Internship in Gurgaon – Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. – enriching experience for a Mechanical engineering student

September 24th, 2012 65 comments

About Author: Aditya Pratap Singh is a B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) graduate from IIT-BHU. He interned with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (MSIL) in Gurgaon.

After the 5th semester of my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering, I got a wonderful opportunity to intern with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd.(MSIL). MSIL Gurgaon plant is to a “mech savvy” what a shopping mall is to a shopping freak i.e. to say, you get all the items of all the brands under one roof. The 300 acres of MSIL plant situated in the heart of the city of Gurgaon encompasses manufacturing shops, paint shops, weld shops, casting shops, assembly lines, machine shops, quality control centres, R&D department and much more – all in the same campus. The icing on the cake was the fact that all these shops were highly automated. Such level of automation is very rare in India.

While strolling in the shops one has to be very careful because though the frantically running “line followers” in the assembly line will very humbly stop and let you pass if you obstruct their way, the overhanging robotic arms in the machine shops may not be so gracious and take you along with them (trust me, I mean it). The other aspect of the training is the industrial and production engineering part. MSIL religiously follows the numerous Japanese quality, quantity and talent management systems (JIT, KRA, Kaizen, TPS to name a few). During your training, you are overwhelmingly exposed to such practices.

The practical examples of all the theory that you have studied in your classrooms take your understanding to a new level. The projects assigned to the interns mostly deal with the management aspects of engineering. So, while the hardcore mechanical engineering, i.e. the highly automated shops stand naked in front of you, waiting to be explored, the project makes you acquainted with the control systems that make this monster (MSIL) work.

Since there is more to an internship than just the workplace, I’ll write about the “extra-workplace” aspects too. To start with, Gurgaon is a good place to live. There are numerous flats, PGs available in the vicinity of the plant to stay. There are malls, nice restaurants, bars, discos etc. The connectivity to New Delhi is very good (takes about 45 minutes to reach by Delhi Metro).

To conclude, interning with MSIL was an enriching experience for a mechanical/production engineering student, provided that you are willing to learn because your mentor may not be able to give you enough time. If you are not interested in doing anything, it’s an even better place. Just go to the plant at lunch time (caution: the food may not be referred to as good), have lunch, go to the CCD inside, have donuts and sandwiches, show your face to your mentor and leave. No one will bother.

If you too have had any interesting internship experiences (in India or abroad) and would like to share it with all of us, please submit your entries here.

Comments

comments

Like Internshala on Facebook
  1. mounika
    October 21st, 2012 at 11:47 | #1

How to apply for iternship in your company?

2. October 21st, 2012 at 16:59 | #2

@mounika
    Hi Mounika – Please contact the author on Facebook/LinkedIn to gain more knowledge on the internship opportunity at MSIL.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

3. nihar agarwal
    November 10th, 2012 at 20:08 | #3

i am not able to find the author on facebook,could you help?

4. November 15th, 2012 at 00:08 | #4

@nihar agarwal
    Hi Nihar – Here is his FB profile link – https://www.facebook.com/aps1611?ref=ts&fref=ts

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

5. Konidala Siddartha
    November 20th, 2012 at 18:32 | #5

Sir how to apply internship for MSIL

6. November 21st, 2012 at 00:34 | #6

@Konidala Siddartha
    Hi Siddartha – In the comment above the link to the author’s FB profile has been mentioned. You should contact him for any guidance required for internship application at MSIL.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

7. sumit dhiman
    December 14th, 2012 at 16:10 | #7

ho can i apply for this ?

8. December 21st, 2012 at 19:05 | #8

@sumit dhiman
    Hi Sumit – Please contact the author on Facebook/LinkedIn to gain more knowledge on the internship opportunity at MSIL.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

9. suresh malyala
    January 14th, 2013 at 11:28 | #9

I am seeking information about summer internship…if you have information about that please infrom me…I am looking forward ..

10. m.vinodkumar
    January 14th, 2013 at 21:28 | #10

sir i want to apply a internship how to apply it

11. m.vinodkumar
    January 22nd, 2013 at 07:51 | #12

sir please give me some information core compines for internship

12. kiran
    January 29th, 2013 at 23:28 | #14

Hello,do u provide internship in operations management in banglore. I am persuading pgdm second semester.

13. MD. SHAMIM
    February 3rd, 2013 at 16:41 | #16

Sir,
    Is there any any program for training in india for B.tech(Mech.) Passout students. Sir, If you have any information then please tell me. Plz

Thanks & Regards

14. pradeep
    March 13th, 2013 at 11:01 | #18

hello sir,

I m in 6th semester from mechanical department. My 6 month industrial training will held in 8th semester(jan-june, 2014). can i apply for internship in maruti suzuki for that training period. If yes then how. suggest me that web site of maruti in which i can direct apply.

thank u sir..

15. Karan
    April 11th, 2013 at 19:08 | #20

Sir
    I’m a sixth semester Mechanical student.
    What all projects can i do with MSIL as a summer intern?

16. Rupesh kumar pandey
    April 28th, 2013 at 21:10 | #22

sir i m Rupesh kumar i m student of MBA second year from sinhgad institute of management in pune .my Specialization is operation(manufacturing), i want to do internship in maruti suzuki. at gurgaon. please. tell me how to join dis.

17. May 4th, 2013 at 14:35 | #24

i am mechnical 2nd year student i want to intership in maruti suzuki gurgaon plant how can i apply….

18. Dillibabu
    June 2nd, 2013 at 22:06 | #25

Sir, I doing MBA in First Year. I will do my Summer intenship in Maruthi & Suzuki. so please give me information. How to approach your organization superior.

19. June 3rd, 2013 at 11:23 | #26

@Dillibabu

@akash mishra
    Please read the other comments – your queries have already been answered.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

20. afroj khan
    June 11th, 2013 at 11:41 | #27

i am afroj khan from bimt college near farukh nager gurgaon ( regarding for mba ) marketing

21. June 14th, 2013 at 22:27 | #29

Sir!!I am student of mech.engg. 7th sem n i want todo 45days industrial training..so how can i apply in your organization n what about the fee structure if have?? plz response hurrily sir………

22. akhil aggarwal
    July 22nd, 2013 at 16:10 | #31

im looking for an internship in msil,how can i apply for it?

23. July 24th, 2013 at 11:25 | #32

@akhil aggarwal
    Hi Akhil

Please try finding Aditya on Facebook, and message him you query as he may not be following this post.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

24. abhinay
    August 18th, 2013 at 00:19 | #33

sir,im f mech 3rd sem,nd I am intrested in doing a 1 month summer internship at MSIL.so do u think is it apt in applying fr intrnshp aftr my 4th sem r shld I wait till da cmpletion f my 6th sem

25. August 18th, 2013 at 01:09 | #34

Hi Abhinay,

My personal advice is to go ahead and apply for it. It’s preferred to be a part of an internship.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

26. Animesh Verma
    September 19th, 2013 at 16:37 | #35

i amautomobile4th year student i want to intership in maruti suzuki gurgaon plant how can i apply….
    Animesh verma

27. September 20th, 2013 at 09:55 | #36

Hi Animesh,

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

28. neeraj kumar verma
    September 22nd, 2013 at 16:07 | #37

sir, i am doing b.tech from IIT Roorkee in production and industrial engineering.currently my third semester is going on and i want to do a intern at the end of second year i.e in this summer vacation.so kindly tell me some best suitable internship option asap…

29. September 23rd, 2013 at 12:54 | #38

Hi Neeraj,

I recommend you to subscribe (http://blog.internshala.com/internshala-subscribe/?utm_source=subscription_banner4) to Internshala, and you’ll receive weekly notification.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn-http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

30. mahesh kumar
    October 9th, 2013 at 11:51 | #39

hi i am mahesh from narnaulstudent of b.tech mechanical engg.7th sem
    i want six months training from your company
    so tell me the procedure

31. sam
    December 7th, 2013 at 13:01 | #41

Hi sir …i m sam….i’m doing diploma inautomobile …i need training in automobile company…..can you just provide me the location and company in delhi….its 6sem about to start …plzzzz tell me …..

32. rakesh kumar
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:10 | #43

Sir
    I am b.tech student for mechanical engg for 8 th sem
    I want to 6 month trainig in maruti suzuki, ncr
    Plz so tel me that ..procedur..

33. KAJAL
    February 3rd, 2014 at 22:04 | #45

SIR
    I am an MBA student and now looking forward for my training programme ..I am going to opt finance next year .Can u just help me out whats the way to get my best internship.??

34. vishesh breja
    February 8th, 2014 at 13:09 | #47

I am a student of automotive design engineering (6th sem).
    I want to do intern in maruti plant (gurgaon), but I m not getting how to start.can any one help me with a procedure for the same.

35. puneet
    February 21st, 2014 at 23:46 | #48

Sir
    I want industrial training in maruti manesar from mechenical field so how can i apply

36. pranavprasar
    March 2nd, 2014 at 18:02 | #50

thanks

37. March 3rd, 2014 at 00:00 | #51

I m student of mechanical engineering.
    I want to apply your company for major training..
    how can i apply?

38. surendra yadav
    March 14th, 2014 at 22:20 | #53

@mounika
    Respected sir/ma’am I want to training in your company, please except my request sir.

39. ABHISHEK GUPTA
    March 20th, 2014 at 21:18 | #54

sir,i am doing b.tech 4th sem in mechanical engineering from NIT,JAMSHEDPUR. i am really passionate to do intern at Maruti Suzuki. please tell me the procedure to get intern at MSIL. i will be very thank full to you. contact details- abhishekgupta278278278@gmail.com or +919031815146

40. Bivek sah
    March 23rd, 2014 at 16:48 | #56

sir
    i am a btech mechanical $th semester student at kurushetra university. i want to do summer training and we are group of six students so sir kindly replly as soon as possible and help us.
    7206143835

41. SAJAN KUMAR SAH
    March 27th, 2014 at 16:23 | #58

sir,
    i am now in 4 th sem from mechanical branch .can i apply in your company ?

42. pawan kr singh
    March 30th, 2014 at 21:02 | #59

hello sir, i am pawan kumar singh i am pursuing b.tech in SDIET fbd….i am now in 4th sem and my stream is ME.so sir i requested u give me chance for training in your company……
    email id-pawanme606@gmail.com

43. CHINTU
    March 31st, 2014 at 13:17 | #61

Hello Sir, I am Jesse Kumar, 3rd year Mechanical Engineering student, from AP IIIT RGUKT. Sir, its my 6th Semister and its mandatory to me that i should have an industry working exprience of 6 to 8 weeks.
    So i want to intrenship from your company. Sir please accept my request and mail me your decision as soon as possible.

email id : je.chintu777@gmail.com
    mob. no. : 9848779767

44. Amit Singh
    April 6th, 2014 at 20:37 | #63

Hi Sir, I am Amit singh, 3rd year mechanical engineering student. Sir, its my 6th Semester, I should have an industry training expiration of 4 to 6 weeks.
    So i want to internship from your company. Sir please accept my request and mail me your decision as soon as possible.

45. Amit Singh