Summer Internship in Mathura – IOCL – making the most of opportunities

September 1st, 2012 52 comments

About Author: Shubhi Vashishtha, a B.Tech (Chemical Engineering) student from Banasthali University interned with Indian Oil Corporation Limited in Mathura Refinery. She shares her interesting internship experience with us.

When we hear the word ‘Internship’ the first image which flickers into our mind is the joy and freedom of being away from the class and into the cool, actual field experience with all the perks of the work culture, hanging out with colleagues, freedom to apply our own minds and not cramming and vomiting out of the text books as is required by our education system. Well, not all are lucky enough to achieve this dream, but then, some actually do. This being my second internship, after the one I did in Delhi Jal Board, I somewhat knew what to expect of a government system, but what blew me away was the sheer magnitude of the whole setup.

The Day I entered the refinery my first thought was ‘ Oh Crap! How am I gonna do this in 30 days?’ The only way it seemed possible to cover the whole production setup of IOCL’s famed Mathura Refinery was to swing about like Tarzan from one unit to another:). This thought escalated to the form of a panic attack when even after our first week we were sitting ducks in the conference room of the refinery since we were yet to be allotted our hard hats and needed to get ourselves some safety shoes (which turned out to weigh literally a ton on our feet!). The initiation of our internship was a fire and safety drill, we met a young engineer who told us all the perks of being an IOCL employee and all the great places to visit while on the job, the hotspots of the nearby areas, he gave us a brief up of the various protocols to be followed and “either do your job diligently or just enjoy and get your certificates and get the hell out” speech, which is remembered quite fondly till this day.

When we did finally get to peek inside the production area ( minus our cell phones as they were not allowed inside the battery limits- the only downside of the trip), we were astounded to see that we had more than 21 units to cover in the 21 days that we had left with us. Since it was our once in a life time opportunity to explore the legendary refinery, rather than sticking to one unit and wondering about the rest, we gave a shot at covering all the units by going to each unit control panel and interacting about the system with the shift engineer in charge and then coercing them into giving us a field trip of the unit. We learnt a whole lot about the whole oil production system and the actual process of it on site was just awesome. We rated the engineers on the scale of 6 to 10 for all the information they gave us and some of them were so damn good that we were praying to god to swap them with our professors anytime :P .

Well, although it’s a tough feat to ask some one to travel a whole hour in the sweltering temperature of the Indian June afternoon to come for internship, it paid out to be more than worth it; with us learning and gaining an experience which will be pretty unforgettable. So, all you interns out there (or to be interns) don’t wallow in what you don’t have but be happy with what you got and make the best of it because what you learn from an experience and what you don’t is always in your hands.

Participate in Your Internship Story Contest 2012 and win prizes worth Rs. 50,000! Hurry, the competition ends soon.

Comments

comments

Like Internshala on Facebook
  1. op
    September 5th, 2012 at 12:25 | #1

how did u aaply for internship?

2. Bilal N Jamadar
    September 13th, 2012 at 12:09 | #2

hello sir/mam, this is Bilal, doing BE biotechnology in Bangalore, PESIT college. i want to do the internship in chemical engineering in summer-2013 (10th JUNE to 13th AUGUST).. I m interested in biological thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, bioprocessig, chemical reaction engineering.. i want to finish the internship on this subjects.. can u please suggest me and how can i apply for this??? thanking you..

3. September 13th, 2012 at 18:47 | #3

@Bilal N Jamadar
    Hi – Please check out http://blog.internshala.com/?s=chemical
    Hope this helps. All the best!

Many Thanks
    LinkedIn- http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

4. Anshul
    October 26th, 2012 at 19:11 | #4

Sir/Mam,
    I am a student from Nit Warangal doing 2nd year in Chemical Engineering.Most of the companies have a criteria that one should be in 3rd year to apply for intern.Can u suggest for any company which does not have the above criteria and is of core chemical?

5. October 28th, 2012 at 17:24 | #5

@Anshul
    Hi Anshul – We have recently posted an international internship at LPI, USA which is exclusively for Chemical Engineering students. Have you seen it?

Many thanks
    LinkedIn- http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

6. Nazish
    November 1st, 2012 at 00:29 | #6

hello sir/mam
    I m a 3rd year Chemical Engineering Student from BIT Sindri.Kindly suggest me few summer internships in India

7. swati agarwal
    December 27th, 2012 at 17:15 | #7

sir i m b.tech 3rd yr chemical eng student from banasthali university .. i wanna do summr training in mathura i.o.c.l (refinary plant) kindly suggest me nd tell me all requirement ,tymng s
    my i.d swatiagarwal700@gmail.com

8. Dhananjay
    January 19th, 2013 at 22:01 | #9

dear
    sir/mam
    i am a student of chemical engineering 3rd year, and i want to take training in IOCL , at time 20june to 20 July. so gives the instruction how to apply for summer training ….

9. ashwin
    January 23rd, 2013 at 17:54 | #11

hi ,can you suggest me any internship course

10. vivek
    February 3rd, 2013 at 15:03 | #13

sir/madam,
    i am 2nd year chemical student and i want to intern for two months june and july 2013. please help me for the same

11. Vipul Sharan
    February 6th, 2013 at 06:42 | #15

Dear sir/mam i am a student of cse 3rd year from West Bengal University Of Technology . I want to join an internship programme in iocl. please suggest me the ways to reach and complete a growing internship from IOCL . Waiting For Reply….THANKING YOU…. Vipul sharan

12. sanjay
    February 14th, 2013 at 12:42 | #17

plzz tell me about OIL INDIA ASSAM ,,will it be beneficial for me ..for summer internship

P.S. i am a btech 3rd yr chemical eng. student from IIT roorkee

reply soon plzzz

13. Apoorv
    February 21st, 2013 at 01:52 | #18

i need to know bout the internships in IOCL this summer….

Talking bout myself… I am persuing Btech from Mechanical and i am in my pre-final year(6th semester)..

If anyone have any info regarding my query kindly drop me a msg in my inbox..

Waiting for the reply.. :)

14. February 22nd, 2013 at 22:22 | #20

@Sanjay , Apoorv : Hi, currently we do not have any information on internship at IOCL. But there are many other internships that you may find relevant; please go through this list and this list and see if you find anything suitable.

Also subscribe to Internshala and you’ll receive alerts on all future internships.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

15. Amit
    February 23rd, 2013 at 20:08 | #21

hi, sir how to apply for internship at iocl
    i m pursuing m.tech (chemical plant design) now i m in 2nd sem
    from nitk surathkal mangalore

reply me as soon as possible

16. February 24th, 2013 at 20:31 | #22

@Amit

Please read the comments directly above yours, your question has been answered there.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

17. rajkumar gupta
    February 26th, 2013 at 08:45 | #23

summer training of mathura refinary

18. ARVIND SIKARWAR
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:44 | #24

Sir,
    Iam b.tech second year student in chemical engg. I want to do summer trainining at iocl mathura. Give me suggestion about it, whether it will be benefitial in second or in third year.

19. vijay verma
    April 5th, 2013 at 15:00 | #26

sir/mam
    i am a student of chemical engineering 3rd year, and i want to take training in IOCL , at time 20 june to 20 July. so gives the instruction how to apply for summer training ….

20. siddhartha
    April 6th, 2013 at 21:29 | #28

i wish to join in some internship after my first year in ece enginering?

21. Ashish
    April 8th, 2013 at 15:15 | #30

sir, I am student of b.tech environmental engineering(3rd year) in GEC,DELHI,please tell me all the private & govt. company names with their contact details in which i can do internship in this june.
    please reply asap.

22. Abhinav kumar singh
    April 10th, 2013 at 16:25 | #31

sir
    i am b.tech 2nd year student of Hindustan college of science and technology Farah Mathura
    so please tell me the procedure to join summer internship in Mathura refinery

23. ankit
    April 14th, 2013 at 16:37 | #32

hello..
    .m b.tech 3yr sathyabama university…wanna do projects on petroleum products…plzzz can anyone suggest me how can do it from mathura refinery….thank u

24. Gajraj singh
    April 16th, 2013 at 23:58 | #33

sir
    i m Gajraj singh from cipet lucknow..
    i m student of B.Tech 3rd year. sir i want to do summer trainning from your organisation….
    please give me a chance..

25. April 22nd, 2013 at 12:55 | #34

sir
    i m vijay verma from b.i.t. meerut
    please give me a chance..

26. alok kumar dubey
    April 22nd, 2013 at 20:45 | #35

respected sir
    i am alok kumar from jnu jaipur i am a student of btech third year.i want to do summer training from your organisation.reply plzzzzzzzzzzzz.

27. manojkumar
    May 10th, 2013 at 13:08 | #36

summer traning

28. manojkumar
    May 10th, 2013 at 13:13 | #37

i am summer training in marketing

29. vinni nagrani
    May 16th, 2013 at 22:23 | #38

sir am student of rajeev academy of 2nd semister student i want to do training in mathura refinery how i will apply for summer training pls tell me

30. Pranjal
    December 4th, 2013 at 09:40 | #39

What all details has to be given while applying for summer internship in your esteeemed organisation?

31. January 24th, 2014 at 19:01 | #41

hello sir,
    my name is trilok singh .i am doing b-tech from chemical engineering branch in 3rd year from jAYPEE UNIVERSITY OF ENGG&TECHNOLOGY RAGHOGARH GUNA (M.P) i wanna internship in the refinery tell me the procedure of doing the tranning &selection criteria
    thx
    yours obediently
    trilok singh

32. parveen
    January 29th, 2014 at 16:32 | #43

Iam pursuing MBA and goning to take finance spcialization from Banasthali Vidyapith. i want to do summer
    training in bank or any other company, which company I should apply? IS IOCL conduct training for MBA?

33. parul
    February 11th, 2014 at 17:00 | #44

hi.. i m a student of Msc APPLIED GEOLOGY.. i want to do summer internship in IOCL. plzz help me out,
    how to apply?? wat r the procedures?? their requirments…
    thankss

34. anil israni
    February 12th, 2014 at 22:17 | #46

i am 3rd year mechanical engg student .i wanted to do summer traning in iocl in 2014.please tell me the procedure for applying in it

35. siri
    February 22nd, 2014 at 19:41 | #48

Am pursuing my mba now and wanna do internship in iocl for 2014,could u give me the related info.i submitted my resume in their official website bt didnt get any reply back

36. RaviRanjan kumar singh
    March 12th, 2014 at 16:20 | #50

Dear sir,
    i do not have any info regarding summer training in iocl that we know of as of now

37. March 13th, 2014 at 02:37 | #51

Hi RaviRanjan,

If you are looking for other internships, please visit Internshala website for various recent internship opportunities. Here is the link: http://internshala.com/internships.

You may also like to subscribe to Internshala – http://www.internshala.com/subscribe/ to receive future relevant internships in your inbox.

Many thanks,
    Team Internshala.
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

38. RATIRANJAN KUMAR JHA
    March 27th, 2014 at 19:49 | #52

Sir/Mam,
    I am a student from nims universiyy jaipur doing 2nd year in Petroleum Engineering.Most of the companies have a criteria that one should be in 3rd year to apply for intern.Can u suggest for any company which does not have the above criteria and is of core chemical?

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Refund & Cancellation Policy