For the late birds and for those who have read and forgotten :) how not to apply for an internship, I have summarized the last 4 entries in a single capsule. Here is how to apply for an internship –
- Make the subject line of your internship application stand out – make it specific and relevant enough for the recruiter to be intrigued to open your email. Go window dressing!
- Keep your cover letter simple, short and specific – don’t leave it blank and don’t give your 5 page life history either. Relevancy is the key. Think if you were the recruiter what information you would be looking for in the cover letter to interest you enough to open the CV.
- Please, please, and please do NOT mass email – it doesn’t work. It never has and it never will. Spend time in researching a bit about the company, or individual and their focus areas and how what you have to offer matches with their requirement. Don’t do carpet bombing!
- Spelling mistakes, SMS language, improper gender address are a big NO – they feel like a piece of stone under your teeth while having a meal. However delicious the food may be, we all know what a bad taste the experience leaves.
- Having done, everything right so far, spend 10 extra seconds and please name your CV as your nameplate and don’t just leave it as “CV.doc”, “MyCV.doc” etc. – don’t make it hard for the employer to find your resume at a later date if need be.
Great! All sorted. Now register on Internshala and apply for some cool internships!
If you would like to go through the previous posts covering these points in greater detail, here are the links –
- How not to apply for an Internship – 4
- How not to apply for an Internship – 3
- How not to apply for an Internship – 2
- How not to apply for an Internship – 1
In next few entries, we would talk about how not to write a CV? Stay tuned!
Hope this helps. Have something to say, ask, critique or know of an internship opportunity that you would like others to know – post it right away! If you like what you read here, do share with another friend.