Does it matter to you how the creators of Batman chose the name Bruce Wayne for him when you are engrossed watching the epic trilogy by Nolan?
Do you know whom did Steve Jobs make his first call using the iPhone during its release ceremony when youâ€™re busy making your own calls with the newest version of iPhone?
Do you even care whose words are those that are inscribed on your favorite Nike T-shirt?
Obviously, you donâ€™t.
The only species on the face of earth who not only pay attention to such things but whose lives revolve around such information and trivia are quizzers. While many college flicks have been made on the prodigy singer, dancer and debater, quizzers have hardly been bestowed upon such privilege. And hence there is a sense of mystery that surrounds a quizzer. SoÂ how do you spot one when you see one? Here is a guide to know the â€˜Know-it-allsâ€™.
- Brought up on encyclopedia, wedded to trivia and sleeping with Wikipedia, quizzers kick off their days with newspapers for breakfast. But they donâ€™t read the front page news or the long and boring editorials but instead scrounge the newspapers for trivia that no normal being will notice. But a quizzer will, for he knows someone somewhere will pick that trivia and turn into a quiz question. And obviously that someone will be no one else but another quizzer.
- You know a guy is a quizzer when his classmates have nicknamed him â€˜Wikipediaâ€™. Yes, thatâ€™s the standard nickname every quizzer earns invariably across all colleges across all universities. However, the irony is no quizzer likes this ‘honour’ of being called Wikipedia for only he knows how the misinformation and wrong facts on the website has let him down in quizzes.
- No matter where they are, in a Metro or at a McDonaldâ€™s or in your college corridor, you know youâ€™re listening to two quizzers speaking when the whole conversation is laced withÂ Bro, do you know this oneâ€¦? or Dude, Did you knowâ€¦?
- Quizzers are hard to be found in the classrooms. Thanks to the booming quizzing scene in Delhi where almost every college festival has a quiz as a marquee event , a quizzerâ€™s life in university is incomplete if he hasnâ€™t breathed in the air of all the colleges in the city.
- Courtesy quizzes, these people traverse from one girls’ college to another like a boss. Hell, they even get to enter college fests without passes. Getting jealous? Huh? Now hereâ€™s the catch. This is a Sheldon Cooper-ish breed and the colleges their friends would bribe to enter, they simply go there, win quizzes, collect their prize and come back home to prepare for the next quiz.
- Quizzers have an interesting social life. You know youâ€™re visiting a quizzerâ€™s Facebook profile when the number of quiz and trivia pages liked is 5 times the number of friends in his or her friend list. Their news feed reads more like a question paper waiting to be solved. Besides, an average quizzerâ€™s smartphone is hardly used for phone calls and messages. Instead its stashed with books, quizzes and THAT app called QuizUp.
- So whatâ€™s the motivation behind gulping facts, crunching dates and memorizing the most random of trivia? Well if any quizzer answers to that question with anything other than the word money, or its synonyms, DONâ€™T BELIEVE HIM. Glory and knowledge kept aside, every quizzer loves the quick bucks that quizzing brings.
- These encyclopedia guzzlers are also among the most misunderstood people in this world, thanks to a certain septuagenarian who goes by the name Amitabh Bacchan! Due to his show KBC, the whole world around quizzers thinks that quizzing at university level is just another MCQ ka paper. Oh please!
- The most common advice that every non quizzer has to give to a quizzer is â€“ Arre Dude KBC me try kar na! – NEVER do that. And there is one more â€“ Arre waah what â€˜GKâ€™ man! You toh will crack UPSC with ease! Duâ€™h!
- The range of things that they know and can talk about is envious. A quizzer has this unique ability to talk about books that he hasnâ€™t read, movies that he hasnâ€™t watched, places that he hasnâ€™t visited all with elan, because HE KNOWS STUFF. They always have so much new information to pepper you with that you never get bored in their company. So make sure you have a quizzer friend in your college life.
P. S – Bruce Wayne’s first name came from Robert Bruce, the Scottish patriot. Wayne, being a playboy, was a man of gentry. While his second name came from Anthony Wayne who was a United States Army officer, statesman whose military exploits and fiery personality quickly earned him promotion to brigadier general and the sobriquet Mad Anthony.
On January 9, 2007, Steve Jobs took out the yet to be released iPhone and dialed a Starbucks in San Francisco. Good morning! answered the polite voice of employee Ying Hang “Hannah” Zhang. How may I help you?
Yes, I’d like to order 4,000 Lattes to go, please. Jobs said, grinning. No, just kidding. Wrong number. Goodbye!
The famous Nike slogan came from a spree killer Gary Gilmore, who received the death penalty in 1976. When the firing squad asked Gilmore if he had any last words, he simply said Letâ€™s do it. When Dan Wieden of Wieden+Kennedy was tapped to create a tagline for Nike a decade later, something about Gilmoreâ€™s words just seemed to fit. â€œLetâ€™sâ€ was changed to â€œJustâ€.
P.P.S â€“ Because a quizzer never signs off without a dose of trivia. ;)
Image credit – http://booksbelow.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/may-27-2010-029.jpg
About author – Amit Sinha, is a 3rd year Political Science student at Ramjas College, Delhi University.