Summer Internship with The Hindu – Sukriti from Delhi University

Daily Winner for: – 14th August, 2011

Name of the intern: – Sukriti Khurana

Institute: – Jesus and Mary College, Delhi university

Organization interned with: – The Hindu, Metro Plus

My internship @ The Hindu was a luxury experience!!

Although I did not get any stipend, the events which I covered as a reporter were enough to compensate. From Page3 parties to book launches, I covered it all. Pick and drop facilities were provided by the event management companies. They offered gifts to pamper the reporters so that the ‘poor learners’ give an interesting piece the next day in the newspaper. The PR people with their gift of the gab, fake smiles and pressure of the job tried their best to impress the reporters. But we had strict instructions not to take any gifts due to ethical reasons.

The exposure I got there was excellent. I found myself thinking of new styles of presenting my work without losing focus on the content (which was the foremost concern).

Sometimes I had to cover events like award functions which extended till midnight. That was some problem with parents at home, waiting for me. Mummy called up every evening to find out what should she cook for dinner, just to get disappointed that I won’t be back soon. But then everything seemed worth it when my parents saw my name as the byline of the article one day and I saw a glint of pride in their eyes! (This continued for some time, after that they again thought I’m useless)

I missed my friends immensely when I saw wines (Red and White), cocktails and mouth-watering sizzlers getting ‘wasted’ (or so I thought) in the tinkling glasses placed on lavishly decorated tables.

With a bunch of intelligent and ‘adventurous’ fellow interns the experience with this prestigious organization became much more exciting and fun. The mentors were a little grumpy, so we gossiped about them till our hearts’ content which in turn helped us concentrate in our work. The most valuable thing was the experience certificate which we all got at the end of this month-long internship.

I really feel proud to be associated with The Hindu!

P.S.- I used to flaunt a lot about my internship @ The Hindu, but soon realized that it is the work we do and experience we gain is what really matters.

Was this interesting? If yes, please like the post on facebook (below) and help Sukriti become winner of the week and win the prize (Rs. 1,000/-) that she truly deserves!

13 thoughts on “Summer Internship with The Hindu – Sukriti from Delhi University

• August 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Kudos to Sukriti for her achievement as an intern. Her story reflects the opportunities which remain untapped by many youngsters these days. However, she took a bold decision of setting out and doing an unconventional job.
    Best of luck !

• August 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM

ACTUALLY SHE DESERVES TO BE A WINNER.
    SHE IS SO CONFIDENT ABOUT HER DECISIONS.
    INCREDIBLE JOB HAS BEEN DONE BY HER.
    STORY OF INTERNSHIP IS REFLECTING TRUTHS OF LIFE THAT IS NOT SO EASY TO FACE.POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ASPECTS ARE THERE ALWAYS BUT SHE HAS TAKEN IT AS A CHALLENGE AND AS AN OPPORTUNITY.
    AS FAMILY,WE ALWAYS SUPPORT HER AND THANKFUL TO ‘THE HINDU GROUP’
    ALL THE BEST. MAY GOD ALWAYS SHOW YOU THE WAY FOR YOUR SUCCESS.

• August 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM

SUKRITI U DESERVE THE BEST. U HAVE WRITTEN THE TRUTH OF LIFE. MAY GOD BLESS U . SURELY YOU WILL WIN.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I always knew that nothing could stop SUKRITI touch the heights where she has almost reached ! You DESERVE it entirely .. I wish you all the best for the work you’re doing, may you shine like the ‘Sirius’ star up in the sky of success !!
    Good Luck !!
    P.S. – I WISH YOU WIN THIS COMPETITION !! :-)

• August 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Sukriti, you have come a long way on the path from the girl-I-knew… towards becoming the girl-I-always-knew-you-were-gonna-be! And I see the same maturity beginning to emerge in your writing as well.
    I love how vividly descriptive and close-to-heart your words are. And I hope that this is just the beginning of me reading your publications. :-)

• August 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Well written.
    All the best Sukriti !

• August 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Superb description of the experience you had. All the best sukriti. Win the competition.
    P.S : I am eagerly waiting my share. :P

• August 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM

hahaha welcome to the world of media and am glad u identified some real good side of this profession as well. way to go :) west wishes always… btw i liked the third last para…i missed my friends…(ditto!!)is the case with me lolz

well written!! :D

• August 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Hello Sukrirti!

I want to know how can I apply for the Internship at “The Hindu” means what is the E-mail Id of it. please help me.

• October 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM

First of all a very rejuvenating piece. Many Congratulations!!
    It would be of great help if you tell me how to apply and contact THE HINDU people if we are interested for doing internship there.
    Regards,
    coolupkar@gmail.com

• April 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I am eighteen years old and I have been writing letters to the editor and articles in ‘The Hindu’, ‘Frontline’ and ‘Economic and Political Weekly’ for three years. I have had nearly forty publications in these periodicals. My CV is not that bad and I have been in touch with many scribes too. I talked to the managing director of ‘The Hindu’ and he even agreed to give me an internship. Unfortunately, he is incommunicado most of the time. Any help forthcoming Sukriti?