How to get an internship at Google

How to get an internship at GoogleWell, who doesn’t know about Google? In all probability, you may have landed on this post because of the Google SEO and AdWords. One of the biggest players in its domain, it has offices in more than 40 countries across the globe and an internship in Google is one of the most prestigious internships for the college students all over the world.

What are the types of internships available at Google and who are eligible to apply?

Google offers Technical internships and Product Management internships to students pursuing graduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science and other related fields. For graduates, normally, 3rd or 4th year students are selected. If you are from any other stream but have sound coding and algorithm knowledge, you have equal chances of getting selected.

Google summer internships for MBA students are 10-12 weeks long and are offered in a range of functions across the company. Students who have completed 1st year of their MBA can apply.

You need to apply early on (October to January being the most optimal period), as most of the summer internship positions at Google are filled before February.

How to apply?

There are four major ways of applying:

1. Online application: Internships – Google careers
Applying online on the Google internship portal. You will need your resume (in PDF) and transcript.

2. Employee referral:
Ask someone in Google to refer you. You can find them on LinkedIn or Facebook. This will only get you past the resume screening process. After that, the procedure is same for everyone.

3. Mailing the Google HR:
Find a previous googler (Xoogler) or a former intern and ask her to provide you the e-mail address of the HR. Mail the HR directly, clearly stating your purpose, with a well-crafted cover letter and resume.

4. Google Summer of Code:
It’s not exactly an internship at Google; it’s a global program sponsored by Google where students work on the projects with open source organizations (previously selected by Google) independently under some mentorship. Students contact the mentor organizations they want to intern with and submit a project proposal. It’s a virtual aka work from home internship program.

What after applying?

Your resume and transcript will be evaluated by the recruiting team, and if you are deemed fit for the role, you will be participating in a series of technical interviews – some over the phone or Google+ hangouts and others in person at Google India offices (Gurgaon, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Bangalore). Mostly the interviews are focused on Data Structures and Algorithms along with some general coding questions. Some of the ‘must-know’ data structures are – Linked list (Single and Doubly), Stack, Queues, Heaps, Hashing, Binary Search Tree, Basic Graph Traversal and Shortest Path, Tries, and Bit Manipulation).

Hiring Committee: Members of the hiring committee review the feedback from your interviewers, your resume, and other related documents. If you appear to be a strong candidate, your information is placed in a pool for host matching.

Host Matching: This is the step which requires you to have patience. There isn’t really any way to speed up the process, unless you know people whose teams are looking for an intern or have a competing offer. If you find a potential host, it’s followed by a couple of telephonic interviews which are generally non-technical. The host just tries to determine whether you would be a good fit for the team (and vice versa).

For Google Summer of Code: If your application is accepted, you spend a month integrating with your organization prior to the start of coding. You then have three months of summer to code, meeting the deadlines agreed upon with your mentors.

Google generally offers a stipend of 30K/ month to interns along with free food and team outings.

Word of advice from Xooglers:

Competitive Programming: It’s probably the most straightforward and easy way to prepare for and crack the technical interviews of all top-notch tech companies. A good rank or rating on CodeChef / TopCoder / CodeForces will help you to clear the resume screening which is often the biggest hurdle for most of the candidates. A good performance will not only help you in technical interviews (by improving your basics of Data Structures and Algorithms), but you will also get good referrals as the referrer can quickly verify the claims.

No Brainteasers: Don’t blindly trust the articles shared on the print and social media. Google stopped asking complex brain teaser-type questions in the interviews long ago. They realized that such brainteasers don’t really predict the performance and problem-solving ability of the candidates; instead, they focus on structured interview questions now. Check out this guide by Google on how to develop your technical skills- Guide to Technical Development

Do your research: Most students don’t get matched to a host because they are too rigid while filling the questionnaire. You need to do a bit of research about various Google products and the teams behind them for a better possibility of finding a team which resonates with your interests.

A couple of pro-tips: Get used to coding on a whiteboard, in Google Docs, and get comfortable talking about coding over the phone.
You can also watch these two videos prepared by Google recruiters themselves on Technical interview tips and Non-technical interview tips.

You can also read about the exhilarating experience of Anushka while she did her summer internship at Google.

If the software industry is your calling, you can check out these cool Computer Science internships. To apply for more of such internships, please register here.

Editor’s note- The information is based on the interviews of certain ex-interns of the company. Readers are advised to go through the Google website for latest information.

Image source: www.technocrata.hu

67 thoughts on “How to get an internship at Google

• April 30, 2016 at 12:57 AM

I want to do internship in google

• May 4, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Is there any scope of getting into a google internship for a student persuing msc in physics?

• May 5, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I am pursuing CSE 2nd year ,I want to do internship in google

• May 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Hi Deepika,

Regards,

• May 9, 2016 at 10:47 AM

hello , iam done pursuing degree in bio science which is a 3 yr academic course and i want do an internship in google as iam good with some techical skills even though iam from a science background can anyone help me wheather i will be eligible or not for google internship and how will thw process be for gradutes like us please .

• May 10, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Hi Sindhuri,

If you have good technical skills which have been mentioned in this article, then you are eligible for the internship.
      Also, there are many other profiles available in Google for internships like marketing etc which are non-technical. You can even try for those.

Regards,

• June 17, 2016 at 7:08 PM

I am pursuing ECE 2nd year and interested in programming as well. What will help me clear resume screening process? Please suggest

• June 18, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Hi Sahithi,

Having different training programs under your belt and experience with some internships or projects in the past will give you an edge during the resume screening process. Also, if you have a good rank in competitive programming sites, it will be a huge benefit.
      Hope it helps. :)

Regards,

• August 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Hi…This is Gangadhar.I pursued B.Tech degree in the stream of Information Technology.I am fresher.I want to do internship in Google.I have good technical skills…

• October 31, 2016 at 12:06 AM

Hai i am pursuing CSE 3rd year…I am very much intrested in web development technologies and i want to do some internship course in big international companies like google…Microsoft..Facebook..Is there any possibilites to get internship in those reputed companies…and I am ready to get knowledge on other stuffs too…If there please guide me … :)

• November 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Hello, I have completed M.Com and I have worked for a firm as a service adviser and customer support . I want to know whether I am liable for internship in Google.

• November 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Im styding ccna & certificated ethical hacking can i get internship from google & Microsoft?

• November 30, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Hi Bargavan,

Hope it helps.

Regards,

• December 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Hi Bargavan,

Thank you for writing in. Please go through the article for all the details regarding how you can secure an internship at Google. You may also check the internships posted on Internshala, and apply for the one which suits your profile-

Hope it helps.

Regards,

• December 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM

I am pursuing 2nd year in MMS (human resources) i want to do internship in Google (Mumbai) in HR department. How should I apply for one.

• December 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Hi Sania,

Hope it helps.

Regards,

• December 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Okk, i want to know whether the last date of applying internship in google is passed or not.I am in 3rd year .Also , if dates have passed what are my options .What kind of strategy can be considered to be best for the remaining time before graduation, Also , can you name some of the best companies for c.s internship?

• January 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Hi am pursuing b.tech 4th year cse , i want to do internship in google

• January 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Hi am pursuing b.tech cse 4th year, i want to do internship in google for 6th month

• January 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM

Hello sir ,
    I am a student of Integrated MBA (BBA+MBA) ,I am into my final year and I need to do an internship with Google!

What should I do for that and what is the procedure for that ?
    Plz help me regarding this, my internship period is from May to July ,2017 . After that I have my colg to do.
    Plz revert..

Email id – prakharlal99@yahoo.in

• February 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Hi Prakhar,

Thank you for writing in. Please refer the above article for the details regarding the internship in Google.

• February 13, 2017 at 2:23 PM

I am Rajat Sharma, i am graduated and have done digital marketing course, can i get internship in google ?

• February 20, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Hi Rajat,

• February 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM

Dear Sir, l want to any type of job with Google, I am in a big trouble to think about committed suicide,I am an unemployed 34+ and also hypothecated of a big amount with my own sister’s husband, he gives me that amount for invest in share market,then I given that to my friend for the purpose invest in share,but my friend Cheets .I have nothing to return to my sister…. Please sir help me,I want to return thous amount. I know that,I am only 12 th passed and one Two years vocational stream courses,on computer assembly and maintenance,it doesn’t be the sufficient eligibility to get any job at Google,But I request to you,please,give me any job like cleaning office, peon etc.If I got the job I alive or live. Thanking you… Subrata Bagchi,from India.

• February 25, 2017 at 11:27 AM

hi i am sandeep. i am studying btech 2nd year in ECE. i want to get internship in google?
    what skills required for doing internship in google?

• February 27, 2017 at 8:03 AM

I am pursuing my B.Tech information technology 2nd year, when should I apply for internship and what r the skills they would expect from my part.

• March 3, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Hi Shobika,

If you have good technical skills which have been mentioned in this article, then you are eligible for the internship and can apply now.

Regards,

• March 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM

sir i’m 3rd year b.tec student from rajasthan ,no doubt i’m a weak student but in practical work i’m good ,if i apply for internship in google and select, i want to know then they will teach about codeing and different languages or we have good knowledge in codeing and languages before applying .

• March 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Hi Vipul,

Thank you for writing in. You need to have a good knowledge of the languages before applying for the internship.

Thanks.

Regards,

• March 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Hi everybody I am BCA 2nd year student
    I want to summer training from Google
    Can you suggest me that how can I apply in Google

• April 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Couldn’t have asked for anything better today! Thanks for this amazing article. The insights helped me sort out a lot. Made notes and shall be using the tips right away! :)

• April 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM

Hi, I am a b.tech first year student , i want to do internship in google (btw am going to second year) , for what all internships i can apply and whats the process.
    what all things i have to study, plzz suggest some books or matter or sites to be visited for preparation of same.

• May 6, 2017 at 9:34 PM

Hello sir,
    Aman here currently I m pursuing b.tech from the Poornima Group of Colleges, Jaipur affiliated to RTU, Kota
    I want to know the eligibility criteria for the internship

• May 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Thanks for such important info, it seems the right way to reach out the biggest MNTC of world.
    I will follow up this blog’s suggestion. lets where it takes

• May 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Hello Sir,
    I am Shikha Gupta working in a reputed eye hospital in Indore,i have done Bachelor(Biomedical) as well as MBA (HR) and have more than 6 years of experience in same field want to join internship so may i apply for intern?

• May 31, 2017 at 8:51 PM

I hold a b.tech/mech and m.tech/manufacturing degree kindly guide me in applying for google

• June 6, 2017 at 9:13 PM

I am currently doing my final year in MSc in maths,I know c,c++,R,octave can I apply for a intern in google and what are the opportunities for msc maths students in google

• June 15, 2017 at 6:43 AM

Hi I am Riya Shah, I am looking for a finance internship at google.
    I am presently studying in the 2nd year BMS in lala Lajpat Rai College
    Will I get any internship offer from Google

• June 29, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Hey there…
    My name’s is sabir David and I’m presently doing my Mech engineering in BEC I’ve finished my 1st year….
    I wanted to k No if I have any opportunity of getting my internship at Google..

• July 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM

I am Emma, i am graduated and have done computerized advertising course, would i be able to get entry level position in google ?

• July 23, 2017 at 5:08 AM

Hi ..
    My name is sandeep,
    I am doing BCA and I am in 2nd year can u plz help me am I capable for internship in google if yes so how I have to apply please guide me…

• July 31, 2017 at 3:27 AM

Hi I’m Mutturaj . I Was completed BE 2016. So I can interesting to Attend the Google internship. How can i apply ? So please Guide me .

• August 1, 2017 at 2:44 PM

Hi I’m abhinand.m
    I’m much interested in logo designing,poster designing and animation making,I’m a plus two humanities student (with computer application) will i get a job in google

• August 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Hi I am Abijith.
    I’m a student from India I would like to get a internship with Google.I am studying computer science.plz help me to secure my future.

• August 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Hii I am kamalnath,
    its my pleasure to have conversation with you,i have keen intrested in BIG DATA domain,and my long time dream is to work in GOOGLE ,but i don’t have any clear path for preparation that where can i start my studies,can you guide me to take further steps,
    if anyone,have to share anything with me please have my email id:kamalnathlp26086@gmail.com.thank You.

• September 2, 2017 at 8:47 PM

Hello,
    I am doing my engineering from president university bangalore .I have knowledge of java and c programming very well ,so i want to know how to apply for google intership

• September 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM

can a first year student, having knowledge of programming apply for internship in google?