Interview with Anil Chopra, CEO & Director, Bajaj Capital

Internshala catches up with Anil Chopra, CEO & Director, Bajaj Capital, to understand the working of their internship program.

It’s a two-way process. They (interns) develop their skill-set and we get access to the immensely talented pool of youth.

CEO-BCLMr. Anil Chopra – Group CEO & Director, Bajaj Capital makes it perfectly clear, during his interview with Internshala, that interns in Bajaj Capital have imparted immense value to the organization. Excerpts-

Hi Anil. Welcome and thank you for doing this. Could you please provide us an overview of the internship programs at Bajaj Capital?

Hello. Glad to help. The basic objective of internship at Bajaj Capital is to provide the applicant a glance at both financial market & financial instruments. They get a fundamental understanding of the basic functionality of BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance) industry. Usually we run our internship programs twice a year – Summer Internship Program and Winter Internship Program.

We hire interns across all departments for varying tenure (from 45 days to 3 months), depending on the type of projects. We generally recruit Master’s students, but in a few projects, depending on the requirements, we have also taken in graduates.

What qualities should an intern have in order to score an internship at your company and what methods do you employ to recruit them?

Generally we visit a lot of colleges for internships programs and we also arrange off-campus interviews in our offices at various locations. Broadly we look for following qualities:
– Areas of interest
– Excellent communication skills
– Openness to learning
– Candidates should have dedication & enthusiasm

What kind of roles/projects are interns given and what should they expect to learn from it?

Different groups in our organization raise their request for interns along with the list of projects they are planning to undertake with their help. Keeping the interest area and potential of the interns in mind, we assign them a project.

The key learning of an intern is in accordance to their project. For example- if an intern has undertaken a project on recruitment & selection, then he/she will get be aware about the process flow for recruitment, methodologies of recruitment, hiring challenges etc.

Do you remember any particular project where interns played a critical role?

There was a project related with group mediclaim requirements for education industry. The interns selected for the project did massive survey & data collection across Delhi NCR. They visited lot of schools, colleges & educational centers. This was an activity which was executed effectively within the set timelines & we were able to get a very crucial data which, in a way, helped us to penetrate the education sector with our product.

In your opinion, what are the top mistakes that interns generally commit and you would like to warn a prospective intern about?

In the initial phase, there is a lack of seriousness about the project. They don’t readily understand their long-term impact on the project and most interns, coming off college, have inhibitions in interacting and communicating with seniors in the organization. It takes  them some time before they fully aware of their responsibilities at the organization.

How has the company benefited from the internship program?

The biggest benefit is related to exposure to fresh young pool of candidates who bring a lot of innovative ideas to the fore. This pool of talent is quite energetic and can also be deployed to projects which are monotonous in nature. This is also a cost effective way of executing various tasks/projects which come on a temporary basis.

Finally, what are the 3 things about Bajaj Capital that would make an internship experience of a candidate unforgettable?

Like I said, the objective is to develop a symbiotic process wherein both the parties benefit from each other. The three things would be –

a. Learning & exposure to corporate environment
b. Brief overview of BFSI (Banking, Financial Service and Insurance) Industry
c. Recognition of output related with on the job training/project

Thank you Anil for giving an insight into such a nicely implemented internship program at Bajaj Capital. We’re sure students on our platform will find this very useful.

Want a cheat sheet to secure that ever-elusive internship? Read the 7 secrets to secure an internship through Internshala.

Want to read more such articles? Subscribe here!

Are you an employer looking for interns? Hire interns through Internshala; it’s free and hassle-free.

26 thoughts on “Interview with Anil Chopra, CEO & Director, Bajaj Capital

• March 25, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I would like to do internship and how can I apply

• March 28, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Hello Sir,I want to do internship in marketing profile.How can I apply for your organization.

• March 25, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Currently pursuing MBA in marketing and want to apply. please share the details for application

• March 26, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Hi Karandeep,

We suggest you to keep a tab on the official website to know internship opportunities at the company.

Good luck!

• March 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Sir/Mam ,

I am currently pursuing MBA ( Finance And Control ) and I would like to do internship in such a prestigious organization. How can apply for internship.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Hi Sushil,

Good luck!

• March 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Sir i would like to do an summer internship please allow me sir

• March 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM

i am writing to you to express my interest and motivation in completing three months(Apr to June2015) summer internship in your prestigious company. My name is saheb khawash At this time I am pursuing my Master’s degree in Marketing at the IIMS . Hence, I am very interested in the Summer Internship Project implemented by your company.

I believe that combination of my skills, experience, and knowledge suits your expectation regarding profile of intern for advertised position. Preferably I would like to do my internship during summer, as I do not have any obligations at the University.

I look forward to learning about the next steps in the selection process and assure you that my commitment, enthusiasm, and professionalism will be a significant value to your team.
    I am enclosing my resume along with writing sample.
    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely

Saheb khawash

7721008113

• April 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Hi!

Good luck!

• March 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Sir,I m an undergraduate student pursuing B.TECH in MECHANICAL ENGG
    from JAMIA UNIVERSITY…i have to register for an INTERN PROGRAM..AT UR PRESTIGIOUS FIRM…how can I be selected

• March 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM

iam pursuing my MBA iam interested in HR feild so iwant to do my internship in hr .so, please can u suggest me what the process is.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Hi!

Good luck!

• March 25, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I would like to join with this internship. How can i apply

• April 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Hi Manvitha,

We suggest you to keep at tab at the official website of Bajaj Capital to view the latest internship opportunities with the company.

• March 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM

sir,
    now i am studying BE MECHANICAL ENGINEERING. I like to atten internship program. please sent my mail the procedure to apply for internship.

• March 28, 2015 at 10:21 AM

hello sir,
    i m pursuing b.com(h), 2nd year.
    i would like to do a internship in your company.
    how can i apply?

• April 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Hi!

Good luck!

• March 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Hello sir,
    I am currently pursuing B.Tech Mechanical engineering 3rd yr in SRM university.
    I ld like to do summer internship in ur esteemed firm
    So please let me know the procedure that how can i apply

• April 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Hi!

Good luck!

• April 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I am Prathima N of VIT business school studying in MBA 1st year is very glad to express interest towards your internship program. i have good combination of skills to join a internship. i am a hard worker and i am really good at what i do. i am a quick learner and a team player.
    i want a real time corporate experience in my internship and strongly believe that your company is one such kind company that provides students a valuable experience.
    One of the reason to do internship in this company is your reputation. please do send the link to apply internship. i sincerely believe that you would contact me soon.

• April 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Hi Prathima,

Good luck!

• April 10, 2015 at 10:31 PM

hello sir, I am very confused for intership . i am student of mba 2nd semester ( Hr and Marketing ) i want to take intership in reputed company please help me