How does Biocon Internship Program work?

Amitava Hi ResBiocon – the Indian bio-pharmaceutical company, based out of Bangalore, has a decade-old internship program helping them tap into the full potential of college students and recent graduates. The Senior VP-HR of Biocon, Mr. Amitava Saha, believes that interns are simply permanent-employees-in-making. As we get going with a tete-a-tete with him, he reflects on various important aspects of the Biocon Internship Program. Excerpts-

Hi Amitava. Thank you for doing this. Could you please provide us an overview of the Biocon Internship Program?

Hi. Glad to be of help. The Biocon internship program has been more than a decade old. The main purpose is to give a platform to students and fresh graduates to get real-time, hands-on industry experience and also get an opportunity to work alongside regular employees on real projects.  There are two types of interns in our system –

Work Interns These interns have completed their education and have aspirations to learn on-the-job before heading out for a full-fledged career. Many of these interns are absorbed at Biocon itself. The maximum tenure for this internship is 8 months.

Study Interns These are college students who do internships as a part of their college curriculum. The tenure depends on the provision in their curriculum – may vary from 3 to 8 months.

We visit reputed institutions like XLRI, IMS, IIM-Bangalore, BITS Pilani, Napier University, IFIM, etc. for recruiting interns in fields varying from management to engineering & other fields.

What are the qualities that you seek in an intern and what methods do you employ to recruit them?

Good academic performance and sound technical knowledge are pre-requisites, of course. Apart from that, we evaluate the ability of a potential intern to be a cultural fit into the company and their adaptability while working in teams which, in turn, would require the person to have good interpersonal skills.

For shortlisting the interns, we use Group Discussions (where applicable) followed by interviews. This is true for both types of interns –

• The students who are hired from colleges that we visit.
  • Students/Graduates who send us resumes through our website or by any other means.

What kind of projects and mentorship should students expect at Biocon?

Interns get projects/assignments in all key business units in the organization covering R&D, Operations, Quality, Marketing and support functions like HR & Finance.

Once an intern is inducted into the company, he/she is assigned a particular project along with a mentor, who is an experienced professional in that area of work. The mentor works closely with the intern to oversee and help him or her progress. While offering PPO (Pre Placement Offer), the mentor’s feedback forms the most important basis of selection.

What, in your opinion, would be the mistakes that new interns generally commit?

During initial days, interns exude a sense of casual attitude. Coming fresh from college, they take some time before finding their feet in the professional world.

Secondly, they tend to be very theoretical. It takes them a while before they realize the difference between theory and practical execution.

How has Biocon benefited from the program and how has it changed over years?

The Internship Program is a great platform for fresh graduates to learn on the job. They work on real-time projects which have tangible business benefits and the experience of being part of the journey helps them build on skill and confidence.

For us, it is both an initiative to help the larger student community and also help induct fresh talent into the company. It is also a good way to build Brand Biocon in the academic institutes.

The change over the years has been primarily in the wide plethora of Projects and the number of Interns who have come into the company. The philosophy of Internship has remained unchanged

What are the three things at Biocon that would make their internships unforgettable at Biocon?

Real time exposure  At Biocon, we assign real time projects to our interns so that there is a tangible benefit to be derived from the exercise. They are given a lot of freedom and hands-on exposure to work alongside our regular employees which help them learn better and build on their confidence level.

Culture Interns are made to feel a part of the Biocon family during their stay with us in terms of various engagement activities and access to events and facilities.

Opportunity to become an Employee  Almost 8 % of our hires are interns-converts.

Thank you Amitava for giving an insight into such a nicely implemented internship program at Biocon. We’re sure students on our platform will find this very useful.

Want a cheat sheet to secure that ever-elusive internship? Read the 7 secrets to secure an internship through Internshala.

Interested in similar internships? Check out these latest biotech internships and management internships. To apply for such amazing internships, please register here.

Are you an employer looking for interns? Hire interns through Internshala; it’s free and hassle-free.

Image credits : www.livemint.com/

38 thoughts on “How does Biocon Internship Program work?

• March 25, 2015 at 7:42 AM

DEAR
    sir….
    I dileep kumar mba in marketing…. from kurukshetra university kurukshetra harayana…..
    i want to traininig SIP your organisationn ……so plz………accept my request……
    thanx

• March 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Hello Sir/Mam,

I have read all the details of your internship programme so may I know how should apply for the SIP in your organisation.

Regards,
    Bharat Arora
    9873480421

• March 25, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Myself, shruti naidu studying in msc , biotechnology at symbiosis international university, pune . I am interested in doing my internship at biocon in the field of fermentation, o any field in biotechnology, in terms month of May, June nd July, so plz guide me further procedures to be taken up by me.

• March 25, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Sir,
    I would like to secure internship from biocon, I would be highly obliged if you allow me to render my service to the company.

Thanks & regards
    Brinta daschowdhury

• March 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Hello Sir/ Madam
    I am pursuing my MBA in healthcare management from Welingkar Institute of management and would like to work wid you as an intern if you grant me the opportunity

regards
    Namita Gundkal

• March 26, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Dear sir/Madam,
    I have completed my M.tech in chemical engineering department from MITS, Gwalior. I worked on synthesis of zinc oxide and indium tin oxide nanoparticles. I want to know about procedure to become an intern at Biocon. Please provide me details.
    My contact no: 07879601507
    Mail id: bhumika.goyal1991@gmail.com

• March 27, 2015 at 1:31 AM

Sir
    m pursuing b.tech (hons.) Biotechnology (3rd year) from Lovely Peofessional University. I would lyk to do internship in ur company. Please provide me with the details for the same.

I will be grateful to you.

Thnking you
    Pooja Arora

• March 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM

What academic qualifications do they look for while hiring interns?

• April 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM

respected personality,

i am a student of B.E Chemical ENGINEERING third year (3 rd ) in a reputed college of karnataka. and i will be glad to grab the golden opportunity of doing inernship in biocon ,
    as biocon is one of the dream company i would like to work in. so kindly let me know the procedure to apply for summer internship during the months of june,july for an period of nearly 6 weeks.
    please sir do reply waitnig for an positive response

• April 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Respected Sir/Madam,

I am Pratima Bawa, seeking a position with a Marketing Role in organisation like yours.
    I am currently doing Masters in Business Management from SIMSREE, Mumbai and have graduated from Food Technology from ICT, Mumbai.
    Please let me know if there is any vacancy in your organisation and feel free to contact me by mail, email or by phone for any further information on my qualifications and experience.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance!!

Kind regards,
    Pratima Bawa
    (7709616221)
    email id- pratima.bawa@gmail.com

• April 11, 2015 at 1:10 AM

a)The students who are hired from colleges that we visit.
        b)Students/Graduates who send us resumes through our website or by any other means.

Senior VP-HR,Mr. Amitava Saha
        Why are you highlighting just one criteria of their selection,when he clearly mentions that Biocon acknowledges internship requests through mails as well?

• April 11, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Hi Vanshika,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. We have edited our responses accordingly.
          Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

• April 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM

No Problem.The remedial action is appreciated!

• September 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM

I am Deepthi , pursuing my second year in biotechnology in pesit bangalore .I wanted to know how to apply internship at Biocon for summer . It’s my dream to do an internship and get a job in future in biocon.please let me know the procedure to apply for summer internship.

• March 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I am arya mishra . now i am doing m.sc. biotechnology from banasthali university rajasthan.and want to do internship at biocon in the field if biotech but that link , which is given here just for communication student so please give me information about biotech internship……………………………

• March 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM

i m sonali kher ,now i m doing b-tech biotechnology from jyoti vidhya peeth women”s university jaipur rajasthan,i have completed diploma in biotechnology in same university.so,want to do internship at bicon in the field if biotech but that link , which is given here just for communication student so please give me information about biotech internship……………………………

• January 31, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Hii am veda of ethiraj college in chennai. Even am a microbiology student doing ug and even i wanted to do intership and am more interested to it !! Thankyou.

• March 18, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Sir, now I am studying 1 st year biotechnology. I would like to do my research on the field of pharma.Whether it is best for future . And I would like to apply for Implant training in Biocon. What is the procedure for applying this.

• October 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Hai sir/madam,
    Respected sir,
    I recently pursued my Msc chemistry from Manipal university, I would be grateful to you, if you could provide me information regarding internship opportunities in your institute (Biocon). For a intern/trainee position in Analytical RnD or QC department.

Thank you.

• October 10, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Respected sir/madam,

Along with this mail I have attached my latest Curriculum Vitae.

Thank you.

• November 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM

Respected Sir/Madam
    I am doing pharmacy from davv indore.I am in 3rd year now.I want to do internship from biocon in quality assuarance/R and D. I would be grateful to you if you could provide information regarding internship in your institute.