Reading & Writing Assignment (2) – The Family

As we said before, the best way to improve your English is to practise a lot of reading and writing. Let’s get started with our 2nd assignment, shall we?

What will you do in this assignment? – You would read a few paragraphs on a topic and then share something from your life.

Today’s topic

I grew up in a joint family in Nawalgarh, a small town of Rajasthan.  My father, two of his brothers, their families, and our grandparents stayed together (a joint family of 16 members). We have a couple of small businesses, a departmental store and an oil mill, back in Nawalgarh.

My father is the eldest of the brothers. He had to quit his studies after 10th to support rest of the family. What I admire the most about him is his grit – he once fought a court case for possession of our shop for 20 long years and won it. I also like how open minded and understanding he is. I think that comes naturally to elder siblings who have to shoulder responsibilities early on in their lives. Almost all of my business acumen and principles have developed by observing him over the years.

My mom is a home maker and I think I got my brains and inclination towards studies from her. She has a story too. She was an ok student in 10th standard and the principal of her school often used to praise the class topper in front of everyone saying how the topper would be the only student from the school to get the 1st division (back in the 70s, a 1st division was a big deal). My mom took it as an insult and studied really hard to prove the principal wrong and she also secured the 1st division. But what I really admire her for is the love and affection she has for the entire family and the sacrifices she has made. Even today, at age of 60, she takes more care of us than what we possibly do for her. I think that is how moms usually are.

My elder sister (eldest of us 3 siblings) is now married and perhaps the most innocent and soft hearted woman I have ever met. She once profusely apologised to an Amazon call center executive for returning a product because it would mean the delivery boy will have to come back for a pick up in the scorching heat – she apologised to the delivery person too. You can often find her at her home, doing household chores, despite the maid being around (she just can’t find it in her heart to order someone to do something for her).

Finally, my elder brother who shielded me from all the distractions that come with growing up in a business family (we boys often had to handle the departmental store or the mill by ourselves) and took it all on him. It affected his studies, not mine. He paid the price, not me. What I like the most about him is how passionate he is about the issues he believes in and the child-like excitement he shows while discussing them. He pretends to be a tough task master at business, but the guy’s heart is all cheese :). Here is a glimpse of what my extended family now looks like :)

The Extended Chirania Family

Writing exercise for you– Tell us about your family. What do they do and the one thing you admire in each member. Please write your answers in the comment section below (min. 200 words).

You can also read fellow students’ answers in comments (but do so only after you have submitted your own answer so that you don’t get influenced by what others wrote). We also encourage you to share your feedback, appreciation, and thoughts against others’ answers. Remember, it is a community effort and we are all in it together :). Only when you participate, you can expect others to participate and share feedback on what you wrote. Deal?

To read the next article of the series on the usage of various tenses in English, click on the next button below. To go back to the previous article, click on the previous button.

13 thoughts on “Reading & Writing Assignment (2) – The Family

• October 15, 2016 at 1:07 AM

Growing up in a joint family was probably the best part of my childhood. I grew up in Dehradun in a family of 10 people and 4 cats, and all of them (especially the cats ;) ) have played such important roles in my life.

My favorite person in my family is my grandmother. Though she is over 70 years old, she is by far the most energetic person I’ve ever come across. An amazing cook, she refuses to take anyone’s help and prefers doing everything on her own.

An employee at a private job, my father is a man of morals. He is extremely humble and has always trusted me with making my own decisions in life, even though he sometimes disagrees with them, which is something I really admire about him.

My mother is a home-maker. She taught me the importance of appreciating the smaller things in life, something which she strongly believes in. She has an awful sense of humor, something which I am afraid she has passed on to me.

My sister is currently doing her majors in Sociology at SymbiosisSchool for Liberal Arts, Pune. A football enthusiast, she is extremely creative and excels at sketching, something that I have always envied. The most admirable thing about her, according to me, is her strong will to achieve anything she sets her mind to.

My cats are extremely mean, yet adorable animals. The most admirable thing about them is, well everything !

Apart from this, my family consists of my two uncles, my aunt, and my two cousins, all of who are extremely dear to me.

• October 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I was born and raised in Ranchi. I belong to a middle-class family and my parents have taught me the importance of everything. I have a brother who is younger than me.

My father is a government employee. He wanted to be a research scholar but had to quit his studies after graduation because of the poor medical conditions of my grandfather. All the responsibilities fell on his shoulder, being the eldest. He sacrificed his dream for others. He doesn’t regret his decision. What I admire the most about him is the calm nature which he possesses if any problem occurs. It’s truly said, ‘Fathers are fundamental in the divine plan of happiness and success’.

My mother is a perfectionist.-whether it’s room or food or study, she wants everything to be perfect. My grandparents used to tell me that you can find her playing, dancing, roaming all the day. And I can proudly say that I inherit the same qualities.

Finally my younger brother. His life swings between books and TV. I should rather say that he is a Book Worm and when it comes to outdoor sports or fun, he is just opposite to me. One thing that I admire about him is the ability to crack jokes or make fun of others, irrespective of time and situation.

That’s an insight of my family- a happy family :)

• October 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM

I believe that I’m one of the fortunate ones for whom home has always been the most comforting place. I’ve been blessed with a very friendly and understanding family, which always stand by me in a cheering and supporting spirit. So let me introduce to you my family members who are the world to me.
    Firstly, I would like to write about my mother. With utter honesty I say that I’ve never met a woman who inspires me more than her. She is my role model and I wish to imbibe her qualities in myself. She is someone who always gives her best to whatever she does – progressing her career as an English lecturer, taking care of her family, managing her professional and personal lives and becoming a close friend to her children (I cherish the fact that I never have to put filters while talking to her). I’m aware of the fact that my mother has endured a lot of hardships in her life but I always found her smiling and optimistic. I once asked her, “How do you manage to keep smiling even during the hard times”? To which she responded, “I never focus on the predicament. I perceive the situation as given and always look for the solution”.
    Next is my father. What should I say? He’s never been the conventional dad who scolds his children for not studying or watching television. Rather, he’s been there for me a jovial and notorious friend. Together, we have fun while dancing, singing, watching movies and cooking. Said that, I can’t ignore the mature aspect of his personality which I equally rejoice. My dad never leaves an opportunity to encourage me and make me believe that I can achieve whatever I wish to. Further, he has always made conscious efforts to make me as independent as possible. I remember how he never accompanied me to places like banks, post offices etc. only to make me learn things on my own. Well, today I’m his little daughter at home but an independent woman in the outside world.
    Lastly, my elder brother. A very balanced person who knows how to deal with the panic attacks of her little sister. He is always there to guide, support, correct and help me in the most difficult circumstances. Honestly, it’s my brother that I look for to tell each and everything. Apart from being just my brother, he is an entrepreneur who is in love with his adventurous journey. By the way, he was just in IX when he said, “I don’t want to get a job; I want to create jobs”. I wish I ever have that clarity :P

• October 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM

My family is small nuclear family.My family contains four members a father,a mother,an elder brother and me.Like the other Indian family, we are not a big family.We live in Dhanbad (Jharkhand) however my grandparents live in countrysides.Together with my grandparents, my family becomes a small joint family.My family is complete,positive and very much cooperative.I feel so happy in my family as it cares me and fulfills my all needs.Beginning with my mother,she is like any other mom.Loving,Caring and concerned yet when she is angry you will definitely know.She is more realistic and seeks to do something that revolves around the arts.She is the anchor of our house and is definitely the driving force for our family.My father is the cornerstone of our family.He is rigid yet flexible.He is responsible for all the discipline in our house.Possessing the love for gardening,he invests a lot of his time in innovative gardening techniques.He loves all of us and holds himself responsible for our family’s well-being.My inspiration is my dad

My elder brother is the most influential person in my life. He is currently working in the Maruti Suzuki.Most siblings are always quarreling and never do anything together.Throughout my life, I have modeled to be more like him. He is not only my elder brother but my peer and my role model.When I was5, I would follow my brother around everywhere,I was the pesky younger brother.I feel the brunt of many a cruel joke that my brother and his friends would play on me,but throughout all of these jokes I knew they only did it in fun and I enjoyed it.

• December 18, 2016 at 11:35 PM

I was born in kota(rajasthan) . I have 6 members in my family father,mother,younger brother ,grandfather and grandmother. My father is a serviceman ,he is an administrative controller in allen career institute .He is very hardworking man ,he is my idol before 3-4 months he was suffering from cancer but he fights very bravely and now he is completely fine everyone in the family was so tensed that time but everyone believed in god and now he is completely fine.My mother is a housewife well every mother is the best for their children but I want to say about my mother that she is the most beautiful and responsible woman I have ever seen in my life, she is always supports every family members ,she do all the household work without any help of others,she takecare every person of family . My grandfather is the most strongest person I have ever seen ,he is 88 years old then also he wakes up 5 a.m daily and do exercise for atleast half and hour and he do all of his work by own , he is a retired lecturer from government college. My grandmother is a retired teacher and her age is 74 years old ,she loves me very much and she supports my mother at every corner of her life. Now my younger brother ,he is the smallest member of my family that’s why he is the most lovable person in my family, he is preparing for jee and he is ver hard worker ,we both have a great bond between us.

• January 8, 2017 at 2:06 PM

As per my knowledge,from beginning of childhood we are a nuclear family.even though i was born and brought upon in nuclear family,i enjoyed all the relations as my grandparents,parental uncle and my cousins used to stay in colony.

my father is Employee.
    Mother is a home maker.

My dad is my best and first role model. He has lots of patience and could handle pressure,inspite of all these he will manage in proper condition.

My mother is homemaker,who takes care of complete family and considers each and every person opinion in the family.Her helping nature and the way she manages the work is awesome.One thing i would ,like to learn from her is, how to plan things in order to get the best result.
    I have two Siblings.
    My elder is also an Employee.He guides me in my career,and suggest me the next step.
    Younger is pursuing his education,who makes the complete family smile,fun.he is very naughty and lively person.he gives value to others emotions and feelings.

My grand parents are very kind hearthed.
    we all together enjoy the festivals and other occasions and make each and every moment o four life a Colorful and memorable.

• February 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM

Nowadays everyone prefer to be in nuclear family. But I am so fortunate that I live in a joint family, members of 16. I live with my parents, grandparents, two uncles and their families. We all live together with lots of love and happiness. I believe when you live with alot of people you get to learn etiquettes. Those who live in joint family are more patient and social at the same time. They know how to share and compromise with everyone and how to deal with different situation. Best part of joint family is you always have the support of your loved ones. You’ll have cousins as best friends, elders as your free advisors and grandparents to shower their love when you are upset about little things.
    My uncles are the best uncle of the world. They support each other in their business and in real life. My father is elder brother of them. He left his studies and decided to join family business. My mother is idol of love and affection. A healthy aura is lies between every member of the family because of her. If she determine anything she would work hard and definitely achieve it. She is my role model : the way she holds the family together with her immense kindness and sacrifices.
    My elder brother helps me in my studies and other activities. I do admire him. He is best son, support my father in his business and oil mill. I have a elder sister, who is already married. She is a mirror image of my mother’s kindness and affection.
    I am so very happy to have such a amazing and supporting family.

• March 8, 2017 at 1:22 PM

I grew up in a nuclear family in Bhilai, a small town in Chhattisgarh. In my family, I have my father, my mother, and my brother. We own a rice mill and various real estate properties. Our business revolves around real estate dealings.
    My father is a very open minded and responsible person. He has done his graduation from IIT Delhi back in the days when IIT was a huge deal. He worked in a steel plant for ten years before finally quitting his job and coming back to his hometown to set up his own business. His struggle and dedication inspire me every day.
    My mom is a Hindi literature teacher. She did her masters in Hindi literature from Raipur institute. She’s a very strict and strong woman. Watching her handle everything so efficiently makes me realise there’s nothing a woman cannot do. She has been like a friend, sister and a mentor to me. Imagining a life without her scares me the most.
    My elder brother is a doctor and is one of the most polite people I have ever met. He has helped me the most to shape my career and motivated me to pursue my dreams. He did his MBBS from AIIMS Jodhpur and runs his own clinic in Raipur now.

• March 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I have grown up in a joint family (10 members) where everyone does a lot for each other. I am glad that I am part of such a great family. My father is eldest of six siblings ( 1 brother and 4 sisters). So, he had a lot of responsibilities on his shoulders and he managed them very well. He has been an inspiration to me he had a lot of sacrifices for our family and has worked really hard to take out our family from the financial trap. My mom is the backbone of our family, she is a homemaker and she is very dedicated towards her work. She is the most cheerful and happening member in out family. They way she keeps on doing all the household work after having so many health issues no other member can do that.

I have been pampered a lot from my grandparents and my uncle (Chachu). My grandfather was a Numberdar (passed away a year ago) and he had given his entire life to social service. He had earned a lot of respect from the society and he had been an identity to us. My grandmother was one the patient people I have ever met.
    Now, I live with my dad, mom, elder brother. Uncle aunty and their kids(1 younger brother and 1 younger sister). My uncle has been the most chilled out person in my family. I and my brother were always used to approach him if our parent’s used to say no to our demands of going on a trip or to get a new video game. He is the only person who can never say no to you. My aunty is very sweet. She cooks gajjar ka halwa on my every birthday and has very good bonding with me.

I don’t need any friends when I am at home because I and my siblings are enough to have a blast. My elder brother is my best friend. I can share my secrets with him. He is a mature guy who can adjust himself in any age-group people.

I am blessed to have such a caring family.

• March 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM

I grew up in a small family in Delhi; my family consists of 5 members , my father, my mother, an elder brother, a naughty dog (or, you can say a younger brother:) ), and me.

Starting from my favorite person on Earth, My father. He is a simple and a kind person, who runs a trading business in East Delhi. The only motive of his life is to see his children happy and well settled (and, he worked really hard to made us what we are today). He and I are the most adventures person in our family, and he is more like a brother to me than a father. I can literally talk him out into anything – be it going out with friends, not attending any relatives wedding, buying clothes, eating ice-creams late night (or gol gappe :p), etc.. He is always there to do anything I ask for any time without even giving it a second though. Everybody in my home says that he is the one who always supports me in all my naughty (or not acceptable) deeds (which is true, by the way :p). The thing that I admire the most about him is his selfless nature and his patience and honesty. In his work, there has been many instances when a party (he deals with shopkeepers) ends up giving him extra money or made a wrong bill but he always make sure that this has been corrected. In fact, once there was this one party who by mistake gave him Rs. 500 extra and for some reason he was not able to contact that person. He tried for a month or two but couldn’t contact so he gave it to a needy person near his office along with some food items :). I always say this that I love my dada the most but yes, I don’t think I will ever be able to love him (or anybody) the way he does.

Second, my beautiful mother. She was famous as Mathuri Dixit in her school and college (yes, she is that pretty or may be even more). She was a dance teacher and used to take private classes but 5 years back, she had quit taking classes and had started supporting my father in his business. She is a soft and cheerful women. She and I have a typical mother-daughter relationship; we fight, we argue, we laugh, we hangout, we tease, we care, we cuddle, we love and what not. She cares about everyone and even if she wants, she cannot be rude with any one (untill, someone tries to harm her family, then god help that person). I always say that she loves bhai more than me (like in K3G :p) but deep down I know, I am the one she cares the most about. The one thing that I admire the most about her – she is a sociable person. She can literally go anywhere and make her way through beautifully.

Third, my elder brother. He is my Ross (literally, that sweet and equally annoying). He is working in Mumbai, currently. He is the child who has always made the parents proud with all his awards, scores, and degree. He was into every activity in his school and college. He can not sit ideal; he needs something where he can use his mind and body. He has always been too protected of me (which is a little annoying sometimes (only sometimes :p)). He calls me more than my parents can do in a day (office pohochi?, ghar pohochi?, nikli nahi?, share cab ride, etc.). Actually, not only me, but he cares about everyone in the family a lot. The thing that I admire the most about him is that how he plans everything well in advance. He always makes a plan and follows it properly. He never wants to miss out on a single thing and for that he always thought everything through well in advance.

Finally, my dog, Sam. If I start writing about him, then I won’t be able to stop. So, in short, I would like to tell that he and I have a relationship like a tom and jerry (I guess rest is self-explanatory :p) and he means the world to me :D.

• March 21, 2017 at 11:49 PM

I was born in Coochbehar(West Bengal).I grew up in a small family(5 members).My Father, Mother, elders sister, my Grandmother and me lived in a small house. Actually, my family uses to belong from a village, where they did agriculture. After my sister born they moved to in a town called Dinhata.And my father opened a cycle mechanic stall.Due to bad financial condition, my mother also worked in a small factory for supporting my father and continue our study.
    My sister was 2 years elder than me, bur I always behave like her big brother.After completing graduation she was married.It is 3 years now, and I have a little nephew now.

• April 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM

Family is the most important gift that any person has in his life.Family gives them necessary support, motivation to survive in this world.Thus family is a blessing in disguise.

I grew up in a nuclear family.So from early childhood i am used to having people around me.The advantage of having a nuclear family is that one gets friends, mentors right from the start in the form of cousins and elders to motive and guide them in this treacherous world.

the most important and the star performer among them all is my father. My father had 3 brothers and two sisters.My father being the eldest in the family took the responsibilities of the family early in his life as my grand father was jostling with his health.Some unique qualities that set him apart are perseverance, relentlessness and never give up attitude.Luckily, I also inherited these qualities from him which helped me to face the world and excel in academics.

My mother is a house maker.She keeps all of us happy by handling conflicts efficiently.Apart from her persuasion skills she is a excellent cook.She makes amazing briyani. Her humble upbringing has made her down to earth.She taught the art of staying composed under adversary.

I have a elder sister who multi-talented and a multi-tasker. She is a painter, cook and fashion designer.She is now a successful entrepreneur and ownes a boutique. She always had the clarity of thought about her life.I think that is way she has achieved a lot in her life and i am sure she will achieve more in the future.

I have elder brother who helps my father in his business.He is very composed and supportive by nature.His witty nature makes him a unique as he can crack jokes at any moment to lighten up the mood.

This was in brief about my family.I am blessed to have them around.Without them life would be incomplete.Finally i thank god for blessing me with such a family.