Summer Internship at Google – Anushka Chanana from TA Pai Management Institute

Anushka Chanana recollects her exhilarating experience of interning at Google India this summer. Anushka is an MBA student at TA Pai Management Institute. Read on to discover her exciting days of learning at Google in her own words.

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn”- Benjamin Franklin

Internship is a practical exposure to what we learn in our classes all through our studies. It, thus, is an important part of our learning process. And if this exposure is from a company like GOOGLE, then it becomes an experience to share.

It was the beginning of December last year, when I got to know that I was shortlisted from Google for an interview for the position of summer intern. I was happy as well as nervous. I had been shortlisted by many companies before for interviews, but somehow wasn’t able to give in my best. This had made me feel a bit nervous of how I would perform in this interview. But, I didn’t lose hope and started preparing for the telephonic interview. Luckily, I cleared the first round and then was the “Hangout Round” of interview. This interview went for about an hour and ended at a very happy note. I felt positive of my selection about the interview. Two days later, the results were announced and I found my name in three selected candidates out of the twenty people.

My internship had to start on 7th April, 2014. The last few days of March went in dreaming of the days that were about to come. Also, I was excited as two of us (my colleague from the college and I) had to join the Gurgaon office and I would be able to stay close to my family for the next two months. I reached Delhi a day before our joining date and checked into the accommodation provided by Google. It was a well-known hotel with all the basic amenities provided. This made me even more excited about the next day when I would be actually joining THE GOOGLE’s office.

Finally, the day came. We were asked to report at 8 am. I reached office well before time. Upon arrival to the office, I was received by the HR. He told me about the schedule for the day. The induction was to start at 9 am. All of us (the interns) had an hour at hand, so he took all of us for breakfast. Then, we were escorted till the meeting room where the orientation process was to take place. The orientation process (called the Noogler orientation) for all the interns at all locations (Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Bangalore) happened at the same time through video conferencing from Hyderabad. This process went on for two days where all the interns were explained about the different processes within the organization. Also, many fun activities (like finding objects in the office having names starting from A-Z and taking photographs of those objects) took place so that the interns open up with each other. We also received our Noogler swags. Everything happened in the same way as shown in the movie “The Internship”.

Once the orientation was over, we were introduced to our mentors who took over from there. All the interns were assigned to different teams. My co-intern and I were assigned to the same team, that is, India Small and Medium Business Sales Team. Our mentor assigned us to the intern lead who showed us the office and what to find where. The whole office had many breakout zones (different from canteen) which had beverages and food ranging from dry-fruits to chips to fresh fruits. All these breakout zones were based on some beautiful themes. In one of the breakout zones, there was a TT table and a billiards table, which was available for the whole day (unlike other organizations, where employees are allowed to play only after the working hours). Also, to de-stress ourselves and relax, massage chairs were kept in various breakout zones. I had always heard of the casual work environment of Google, and here I was witnessing everything from my eyes. There is no doubt in Google winning the award for “Best Places to Work for”.

After a brief round of introduction with the team, I was asked to shadow each unit to understand how the sales calls take place in the team. Also, I was told to understand the basic work done within each unit and how one unit differs from the other. This took two days to complete. After two days, both of us (my co-intern and me) were given a combined assignment to understand the “Advertising Landscape of India”. We were given one day to present our findings to the mentors and the lead. After presenting the assignment to the mentors, we were then asked to improvise and present the assignment to the whole team. The presentation was well received by the whole team. This assignment helped me gain a lot of knowledge on the advertising industry of India.

Once this assignment was completed, I was given an option of choosing between two projects. I took up the project on “Understanding the agency landscape of India and help Google evolve its ecosystem”. It was a challenging project as I had no prior knowledge of this particular player in the advertising industry. Once the project was assigned, I set the key objectives of the project with my lead.

This project gave me a good opportunity to understand the advertising agency business in India completely. The research was challenging as there was no set structure to start with the project. I had to chart out a plan myself of how I should go about completing the project. Hence, it gave me a chance to explore things independently and gain more and more knowledge. The project went on for about 7-8 weeks in the 10 week internship period. During this time period, I got a chance to interact with many employees within my team and outside the team. Proper and timely feedback was given on whether the approach adopted was correct or whether there was deviation from the objectives set by the mentors. During the last week of the internship, I had to present my project and conclusions to the mentors as well as the team.

Google, as an organization, cultivates a culture of innovation. This was completely evident from the style in which I was working. Moreover, I started with a weekly “Agency Newsletter” within the team which was again well received by everyone. Also, I got a chance to volunteer for a social cause during its flagship event “GoogleServe”. I went to an orphanage called “SOS Children’s Villages” in Faridabad to advice students on interpersonal and interview skills studying in various classes ranging from Class 9th to 12th

At last, on 13th June, this 10 week journey came to an end. This journey of working with Google was like a “dream come true” for me. There was a proper balance between work and fun like I went out for an onsite party with the team to Neemrana Fort, which helped me to connect with my teammates. There were several other occasions where fun element was added to the work. Overall, it was a wonderful experience of working with Google. If given a chance, I would love to be a permanent member of the Google family.

If Anushka‘s experience motivates you, you can view the latest internship in Delhi.

Editor’s note- Have you got an internship story to share? A chance to win cool Internshala T and other cash prizes by sharing your internship story here.

47 thoughts on “Summer Internship at Google – Anushka Chanana from TA Pai Management Institute

• September 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Very well written article. And your experience sounds amazing. Congrats and best of luck for the future :)

• September 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Nice article. Congrats and Best of luck Anu for future.

• September 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

can u pls tell me that wat to do for getting an internships at google,microsoft

• September 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Hi Priyansha,
      Anushka, the author might not be following the post. You may write to her personally, through Facebook or LinkedIn.

• January 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Hello Anushka

I am also searching for internship please tell me how i am getting internship please guide me .

• January 13, 2015 at 6:18 PM

I want summer Training in civil ,please give me some idea

• March 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM

What will be criteria of selection for internship?

• April 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM

How Can I approach you, Mam To get Internship in Your company
    I Have a strong Interest to do Internship in your Company
    Please Let me Know and Send me Details about internship……..!

• May 1, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Nice article!
    Right now m pursuing my graduation. I m searching for the summer internships in HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, could you please give any ideas about it.

• May 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Hi Rythm,

You may view the latest HR Internships here.

Good luck :)

• May 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM

hii…i am in 12th and i want to knw is there any paid internship for photographers…as a assistance or anything..

• June 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM

May I know, What’s the eligibility to apply for Interns at companies like Google?

• June 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Hi Pratik,

Different profiles require different skills. We suggest you to visit here to find more on internships at Google and their respective requirements.

Hope this helps

• June 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Thanks for your reply..!

• June 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM

I really want to do an internship.. … ..

• June 26, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Hi Kushal,

We suggest you to visit here for latest internships and apply to the one(s) which suit you the best. Also, you may subscribe to our weekly updates here.

• October 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Hi.
    I m pursuing B.Tech in Information Technology stream. I m searching for the winter internships in abroad.Could u help me??Plzzz

• October 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM

I want to do internship from HR . please tell me the companies who provide training to MBA(HR) Students?

• November 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I want to do internship in Google … how do I apply .. and is there 2months training possible …?

• January 13, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Hello mam,

• January 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Hello mam,
    I m ritu raj. I m searching for internship for oil technology. Please suggest me about this internship.

• July 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM

This sounds very good.

• July 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Hi sir,
    . I am Sridhar reddy k.i am pursuing b.tech ECE 3rd year .i am searching for internship in ece core field or software in Hyderabad.can u suggest me about these internship.

• July 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM

I also want internsips in production & Industrial engineering. Can you please recommend?

• August 10, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Congrats Anu….
    Can u plz tell me for E.C. internships in well-reputed companies like google types, i mean MNC’s type..

• August 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Hello sir/mam
    My name is paras and I am a law graduate student (2016) waiting for my results. Can I do internship as a intern in any company or firm? And can you please suggest me which field have a bright future. Actually I am interested to go for private sector so what should I do.

• September 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Hi Paras,

Thank you for writing in. We are excited to have you on our platform :)

To apply to awesome internships register with us using the following link (it’s free!)

internshala.com/registration/student

You can check internship in the field of Law here –

And apply to the ones which suit your profile the best. Hope it helps.

• September 19, 2016 at 7:13 PM

May i know how to apply to get internship at Google in android development for the cse student…..who is studying their third year……..congrats to you

• October 12, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Can anyone tell me…
    1. What is the relationship between Anushka’s Google Internship and Internshala?
    As in one of the comments she has replied that she got selected from campus…

2. Who Inrenshala helps in providing Internship with Big-IT gaints?
    3. And what is gain of doing Internship, directly from Internshala?

• October 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Hi Mahi,

Thank you for writing in. Anushka shared her internship story on the Internshala platform through ‘Share Your Internship Story Contest’, which is organized by Internshala every year.

We have multiples internships from the big giants such as Reliance, Tech Mahindra, UBER, McDonald, Philips,etc. You can check the internships posted on our platform here-

Internshala is an online internship platform, where we have internships in almost all the profiles and categories. You need not pay anything to apply for the internships. Most of the internships (other than government and NGOs) come with a cool stipend. We issue a certificate of merit for every internship you get hired for.
      So, start your journey to the awesome internships on Internshala and give your career a flight by registering with us at this link-

Hope it helps.

• February 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM

I am pursuing BE in ETC field at 3rd year so i want to do internship in this summer in big- gaints company I.e Google,reliance,tcs,etc…so plz kindly guide about how to register for such company’s..

• March 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM

i am pursuing B.TECH in chemical enginnering field at 3rd year so i want to do internship in this summer in big gaints company so can i get proper knowledge on my subject from industries like IGL,ONGC , TATA STEELS…etc ….so plzzz kindly guide about how to register for such company……

• June 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Hi sir,
    I am Archana Kumari.i am passout b.tech CSE IN 2014 .i have working 2years but not got good platfrom and slary so again i want to do internship in this summer in big- gaints company I.e Google,reliance,tcs,etc…so plz kindly guide about how to register for such company’s…

• June 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Hi Archana,

Thank you for writing in. Currently, we do not have internships of your preference. However, you can look for the internships in your preferred companies by checking their career page. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

• August 2, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Yes I want to do internship with internship with google, microsoft.