Summer Internship in Mathura – IOCL – making the most of opportunities

About Author: Shubhi Vashishtha, a B.Tech (Chemical Engineering) student from Banasthali University interned with Indian Oil Corporation Limited in Mathura Refinery. She shares her interesting internship experience with us.

When we hear the word ‘Internship’ the first image which flickers into our mind is the joy and freedom of being away from the class and into the cool, actual field experience with all the perks of the work culture, hanging out with colleagues, freedom to apply our own minds and not cramming and vomiting out of the text books as is required by our education system. Well, not all are lucky enough to achieve this dream, but then, some actually do. This being my second internship, after the one I did in Delhi Jal Board, I somewhat knew what to expect of a government system, but what blew me away was the sheer magnitude of the whole setup.

The Day I entered the refinery my first thought was ‘ Oh Crap! How am I gonna do this in 30 days?’ The only way it seemed possible to cover the whole production setup of IOCL’s famed Mathura Refinery was to swing about like Tarzan from one unit to another:). This thought escalated to the form of a panic attack when even after our first week we were sitting ducks in the conference room of the refinery since we were yet to be allotted our hard hats and needed to get ourselves some safety shoes (which turned out to weigh literally a ton on our feet!). The initiation of our internship was a fire and safety drill, we met a young engineer who told us all the perks of being an IOCL employee and all the great places to visit while on the job, the hotspots of the nearby areas, he gave us a brief up of the various protocols to be followed and “either do your job diligently or just enjoy and get your certificates and get the hell out” speech, which is remembered quite fondly till this day.

When we did finally get to peek inside the production area ( minus our cell phones as they were not allowed inside the battery limits- the only downside of the trip), we were astounded to see that we had more than 21 units to cover in the 21 days that we had left with us. Since it was our once in a life time opportunity to explore the legendary refinery, rather than sticking to one unit and wondering about the rest, we gave a shot at covering all the units by going to each unit control panel and interacting about the system with the shift engineer in charge and then coercing them into giving us a field trip of the unit. We learnt a whole lot about the whole oil production system and the actual process of it on site was just awesome. We rated the engineers on the scale of 6 to 10 for all the information they gave us and some of them were so damn good that we were praying to god to swap them with our professors anytime :P .

Well, although it’s a tough feat to ask some one to travel a whole hour in the sweltering temperature of the Indian June afternoon to come for internship, it paid out to be more than worth it; with us learning and gaining an experience which will be pretty unforgettable. So, all you interns out there (or to be interns) don’t wallow in what you don’t have but be happy with what you got and make the best of it because what you learn from an experience and what you don’t is always in your hands.

If Shubhi‘s internship experience motivates you, you may want to view the latest internships.

You may want to check latest internship in Delhi.

75 thoughts on “Summer Internship in Mathura – IOCL – making the most of opportunities

• September 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

how did u aaply for internship?

• December 1, 2015 at 5:29 PM

I am student of united group and also doing training

• September 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

hello sir/mam, this is Bilal, doing BE biotechnology in Bangalore, PESIT college. i want to do the internship in chemical engineering in summer-2013 (10th JUNE to 13th AUGUST).. I m interested in biological thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, bioprocessig, chemical reaction engineering.. i want to finish the internship on this subjects.. can u please suggest me and how can i apply for this??? thanking you..

• October 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Sir/Mam,
    I am a student from Nit Warangal doing 2nd year in Chemical Engineering.Most of the companies have a criteria that one should be in 3rd year to apply for intern.Can u suggest for any company which does not have the above criteria and is of core chemical?

• November 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

hello sir/mam
    I m a 3rd year Chemical Engineering Student from BIT Sindri.Kindly suggest me few summer internships in India

• December 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

sir i m b.tech 3rd yr chemical eng student from banasthali university .. i wanna do summr training in mathura i.o.c.l (refinary plant) kindly suggest me nd tell me all requirement ,tymng s
    my i.d swatiagarwal700@gmail.com

• January 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM

dear
    sir/mam
    i am a student of chemical engineering 3rd year, and i want to take training in IOCL , at time 20june to 20 July. so gives the instruction how to apply for summer training ….

• January 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

hi ,can you suggest me any internship course

• February 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

sir/madam,
    i am 2nd year chemical student and i want to intern for two months june and july 2013. please help me for the same

• February 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Dear sir/mam i am a student of cse 3rd year from West Bengal University Of Technology . I want to join an internship programme in iocl. please suggest me the ways to reach and complete a growing internship from IOCL . Waiting For Reply….THANKING YOU…. Vipul sharan

• February 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

plzz tell me about OIL INDIA ASSAM ,,will it be beneficial for me ..for summer internship

P.S. i am a btech 3rd yr chemical eng. student from IIT roorkee

reply soon plzzz

• February 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

i need to know bout the internships in IOCL this summer….

Talking bout myself… I am persuing Btech from Mechanical and i am in my pre-final year(6th semester)..

If anyone have any info regarding my query kindly drop me a msg in my inbox..

Waiting for the reply.. :)

• February 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

@Sanjay , Apoorv : Hi, currently we do not have any information on internship at IOCL. But there are many other internships that you may find relevant; please go through this list and this list and see if you find anything suitable.

Also subscribe to Internshala and you’ll receive alerts on all future internships.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• February 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

hi, sir how to apply for internship at iocl
    i m pursuing m.tech (chemical plant design) now i m in 2nd sem
    from nitk surathkal mangalore

reply me as soon as possible

• February 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM

summer training of mathura refinary

• March 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Sir,
    Iam b.tech second year student in chemical engg. I want to do summer trainining at iocl mathura. Give me suggestion about it, whether it will be benefitial in second or in third year.

• April 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM

sir/mam
    i am a student of chemical engineering 3rd year, and i want to take training in IOCL , at time 20 june to 20 July. so gives the instruction how to apply for summer training ….

• April 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

i wish to join in some internship after my first year in ece enginering?

• April 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

sir, I am student of b.tech environmental engineering(3rd year) in GEC,DELHI,please tell me all the private & govt. company names with their contact details in which i can do internship in this june.
    please reply asap.

• April 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

sir
    i am b.tech 2nd year student of Hindustan college of science and technology Farah Mathura
    so please tell me the procedure to join summer internship in Mathura refinery

• April 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

hello..
    .m b.tech 3yr sathyabama university…wanna do projects on petroleum products…plzzz can anyone suggest me how can do it from mathura refinery….thank u

• April 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

sir
    i m Gajraj singh from cipet lucknow..
    i m student of B.Tech 3rd year. sir i want to do summer trainning from your organisation….
    please give me a chance..

• April 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

sir
    i m vijay verma from b.i.t. meerut
    please give me a chance..

• April 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

respected sir
    i am alok kumar from jnu jaipur i am a student of btech third year.i want to do summer training from your organisation.reply plzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• May 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

summer traning

• May 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM

i am summer training in marketing

• May 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM

sir am student of rajeev academy of 2nd semister student i want to do training in mathura refinery how i will apply for summer training pls tell me

• December 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

What all details has to be given while applying for summer internship in your esteeemed organisation?

• January 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM

hello sir,
    my name is trilok singh .i am doing b-tech from chemical engineering branch in 3rd year from jAYPEE UNIVERSITY OF ENGG&TECHNOLOGY RAGHOGARH GUNA (M.P) i wanna internship in the refinery tell me the procedure of doing the tranning &selection criteria
    thx
    yours obediently
    trilok singh

• January 29, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Iam pursuing MBA and goning to take finance spcialization from Banasthali Vidyapith. i want to do summer
    training in bank or any other company, which company I should apply? IS IOCL conduct training for MBA?

• February 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

hi.. i m a student of Msc APPLIED GEOLOGY.. i want to do summer internship in IOCL. plzz help me out,
    how to apply?? wat r the procedures?? their requirments…
    thankss

• February 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

i am 3rd year mechanical engg student .i wanted to do summer traning in iocl in 2014.please tell me the procedure for applying in it

• February 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Am pursuing my mba now and wanna do internship in iocl for 2014,could u give me the related info.i submitted my resume in their official website bt didnt get any reply back

• March 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Dear sir,
    i do not have any info regarding summer training in iocl that we know of as of now

• March 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Hi RaviRanjan,

If you are looking for other internships, please visit Internshala website for various recent internship opportunities. Here is the link: http://internshala.com/internships.

You may also like to subscribe to Internshala – http://www.internshala.com/subscribe/ to receive future relevant internships in your inbox.

Many thanks,
    Team Internshala.
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• March 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Sir/Mam,
    I am a student from nims universiyy jaipur doing 2nd year in Petroleum Engineering.Most of the companies have a criteria that one should be in 3rd year to apply for intern.Can u suggest for any company which does not have the above criteria and is of core chemical?

• April 21, 2014 at 3:25 AM

I am a second year metallurgy student from INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY,SHIBPUR(erstwhile BENGAL ENGINEERING AND SCIENCE UNIVERSITY,SHIBPUR , are there any openings for internships in IOCL

• April 21, 2014 at 3:28 AM

sir,
    I am a second year metallurgy student from INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY,SHIBPUR(erstwhile BENGAL ENGINEERING AND SCIENCE UNIVERSITY,SHIBPUR , are there any openings for internships in any govt company.

• April 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Respected sir/mam

I m a student of BE IT 2 yr passout from Madhav Institute Of Tech. and Science,Gwalior
    I am interested in summer training by IOCL.Kindly let me know if there is any such program available and the procedure followed to apply for it.Its really urgent. kindly reply

• February 17, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Respected sir/mam
    i am b tech 3rd year chemical engg. student at Anand engg. college agra.

• March 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM

respected sir/mam
    i am about to complete my 2nd year of mechanical engineering from Gautam Buddha University, greater noida.
    I m interested in heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics(boiler, feed pump, turbine etc.). i am resident of agra thats why i want to do internship in mathura refinery in these coming summer vacations. so suggest me that how to apply for internship.

• March 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM

dear
    sir/mam
    i am a student of M.S.W (Master of Social Work) goning to take IRPM spcialization from Agra University 4th Sem 2016 , and i want to take training in IOCL Mathura (U.P) , so gives the instruction how to apply for summer training ….

• March 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Hi Manveer,

We do not have any information regarding Summer training at IOCL that we know of as of now.

Regards,

• June 3, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Hello ..sir /mam
    I m Kuldeep Yadav from BTech mechanical 3rd year student I hv apply for summer training but I m not satisfied with iocl mathura recommend date .am I join after 15 July plz help me..
    Thanks a lot sir/mam .

• June 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Hi Kuldeep,

Regards,

• November 2, 2016 at 3:12 PM

I had diploma in electronics and want to job in mathura iocl.so pls reply.

• April 5, 2017 at 9:52 PM

hello sir/ma’am
    Currently I m pursuing MBA from Hindustan Institute of Management & Computer Studies, Farah, Mathura. In my 2nd yr. I will be doing specialization in the field of Finance & HR. Regarding internship, I have heard a lot, about your reputed company and I want to join it as an intern. In your company I will be able to enhance my skills and knowledge in a better way and it will be very beneficial for my future.
    Eagerly waiting for your reply..

• May 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM

Sir/medam
    Sir, I am a student of B.Tech (mechanical )3nd year. I’m from jaipur
    I want to do training in iocl how can I apply for it..

• July 29, 2017 at 11:10 PM

Respected sir/mam
    I m aashita,pursuing BE 4 yr 7th sem in fire and safety..i want to intrnship in IOCl
    May u plz..help me..how to apply??

Reply as soon as possible…
    Thnks