Internships : What, Why, When and How

‘An internship can change your life’, says everyone who has ever done any relevant internship.

Google HR executive – Sanjeev and Rajeev, you both have been shortlisted. Tell me why should I hire you?
Sanjeev – I have excellent grades, 2 presentations, 1 department project, excellent co-curricular and a recommendation letter.
Rajeev – All that, plus I did a summer internship at Microsoft.
Google HR to Rajeev – You’re hired!

We understand it was a truly terrible, tiny tale (and we promise to fire our Editor-in-Chief for this), but it underlines one very important fact – how crucial an internship is in one’s career.

internship

What is an internship?

Feed this question to Google and it coughs up – ‘An “internship” is an opportunity offered by an employer to potential employees, called “interns”, to work at a firm for a fixed, limited period of time.’

Let’s make it simpler for you – it’s a job before the actual job, a peek into your career before it actually starts. You will go to the office (unless you do a work-from-home internship), have real responsibilities, learn new skills and utilize your existing ones (if any), and get paid (generally). Sounds great, right?

Now, why you should do an internship?

Again, breaking it down to five main points –
1. Because work ex matters – 44 out of 100 employers value relevant work experience more than any other qualifications while recruiting (Source : The Chronicle of Higher Education). Also, getting experience will do wonders to your confidence during any job interview.

2. Because it allows you to apply classroom knowledge in real life situations – Internships give you a way to utilize your knowledge base, and expand it, by applying it in situations where the outcome is not the number of marks you score in an exam but something that could affect a whole company.

3. Because many students don’t know what they want – Internships can be used as tools to identify, or at times even discover, what you would be good at. Say, you are hired as a marketing intern at a company and that exposed you to content writing (marketing through articles), something that you loved and may eventually think of making a career out of it.

4. Because it opens many doors – Your mentor at the previous internship might put in a word for you with your next employer because she happens to know her. Likewise, an internship could open many doors for you. Even a recommendation letter works wonders at places.

5. Because you might earn college credit and even money – Many colleges, going alongside the industrial demands, now mandate internships. Working at the office instead of studying for a theory paper is much better, isn’t it? Additionally, you will earn your pocket money for college days. How cool is that!

When should you do an internship?

Whenever you’re free! Companies hire interns round the year, but most students do internships during summers and winter breaks because they have no exams during this time and lesser curriculum engagements. There are many students who even do internships round the year; work-from-home internships can be a real awesome experience!

How to find that awesome internship?

• Start with Internshala where you have more than 40000+ employers listing their internship requirements.

• You could talk to your college Training and Placement Cell (T&P Cell). They are in constant touch with employers and a word of recommendation from your professor opens many doors for you. But T&P cell can only help you bag internships during the vacation.

• Use the internet to scour for internship openings. Many company websites post internship requirements and ask you to mail your resume directly to them. Of course, you need to have your resume ready. For tips to write a resume, check here.

An internship can pave your way to that dream job. An internship can change your life. Stand out. Find an internship today! For the best internships visit here.

Now that you know all about internships, let’s take you through the most practical guide ever written to land an internship.

Image credits: www.pinterest.com/

77 thoughts on “Internships : What, Why, When and How

• July 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM

I want to do internship in mechanical engineering

• July 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Dear Biplav,

We suggest you to keep a tab here for latest Mechanical Internships and apply to the one(s) which suit you the best. You may also subscribe to our weekly updates – http://internshala.com/subscribe

• May 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Helpful article.

• November 20, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Dear Akansha,

Thank you for your lovely words.

Regards,
      Team lnternshala.

• July 29, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Sir/Ma’am
    As u told about that sometimes we get paid also but as we are all zero experience level people how do they hire us.
    I’m an E&C 3rd year student and want to do an internship from Bangalore only kindly help me.

• September 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM

i want to do a internship in metallurgical engineering

• September 21, 2015 at 9:21 PM

sir i am in cs 3 rd year . i want to do internship. how i will be selected for an enternship

• October 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM

Sir/Ma’am
    I am 1st semester CSE student and i am interested in all the internship that you have mentioned.But is this internships eligible for a student of 1st semester?

• November 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM

I want internship for MBA management.how I can take it..

• December 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I don’t understand what is intershala ..is provide a job without any pay…how to work it

• December 11, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Hi Rahul,

Internshala is an online portal with 2000+ live internships for students from various profiles.

You can apply to internships that suit your profile by registering with us (for free) using the following link –

All internships come with cool stipends and certificates. If you have any queries please drop us a mail at student@internshala.com

Regards,

• December 26, 2015 at 6:24 PM

i want to do intership in finance…

• December 29, 2015 at 11:53 PM

I m an EI sec year student….is it required to do training before an intrnship???

• January 2, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Hi…. I’m B.Tech 1st year student of IT branch. I wanna persue internship. When should I apply for it. Can I get it in 1st year??

• January 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Eligibility criteria?

• January 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Hi Anushka,

Different internships have different eligibility criteria.
      It depends on the internship you apply to.

Please visit here for the internships, and apply to the one which suits your profile.

Hope it helps.

• February 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM

I’m unable to edit my previously submitted work experience. I want to update my ongoing status of project to complete. How can I do that ? Please help. It’s not giving any editing option.

• February 10, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Hi Bibhuti,

You can edit the details yourself now in the work experience section.
      We have revamped the student profile on Internshala.

• February 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Thank you very much for the response.

• February 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM

i am a pgdm student and want to do my internship in bhubaneswar as marketing is my specialization .. suggest me the top five company in bhubaneswar to it ..please

• February 26, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Hellow sir, will you please suggest an internship for me ? Sir my trade is Electronics And Telecommunication, also i am interested in marketing , C, C++.

• March 23, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Currently I am in CSE 2nd year of engineering can i eligible to go for internship?
    If tell me the internships starts from june 1st week………………(2 months)

• March 25, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Would like to say that Internshala is an awesome platform to search internship opportunity in India. Thanks for sharing the importance of Internship that could benefit into the career of an student.

• March 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Regards,

• March 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM

tell me about the internships starts from June 1st, computer science………………pls

• April 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM

I just came 2 know about your website. I just wanna know little bit more about your , that actually this internshala is ??

• April 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Regards,

• June 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Hai..I pursued B.pharmacy in 2013..and i wanna do relevant internship.can i have a chance to do?

• June 18, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Hi Swathi,

At present, we don’t have any pharma internships listed on our platform. You may like to try out internships in some other fields.

Regards,

• June 22, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, It’s very helpful for this blog.Also great with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing well.

• September 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, Abiya. It’s good to know that you found the article useful.

• August 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM

sir, i’m completed my b.tech(mechanical engineering) in 2013 and 3 year gap after b.tech..now i’m doing job as a service advisor…..but i want to get a job as a mechanical engineering..what to do?? please

• October 26, 2016 at 9:14 PM

I am Having 10 years of work experience, but now i join full time MBA, so can i apply for any internship.

• January 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Hello, I am a biochemistry student, Planning to switch my field from medicine to an MBA
    Can i apply for internships pertaining to management field? Or am i not eligible for the same (given that i really have no knowledge about various MBA fields and the work being carried out in the same.)
    Please help!
    PS: I am open to learning new and different things though.

• March 14, 2017 at 8:43 PM

Hello sir,
    I am Akanksha Bardiya first year BBA student
    I am looking for summer internship, anything that has to do with public relations, managment, or communication.
    I will be glad if u could help me out.
    And yes the articles r really helpful n it motivated me even more to apply for internship and get good experieace!
    You are really helping the youth :)

• March 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM

I have appeared 10+2 in Science stream, basically I am very introvert and would like to continue study in foreign languages. Is there any career or internship option in this degree course. Kindly suggest me.

• April 3, 2017 at 4:29 PM

I’m from civil engineering is there any intership for me plz help me.

• April 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM

How to apply for internship in aerospace or mechanical field?

• April 27, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a Graphic Designer in Chandigarh. i want internship for Graphic Design .in Mumbai

• May 21, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I am a student of Electrical Engineering-2nd yr,i want to do an internship what would i prefer please suggest me…..

• June 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM

how should i apply for a internship?!!!

• June 27, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Hi Dhyani,

Thank you for writing in. To begin your internship journey on Internshala, you may register at this link (it’s free)- https://internshala.com/registration/student. After this, you will get a verification link. After verifying, you can access your Internshala’s account. You need to fill in your preference, duration you are free for, educational details (we create a resume for you) and then you can apply to various internships. Few internships that are live on our platform are here- https://internshala.com/internships/.

While applying, you will have to answer the question – ‘Why you should be hired for this internship?’. Your answer and the resume is shared with the employer when you apply for an internship. You can apply to multiple internships to improve your chances of getting hired.
      The employer receives the application and if they like it, they get in touch with the students directly to take it further (usually assignment, or interview). The student can see the status of their applications on their account’s dashboard.

P.S- Most of the internships on Internshla come with a cool stipend. We issue a certificate of merit for each internship you get hired to through Internshala.

Thanks,

• July 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Hi Internshaala team,

I am looking for a summer internship.
    As per qualification, I am pursuing Bcom (SOL DU) and COMPANIES SECRETARIES (CS). Currently I am in CS-EXECUTIVE stage.

Could you pls suggest and advice me for a intern in my core area ?

And
    Can I get internship in marketing or any other sector without being having prior knowledge or experience about it ?

• July 8, 2017 at 9:21 PM

Sir,
    I want to do internship in pharmaceuticals

• July 12, 2017 at 8:01 AM

What is the matter that can be written in answer page to hier in internships

• July 23, 2017 at 1:01 AM

I want to do internship in AMUL

• July 25, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Hi Astha,

Thank you for writing in. Currently, we have no information regarding the internship in AMUL. You may check their career page.
      Also, check here for the internship opportunities in Internshala- https://internshala.com/internships

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

• August 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM

Thank you for writing in. Currently, we have no information regarding the internship in AMUL. nice post .
    oimaa.in
    gidindia.in

• September 1, 2017 at 11:32 PM

hey…i have completed my mba in 2015 aftr tht i hv 2 yrs gap… am i eligible for intrnship.

• September 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM

Hey. I am in my first year of Bcom. Am I eligible for internships ? If yes what are the areas that in which I can do ?

• November 23, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Hello
    I am post graduate and have 2 years experience. but I want to know can I get this internship in my city?

• November 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM

Hello
    Can I get the internship in my city?

• November 24, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Hi Monika,

Thanks for writing in.
      Please visit https://internshala.com/internships. On the left side of the page, you’ll find a ‘location’ option. Select a city of your choice and browse internships available in that city.

Hope it helps.