Stuck in Engineering? Here’s How You Can Still Build a Career of Your Choice!

Stuck in Engineering- Here's how you can still build a career of your choiceIndia produces the largest number of engineers in the world. Over the years, being an engineer has been turned into a prerequisite for completing your education just like clearing your board exams; once you complete your engineering, you become eligible to pursue your real interests.
Ideally, even if everyone aspires to be a Rancho, there are very rare instances of finding a Rancho in the Indian colleges. The majority of the student population is comprised of Farhan Qureshis who have no real interest in their respective streams and are pursuing it just because of peer pressure.

If you are also one of the Qureshis in the 3rd or 4th year of college, you must have realized that engineering is not meant for you. Don’t worry- you still have 3-4 semesters left and you will get ample opportunities to try your hands on a diverse range of fields. And, of course, the best way to change your career track is by doing an internship. An internship lets you flirt with a variety of fields before you can finally commit to an ideal one! Some of the prominent areas wherein you can find internships are:

1. Sales and Marketing:
Enjoyed handling sponsorship responsibilities during your college fests? If you have good communication skills and like to meet and interact with new people, a sales/marketing internship is your ticket to get a first-hand experience of the business world. In addition, this is also the best way of honing your soft skills and preparing yourself if you are planning to do an MBA.
Market yourself in the corporate world; apply to some amazing marketing internships here.

2. Graphic Designing:
Love doodling or sketching? Know a bit of Photoshop? Keep comparing different logos or website designs thinking about how you could have made them better? If you think you have a good design sense, there are plenty of opportunities available for you to explore a dormant passion! Graphic design is a hot career field with a wide range of applications.
Design a new career path; apply to the latest designing internships here.

3. Content Writing:
Like writing stories (not just in exams)? Were Editor of your college magazine or own a blog or a Facebook page? A content writing internship provides you the chance to hone your writing skills and even get paid for it! From Search Engine Optimization to infographics, you learn a lot of new skills and are introduced to a diverse range of fields.
Write your own success story; apply to some cool content writing internships here.

4. Programming:
Have a knack for coding? Love the world of computers? There are a number of stream independent internships in Web and Mobile App development which you can apply to. There are plenty of helpful online courses too if you wish to improve your programming skills before working in a real world environment.
Crack the code of success; check out the latest programming internships here.

Start applying for various internships and decide for yourself which field actually suits you. It’s your life; don’t let anyone else dictate its terms to you ever again.

If you are also an engineering student and have something to add, please comment below; we would love to hear.

52 thoughts on “Stuck in Engineering? Here’s How You Can Still Build a Career of Your Choice!

• March 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Dear, also include that what to do if you complete your graduation in engineering with full interest but after you didn’t get any job. I think, 60% are facing this problem,even me also.
    Give solution to all that what they can do further.

• March 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM

I don’t know about coding.. But i want to become a programmer.. For that i want to do internship but how can i become programmer.. Plz guide me

• March 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Hi Vaibhav,

If you want to learn the basics of programming, you may join some online courses for the same.
      You can find many programming courses here: http://vtc.internshala.com/
      Join the ones which suit your profile.

You may drop a mail at student@internshala.com if you need more guidance for beginning your programming career.

Regards,

• March 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM

How to become a game programmer? do we still need to learn coding or just learn the 3D graphic?

• March 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Hi Kangen,

You do need to have some knowledge of coding for becoming a game programmer.
      Please drop a mail at student@internshala.com for your queries.
      We will help you out.

Regards,

• May 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Sir, I am interested in game programming. This year I passed the H.S. and I’ve joined a course in c,c++. It will start in two months. After that course will I be able for an internship in game programming?
        If not what other course I may take in this field?

• May 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Hi Kingshuk,

Ideally, a game programmer’s job requirements include a bachelor’s degree in computer science and a strong hold on some programming languages. You might get internship opportunities with your qualification, but it would be best to learn new skills, design sense, and languages.

Regards,

• May 22, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Thanks for your kind reply. I’m planning to get admission in computer science.I would be very gratefull if u inform exactly what kind of new skill should I learn .

• March 21, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I m like Raju rastogi…I hv also done mechanical engineering and want to make my carrier in this field…right now I m struggling to get the job…day by day I m getting frustrated so do u have any solution regarding such type of problem??

• March 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Hi Sumit,

You also need to gain the confidence like Raju did in the end. Don’t get frustrated.
      You may try your hands on mechanical internships first- you will gain practical knowledge, improve your resume and may even convert it into a full-time job.

To apply for awesome internships register with us using the following link –

You can check internships in the field of Mechanical Engineering here –

And apply to the ones which suit your profile the best.

Regards,

• March 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Sir,
    I’m doing civil engg. Sometime i found no interest in any field ,getting upset donno what should i do . help me sir

• March 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Hi Hemant,

You may try your hands in various fields to understand which field actually interests you and an internship is the best way to achieve that.

To apply for awesome internships register with us using the following link –

You can check internship in the field of Civil Engineering here –

You can also check out internships in different fields like content writing, graphic designing etc.

Regards,

• March 27, 2016 at 3:30 AM

Sir, initially I was fond of robotics so I went for engineering but after entering I’m struggling from 1st year now I’m in 3rd year but still have a KT I’ll clear my engineering no doubt but I’m confused whether I’ll get a job or not! meanwhile I have also developed interest in photography actually now I’m like in farhan’s situation I don’t know what to do at this stage & I’m really very confused. I’ll be very thankful to you if u can advise me. please contact me on my gmail rajguruparikshit@gmail.com

• March 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Hi Parikshit,

Don’t worry, many students go through this phase. It’s a good thing that you have developed an interest in some other field too.
      You may try for some photography internships as you are still in 3rd year. After completing a couple of internships you will know whether photography was just a passing interest or if you can actually pursue a career in it.

To apply for awesome internships register with us using the following link –

You can check internship in the field of Photography here –

And apply to the ones which suit your profile the best.

Regards,

• April 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Hello,
    I’m Advita K
    I’m doing my TE Computer Engineering.I seriously don’t like and don’t know coding at all.But I’m serious about my career.I want excel well.I have come through a field in Computer i.e. BIG DATA that works without coding and has a great scope.I’m not sure about this knowledge of mine regarding BIG DATA.Please help me out with what I should concentrate on now,in which area of computers so that I won’t need to code but I can excel well and get a great package.

• April 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Hi Advita,

Even in the Big Data field, you need to have the knowledge of coding and use it from time to time. If you don’t want to pursue coding, you may have to look for some other opportunities in your field.
      If you have any other queries, please drop a mail at student@internshala.com
      We will help you out.

Regards,

• April 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I am currently doin my mechanical engg.. Nd i am in 3rd year have been repeating 1 year… I am kinda stuck nd have no idea wat to do… Cant share problems wid parents… Plz help

• April 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Hi Harsh,

Don’t lose hope. Every person goes through this stage at some point in their life. If you think Mechanical engineering is not meant for you, you may try your hands in various fields to understand which field actually interests you and an internship is the best way to achieve that.

To apply for awesome internships register with us using the following link –

You can find internships in various streams here:

All the best :)

Regards,

• April 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM

hello sir…akshay here, I m a mechanical engineering, interested to do MBA, please guide me..which course will be better for me in MBA?????

• August 21, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Hi, I am Jaidev,
    I have complete B.Tech in Information technology. But I am not a good programmer and only less interest in it. I am interested in Aeronautical Engineering. Is there any way to do M.Tech or related courses in Aeronautical related areas?

• August 22, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Sir,
    I have done b.tech in electrical engineering nd want to build my career in this field but m struggling for job so plz give any solution about this.

• August 22, 2016 at 9:24 PM

R u placing in usa also??

• August 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Sir i m doing b.tech in cse final year.i m not intersted in coding. But i m intersted in networking.so i have done the CCNA also how can i get a job after my degree.

• August 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Hi Kavendra,

Thank you for writing in.
      If you have interest in Networking, then you must go for the Networking internships and jobs. Check this link for the Networking internships, and see if it helps. Internship will give you an experience and confidence to pursue the degree in this particular field-

• October 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM

Hi!
    I have completed my Bsc Honours in Computer Science this year! Initially, I liked the subject.. I was into hardware.. but now I’ve kinda lost interest in the field! I love reading and writing. I’m confused about my future now. I don’t think continuing with my subject will do me any good. So can you help me decide? or Suggest a suitable internship for me? I need a good job ASAP! ….

• December 10, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Meri life khrab krdi mere ghrvaalo ne mien kru smjh ni ata mujhe Hotel managment krna tha engineering kra di nhi hoti mere se sb khtm ho gya m 22 sal ka ho chuka hu sb ab tk meko khi job krni chaiye thi but yha year back lg gya na mr skta na jeene ka man krta na kisise baat krne ka man krta.. jindgi barbaad krdi meri.

• December 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Hi Akshay,

I believe there is no point crying over what has already happened. I am sure your parents only wanted the best for you. If you wish to pursue a career in hotel management, you can always begin with an internship. You may check out some really cool hotel management internships here – https://internshala.com/internships/hotel%20management-internship.
      Also, don’t be so depressed. All the best for your future endeavors :)

Thanks~ Unnatti

• December 25, 2017 at 5:43 PM

hello sir,
    i’m ishi saxena and currently i’m persuing BTECH from CSE and i wanted to know about the scope of interning in BIG DATA.. and what all skills it require.
    Thank you.

• January 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Harpreet this side, currently pursuing my B.tech (ECE) 3rd year, and don’t have any interest in the same. Told parents but they are denying and currently i am 21 yrs. I am having interest in Hotel mgmt. , Aviation and fashion. What to do , pls help me???

• January 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM

Hi sir,
    I am civil engineering student.i don’t have interest anymore and don’t understand what to do i’m totally confused and i am in 3rd year.i wanna do my career in another field.
    Is there possibility to do mba in other than this field.

• January 30, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Hi there, i m in final year of my chemical engineering and would like to know the exposure of my branch in various field to apply on.

• March 12, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Hey I m puspendu das,I m 3rd year civil engineering student…but I m stuck on it…although sem exam is in next week….I really don’t know what to do and how to chose a interrested carrier after b.tech….and don’t know how to move the next step…I
    Really feel interest less ….Please help and suggest me a good path..

• March 26, 2018 at 11:55 AM

Great article!!
    Yes you are exactly right about numerous benefits for those people who want to pursue MBA after engineering and there is one most amazing benefit that you will get easy success to a managerial position and move up in the hierarchy so thanks a lot for helping engineering students for showing another path.Thank You.

• May 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Hie sir I couldn’t complete my Btech after 6yrs of trying in Mechanical now my term is over an I am degree less. I have no career and my future is crashed. What can I do to repair my life? It seems like I have no options

• May 4, 2018 at 10:40 AM

Hi Sam,

Thanks for writing in.

Don’t worry. You can always restart your career with an internship. If you’re interested in mechanical engineering and have relevant knowledge and skills, you can apply to internships related to it. Please visit http://bit.ly/mech_engg for the same.

If not, you may look for internships that do not require a specific technical skill and are easy to grab. Please visit http://bit.ly/internship_IS for all internships available on Internshala. I’d suggest you apply to sales and marketing internships (http://bit.ly/sales_mark).
      Also, don’t lose hope! I am sure you’ll be able to find a way out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks~ Unnatti

• May 10, 2018 at 3:03 PM

Found your blog. Its really nice on engineering design company. I appreciate your article. Its important to get quality information on engineering designing. So thanks for sharing all that important information.

• May 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Its really a good blog on Mechanical engineering. I appreciate your article. Its important to get mechanical engineering tips. This blog is really helpful to give a light in this issue. So thanks for sharing all that important information.

• June 14, 2018 at 7:10 AM

Hello
    I am a btech 2014 pass out and still i have 3-4 papers backlogs, which is letting me down in my success. I would like to know whether I could finish it from different university so that I can join for my dream ventures. Please do help me

• June 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Hi Anand,

I’m afraid we do not have any information regarding this.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• June 18, 2018 at 12:42 PM

I am already having 3 years of work experience. But I love to write creative content and have done so for the sports and travel section of our in – house magazine. I am really confused whether I should do an internship now or not..?
    Dear Internshala Team,
    Please help me out of this.
    Regards
    Srikant

• June 19, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Hi Srikant,

Since you’ve been working for 3 years, it might be difficult for you to take care of your expenses if you quit your job and do an internship. I’d suggest that you do a work-from-home internship to gain some experience in the field and figure out if this is what you want to pursue a career in. Please register here – http://bit.ly/new-registration to begin your journey on Internshala.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• August 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Wonderful points you have mentioned here. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.