5 secrets of how to make a successful internship application on Internshala

Have you been searching for that ever elusive internship for months now? Have you applied to almost every possible place (many of them on Internshala) but have not got a positive reply yet? Do you wonder what is it missing in your application that would make it stand out amongst 100 other applications? Are you curious what do the people who finally get the internship do differently than you?

Well, after having screened and seen thousands of internship applications on Internshala, and with a set of new changes in the application form brought in; we present for the first time, Top 5 secrets of how to make a winning internship application on Internshala.

1. Read the internship description completely and understand it: – There have been extreme cases of Accounts students applying to Aerospace internships and vice versa. Or students selecting 10K+ as ‘expected stipend’ while the advertised stipend for a particular internship is Rs. 5,000. What sort of image do you think that projects of you in front of any employer?

In addition do pay attention to details such as skill sets required, when does the internship begin, duration and location of the internship, and stipend etc. before deciding to apply. ALL of this information is captured from you explicitly in the application form and many employers decide to eliminate a candidate basis this information alone even before opening your resume.

2. A seemingly innocent question “Why should you be hired for this internship?” kills many: – You may not have realized the importance of this question so far while you were busy copy pasting standard, over worded, meaningless cover letter as answer to this question for EVERY internship on Internshala.

For many employers this is the quickest way to figure out whether a candidate actually knows what this internship demands and whether he/she has those qualities or not. Please make your answer to this question as specific as possible giving relevant examples of past project/coursework. More generic your answer is (“I am a hard working, sincere, dedicated etc. etc. person is NO good), more are the chances that your resume will NEVER be opened.

3. Answering internship specific question(s): – This is a new feature on Internshala. We are gradually moving in a direction where we believe if a student has put in efforts in submitting an application, chances of him being sincere and serious are lot more than those who apply  everywhere at a click of a button.

If an internship on Internshala requires you to submit answers to a specific set of questions/problems; it would be clearly mentioned in the internship description under a separate section. Please go through the questions and understand them well before preparing your answers. The internship form now has a separate upload button where  you can upload answers to these questions in .doc/.pdf/.rtf format. Please do NOT upload your CV/Cover letter there

4. Attending the automated telephonic/voice interview: – another exciting, first of its kind in India, feature added by Internshala making it even easier for companies to select/shortlist candidates without having to interview them or even read the resume.

Again if an employer has opted for this feature, it would be clearly mentioned in the internship description in a separate section and the instructions on how to attend this interview would be sent in the confirmation email that you receive post applying to the internship on Internshala. Make sure you read it!

5. Follow up: – There is nothing more useful tool/tactic in  the professional world than a follow up email. If you have done everything right in above 4 steps, you have every right to hear back from the employer on status of your application. Moreover, following up on an application shows your genuine interest and keenness in the position. For example, for every role at Internshala we consider ONLY those candidates who cared to follow up.

If you can’t write to the employer directly, write to us. We would take it up with the respective company and make sure that you get a response :)

Hope these 5 tips above help you in your quest for finding a meaningful internship on Internshala. Wish you all the best!

Want to do an Internship? Check out the latest Internships at Internshala.

Image credit: – http://images.wikia.com/spongebobandfriendsadventures/images/1/10/GENIE-1.gif

53 thoughts on “5 secrets of how to make a successful internship application on Internshala

• April 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM

hi,
    i applied for an internship & i got the reply from the concerned person that the institue is looking for a candidate with specific background & if there is any change they will let me know, please suggest me what I should reply to it.

• April 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

even i have applied for an internship but i havnt got any reply yet.. what should i do??

• August 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

hlo
    i want to know the procedure for internship i mean i m currntly in final yr nd wabt to go gor intrnship gvng cmpny bt i hv nt gud guidance abt wat to do nd abt the whole procedure ? pls reply me as soon as possible that how to apply for the company ?

• November 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I uploaded my resume during registration, but now I made a few changes to it. Is there any possibility of uploading my modified resume again?….. please give me reply.

• December 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I am a third year computer science engineering student. I wanna have an internship in Kolkata. can you help?

• December 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Hello Sarvesh,

I have gone through all the links available for the internships in Kolkata, but most of them have already closed and there are nothing much related to computer science.
    Can you please provide a fresh set of links.

• December 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Also I am very very interested in business development intern in Business development and quotient solutions. but the deadline was till yesterday, can there be any chance further for it?

• December 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I am pursuing Automobile Engineering final year. I have a plan of going to Germany for Masters before that I want to do an Internship in any part of Europe so please tell me the Universities which are providing Internships.

• January 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Hii, this is rama here,thanks for giving information.i know dot.net,html,sql,css.
    if any internship is there please help me.

thanks Internshala

• February 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I love the Follow Up part….
    and i can see some decent efforts of you People
    you deserve an applause…
    it appears internshala… will shoot to fame as the next Naukri.com

• April 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM

first of all ,i am really thank full to internshala and complete team for their dedicated efforts ,my question is i don’t know if there are any internships for civil engineering excepts iit’s who only consider 9.5 above people ,please give me link to any civil engg internships who consider 8.5 above chaps too..please help me out ,2nd yr BE civil student desperate in search of summer internship

• April 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM

i am student of ballb 1st sem you give any NGO and legel firm

• May 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Hi Sarvesh,
    I am M.E. Computer 2nd year student and wants to apply for internship in JAVA, SQL, ORACLE, Testing Techonology please suggest me company names or their contact persons.

Thank You.

• June 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Hi Sarvesh,
    I am a final year student in software engineering stream. I applied for some internships here but while i was submitting my application i did not checked my mail inbox where you mentioned 5 ways to make successful internship application so i did some mistakes so want to ask if i can re-apply or update? And i want some research and paid internship options(if possible in rajasthan/mumbai/delhi) but last time i checked all research internships are closed for applications.Can you help me out with this?

• June 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Hi Sarvesh,
    I am a final year student in software engineering stream(M.tech). I applied for some internships here but while i was submitting my application i did not checked my mail inbox where you mentioned 5 ways to make successful internship application so i did some mistakes so want to ask if i can re-apply or update? And i want some research and paid internship options(if possible in rajasthan/mumbai/delhi) but last time i checked all research internships are closed for applications.Can you help me out with this?

• June 21, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Hi Swar

Please follow this link and see if you can find any relevant internships.

Many Thanks,
      LinkedIn-http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3932887
      Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Internshala

• December 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM

hi sir,

my self hemant kesarwani i hav completed my software testing(manual and automation testing) course from bangalore,i’m B.TECH CSE 2013 passout.
    im wanna joint any intership to learn n gain experiencen. plz tell me what to do

• December 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Hi Hemant,

Please visit here for latest internships. Also, we suggest you to subscribe to Internshala to stay updated with the latest opportunities.

Thanks.

• December 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I am a final year student of mechanical engineering I want to do a internships in the field of machines so please inform any opportunity’s .

• December 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Hi Sandeep,

Please keep a tab here for latest Mechanical Internship. We suggest you to subscribe to Internshala to stay updated.

Best

• December 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I have completed my MSc in information technology and worked at L&T infotech for 3 months in mainframes, but i left the job since i am interested in interactive design and preparing for Masters in the same field, i have knowledge in html, css, JavaScript, Photoshop, illustrator(beginner), so i was planning to get an internship in the same till i clear my entrance for master which is next year. so can you suggest me with some options?

• December 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Hi Deepshikha,

You may want to apply to latest Computer Science internships available here.

• January 5, 2015 at 9:39 PM

i am an automobile engineering student please suggest me an appropriate internship program.

• January 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Hello,
    I cannot help but comment your team for such efficient work, I hope I am responded in the same way.
    I am a law student and looking for internship at a law firm, if you can provide with some links for the same.

• January 22, 2015 at 8:41 AM

I am a second year biotechnology student. I wanna have Summer training in Kolkata or delhi. can
    you suggest any?

• February 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Hello sir/ma’am,
    I had done my graduation in education i.e. B.El.Ed. My subject specilisation was Mathematics. I there any internship for education student.
    Had applied for ASAr annual report but no reply even they want education graduate student.

• February 3, 2015 at 10:18 AM

haii,,am btech 3rd year of biotechnology,i want to do intern in the field of software r mangment…plzz inform me,if any oprtunty are available….

• February 5, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Hi, i’m doing btech(Cse) 1st year, please tell me what internships do you recommend for me in the first year.
    thanks

• February 14, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Hello sir
    I am student of M.E(Mechanical Design Engg.)appearing.please suggest internship for me.

• February 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM

hi sir,
    I uploaded my main Application form after registration, but now I made a few changes to it. Is there any possibility of uploading my modified Application form again?….. please give me reply.
    thank you.

• February 27, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Hi Supriya,

Please specify the application form you are referring to. We will be able to help only then.

Thanks.

• September 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM

Hello Internshala,

I am BTech Mechanical 2013 graduate and looking for internships in mechanical domain.However when I was building my profile, I came across a section called “Additional details”. I am slightly confused about it. Can you please tell me what to include in that section and how many bullet points should ideally be there? Can I include career objective and accomplishments/projects there? A sample internshala profile might help. (I’ve already gone through a sample resume pdf by internshala, so that’s not what I am looking for.)

• September 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Hi Shruti,

Thank you for writing in. We are excited to have you on our platform :)

To apply to awesome internships register with us using the following link (it’s free!)

internshala.com/registration/student

You can check internship in the field of Mechanical here –

And apply to the ones which suit your profile the best. Hope it helps.