Don’t think I or anyone in my batch knew of these opportunities back in my IIT days; another hidden gem of an all expense paid internship with LPI (support arm of NASA). Give your dreams a flight of imagination and land a career on Moon literally :). A dream come true opportunity for Science, Engineering, Computer Science, & Mathematics students. 2nd year students are also eligible to apply (in-fact would be preferred). The last date to apply is January 18th, 2013 – rush!

About Lunar & Planetary Institute: – Lunar & Planetary Institute (LPI, http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/about.shtml) is a research institute that provides support services to NASA and the planetary science community, and conducts planetary science research under the leadership of staff scientists, visiting researchers, and postdoctoral fellows. The Lunar and Planetary Institute was first described by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968 as “a center of research where scientists working in the sciences of space cooperate to profoundly affect the community’s knowledge of the universe.”  The Institute serves in three main capacities: Research Science, Service to NASA and the Planetary Science Community, and Education and Public Outreach.

About Internship: – As a Summer Intern, you will work one-on-one with a scientist at the LPI or at the NASA Johnson Space Center on a research project of current interest in lunar and planetary science. Furthermore, you will participate in peer-reviewed research, learn from top-notch planetary scientists, and preview various careers in science. A complete list of research areas can be found at this link

Who can apply: – College undergraduates (graduates may also apply but the focus is on under graduate students) with at least 50 semester hours of credit interested in pursuing a career in the sciences are eligible. Relevant fields of study include the natural sciences, engineering, computer sciences, and mathematics. Selection is based on these criteria: (1) scholarship, curriculum, and experience; (2) career objectives and scientific interest; and (3) match of interest of applicant with available research projects

Location: – Houston, Texas, United States of America

Duration: – 10 Weeks in summer 2013 (June 3rd – August 9th, 2013)

Stipend: –   If selected, you will receive a $5000 stipend plus a U.S. travel stipend of $1000. (Foreign nationals will receive a $1500 foreign travel reimbursement in lieu of the travel stipend.)

How to apply: – Please refer to LPI Intern Page for more info and application details. The last date to apply is January 18th, 2013 – hurry!

Editor’s note: – Information above is my interpretation and paraphrasing of what I found on the shared link. If you have any more specific information on this internship or have interned in this program before and would like to share your experience, please leave a comment.

13 thoughts on “Summer Internship Program in Planetary Science – Lunar and Planetary Institute – USA

• November 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Awesome…:)

Something Interesting :)

I Think, since there are many non Indian Internships and science internships, we need a column how to and what to fill in these applications and how to write a S.O.P. and what not to write in a S.O.P. :) any many more things they usually ask to attach with application.

• November 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Do you think you can write one and share with me on email? I will try to get someone I know to write one as well.

• November 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I am currently in my first year.Can I apply?If not,can you suggest a summer internship for me.My branch is Computer Science.

• October 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

are we supposed to send the reference letters to american professors? if yes, how do we get their contacts. please reply

• October 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hello Intershala,

This Post is very interesting to have internship at Lunar & Planetary Institute , I am doing my masters space sciences and I have a aeronautical engineering background,
    Can you give some contact Info regarding the post.
    I am very much interested.
    I would be very glad if can help me.
    Sireesh

• November 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hello Sarvesh. I am doing my 2nd year B.tech Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras. I would like to do an internship in the 2nd year summer holidays, but I am real bad when it comes to finding/deciding on a suitable internship. This particular internship has attracted me but I doubt if I have a chance of getting into the program. Further still, is it recommended to write TOEFL now or just get a letter from an English professor(If I have the credentials that is)? And could you suggest alternatives?

• November 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I meant alternate internships, sorry!

• November 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Sir, i m not getting the application form in the mentioned link? plz help.

• November 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

@Sundar
    Hi Sundar – The mention of TOEFL is only suggestive. A letter from a professor from your institute would also do. You can find many alternatives in our ‘International Internships’ section. You can also subscribe to us for all the updates on internships delivered directly to your inbox – http://blog.internshala.com/internshala-subscribe/

Many thanks