MBARI Summer Internship Program 2013 – Ocean Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical, Software Engineering, Microbiology, Geology – California, USA

December 9th, 2012 19 comments

MBARI Summer Internship Program 2012A VERY niche international internship opportunity for those who are fascinated by the world of Oceans! With state-of-the-art facilities and equipment that includes research vessels, remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) to explore the deep ocean, MBARI’s Summer Internship Program offers undergraduate and graduate students (including international students) unique opportunities to be involved in advanced research and development projects. Sounds exciting? The last date to apply is February 13, 2013 – hurry!

About MBARI: - The mission of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI, http://www.mbari.org/education/internship/default.htm) is to serve as a world center for advanced research and education in ocean science and technology. MBARI strives to achieve this mission through the development of better instruments, systems, and methods for scientific research in the deep ocean. MBARI emphasizes peer relationships between engineers and scientists as a basic principle of its operation. Teams at MBARI use cutting-edge technology to develop equipment, software, and research methods to meet the specific needs of deep-sea research.

About Internship: - The focus of the MBARI internship is on the intern’s professional development—learning research techniques and improving communication and collaboration skills. Each intern will have an MBARI mentor who will supervise a specific project. Interns will also serve as peer-mentors to other interns. The potential internship opportunities are available in following areas: -

• Ocean observation systems
  • In situ chemical analyses
  • Mechanical engineering
  • Software engineering
  • Electrical engineering
  • Sensor development
  • Physical oceanography
  • Ocean-floor mapping
  • Geology
  • Microbiology
  • Deep-sea ecology
  • Web design
  • Video technology
  • Science writing

Who can apply: – All undergraduate and graduate students in relevant internship areas.

Location: - MBARI, California, USA

Duration: - 10 weeks (10th June – 16th August, 2013)

Stipend: – $500/week for 10 weeks + partial travel support may be available. Housing costs are not included; however, MBARI will try to help arrange shared housing for all interested interns.

How to apply: - Please refer to MBARI Summer Internship 2013 page for more info and application details. The last date to apply is 13th February, 2013 – hurry!

Editor’s note: – Information above is my interpretation and paraphrasing of what I found on the shared link. If you have any more specific information on this internship or have interned in this program before and would like to share your experience, please leave a comment.

You can also share any meaningful internship that you know and join the movement to build a Wikipedia of internships and win exciting prizes. Check out the FAQs Section for more details.

Logo image credit: – http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1239511968/MBARI_Logo.jpg

Comments

comments

Like Internshala on Facebook
  1. Raj kumar
    December 13th, 2011 at 21:30 | #1

dear sir, i am a student of electronics and communication engineering at JNTU college . can you show me the way to get this in doing mini projects..?
    Thank you very much.

2. December 15th, 2012 at 05:24 | #3

Sir I am studying mechanical engineering and am in my 3-2 sem
    So am I eligible enough to apply for this
    Cause I am new to internship’s and am very much interested in ocean technologies

3. December 21st, 2012 at 19:09 | #4

@siddharth

Hi Siddharth – yes, you are eligible to apply.

Many thanks
    LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
    Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

4. satish
    December 22nd, 2012 at 16:46 | #5

sir, i’m a student of electrical and electronics engineering(2nd yr ,2nd sem) at Nit,warangal.I want to do my internship abroad so i would like u to suggest me if u have any good idea in mind.I would like u to also suggest me about any industrial internship in India.

5. December 31st, 2012 at 12:56 | #7

sir,
    is this internship is also for msc 1st yr students?

6. Raj
    January 27th, 2013 at 12:03 | #8

sir, i am an nit student, but the duration above given is not suitable for me, as our institute is going to open on 21st July and our vacation is from may 1st to july 21st… am i eligible for this???

7. Chandan krishna
    January 27th, 2013 at 14:02 | #10

Sir i m a student of ee 2nd year-2nd sem.. Am i eligible for this programme.. If yes then in which section??

8. AKASH JAKHMOLA
    January 28th, 2013 at 18:22 | #12

SIR M A STUDENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, FINAL YEAR PTU COLLEGE SPEC….CAN I APPLY FOR IT???
    i m in my 8th semester and wants to do internship for my future
    and sir please tell me about what we have written on recommendation letters..please email me the whole procedure to apply
    thankyuo very much

9. AKASH JAKHMOLA
    January 28th, 2013 at 18:41 | #14

We expect to receive recommendation letters on your behalf from: (Include at least three)
    akash jakhmola here….
    sir please tell me what we have to be written here

10. akash jakhmola
    January 30th, 2013 at 14:01 | #16

SIR PLEASE TELL ME THESE PROFESSORS ARE ALL BELONGING TO MECHANICAL BRANCH OR NOT? AND PLEASE TELL ME TO SEND THE PROCESS …..CANT UNDERSTAND THE SENDING PROCEDURE OF COVER LETTER>……
    PLEASE TELL ME THE PROCEDURE OF SENDING PLEASE…..

11. Rupesh Jain
    August 2nd, 2013 at 16:31 | #18

Sir
    You have mentioned 10 weeks programme for internship but we are required to pursue 7 month training by our university in our last semester, so do you provide this period of training

12. August 3rd, 2013 at 08:56 | #19

Dear Rupesh,

The application deadline for this internship has gone past.

I recommend you to subscribe (http://blog.internshala.com/internshala-subscribe/) to Internshala so that you don’t miss on good opportunities, as you’d receive weekly notification.

Many thanks