• January 5, 2015 at 3:01 PM

How to apply for an internship in Airport Authority of India

• January 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM

How to apply for an internship in Airport Authority of India

• April 3, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I’m a 3rd year BTech CSE student and want to have internship course in AAI . can i apply for it???

• April 3, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Can you please mail me the procedure about
    how do we apply for an internship in AAI.

• March 25, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Hi Mr. Sarvesh
    actually i m not able to find the author on facebook by just the name. If u could tell her full name or provide me her facebook link that would b gr8
    thanks!!!

• June 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM

I a’m a 3rd year BTech electronics student and want to have internship course in AAI . can i apply for it???
    Can you please mail me the procedure about
    how do we apply for an internship in AAI

• January 25, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Respected Sir,
    I am Kaushik Paul, a 1st year Bachelor of Administration Student of ICFAI University Tripura, I am in Search of a Summer Internship/Training program in period of May 2017 to July 2017.I wanted to do Summer Internship/Training in your airport to gain some knowledge and experience.
    I would be very thankful to you if you give me any chance for Training in airport .Please let me know, If there is any opportunity for getting Summer Training in airport.

Yours faithfully
    Kaushik Paul
    Email:- kaushikpaul1995@gmail.com
    Ph:- 9774715652

• May 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Could you let me know how you got into an internship with AAI ?
    How did you apply and approach AAI for an internship?

• October 6, 2017 at 10:12 PM

Hi sir, I want summer training in AAI (Airport operation)…and I am studying Mechanical Engineering 3rd year