Most likely, you may have come across this post while searching for internships in Infosys. The second-largest Indian IT services company, Infosys is known for providing in-depth training to the interns and college recruits.
What are the types of internships available and who are eligible to apply?
Infosys runs two different internship programs:
1. InStep: The flagship global internship program for undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. students. The program includes a mixture of students from various disciplines like engineering, management, and liberal arts who intern at different locations all across the world. For this program, only the students from the partnering institutions can apply. From India, students from IITs are eligible to apply.
2. Winter Internship: This is the special internship program of 16 weeks for undergraduate and postgraduate engineering students of CSE and IT branch, and MCA students.
How to apply?
InStep program – You can visit the official InStep website and apply online. You need to create an account to log in and fill the application form. You need to apply at least 4-5 months before your planned starting date.
Winter internship program: Contact the HR of the Infosys office you wish to intern at through the Training & Placement cell of your college. You need to contact the office at least 3-4 months prior to the period you are available for the internship. You can also try to connect with the HR executives through LinkedIn or some reference.
What after applying?
Students are asked either to upload their resume while applying online (company website or LinkedIn) or to send in their resumes to the HR they communicated with. Following the initial screening on the basis of the resumes and applications, a telephonic interview is scheduled which is not that rigorous. The questions asked are basic and rarely technical. Few sample questions are:
• Questions regarding OS concepts.
• General questions about object oriented programming.
• What is your career objective and what do you expect from this internship?
• What are your hobbies? Have you participated in any state/national level events?
Once the telephonic interview is over, the shortlisted candidates receive an offer letter. For the InStep program, this is followed by the logistics and Visa preparation.
What to expect once the internship starts:
The 16-week internship is divided into two parts- first 6 weeks of training programs and next 10 weeks working on a live project. The training program is further divided into three parts:
1. Generic: Based on fundamental subjects of Computer Science like RDBMS using Oracle, OOPs using Java, Cloud computing etc.
2. Stream specific: Based on specific technology like J2EE, .NET, Mainframe, SAP etc.
3. L&D training: Soft skills, Business communication (oral and written) etc.
The stipend provided is 8-10K/ month along with free accommodation for the complete duration of the internship in Infosys’s huge and elegant Mysore campus. All the recreational facilities like swimming pool, gym, Amphitheatre etc. can also be availed at a nominal charge.
Word of advice from ex-interns:
Getting Placed: An exam is conducted at the end of the internship which results in two different outcomes:
1. If you pass the exam: You directly get placed at Infosys and receive your offer letter in next 2-3 weeks. You won’t need to undergo the training program again and will join directly as an employee thereby saving 6 months of your time.
2. If you fail the exam: You can join Infosys as a Systems engineer trainee after completing your graduation and you will have to undergo the foundation training program again along with students hired through college placements.
Mentorship: The interns get the chance to work alongside professionals from across the globe. Mentors provide ample time to solve your doubts and provide you enough technical and behavioral know-hows to prepare you for your transition from a student to a working professional.
A couple of pro-tips:
• You need to provide an NOC from your institute before you can start your internship.
• You have to sign a bond before you begin your internship according to which if you don’t join Infosys after the training period, you have to pay a certain amount.
• Interns are selected on a project to project basis. Your ability and compatibility with the available projects play an important role in your selection.
If you have done an internship at Infosys and have something to add, we would love to hear; please comment below.