Applying for an Indian visa for internships – Everything you need to know
With India taking giant strides towards fostering international education and trade, the Indian High Commission is trying to simplify its immigration system. A better organized Indian visa application process is the next step in this direction, and so if you are an international student planning to do an internship, the time is ripe to apply for an Indian visa.
What is an Intern visa?
Prior to April 1, 2017, it was necessary for foreigners to obtain an Employment visa or a Business visa (depending on case-by-case reviews) for pursuing internships in India, and the overall process was complex. The procedure has been simplified now and foreigners who meet certain conditions can now get an internship visa. Intern visa is the new addition to the group of Indian visas, introduced for foreigners intending to pursue internships in Indian companies, educational institutions, and NGOs.
The period of Intern visa would be restricted to the duration of the internship program or one year, whichever is less.
Things to keep in mind before applying:
1. The intern visa will be granted after completion of graduation/post-graduation. The gap between the completion of graduation/post-graduation and the commencement of the internship should not exceed one year.
2. Conversion/extension of the Intern visa into Employment visa or any other type of visa will not be permitted.
3. If the internship duration is more than 180 days, the intern is required to register with the concerned Foreigner’s Registration Office (FRO) within 14 days of arrival.
4. Earnings of the foreign nationals from the internship will be subject to the Indian income tax regulations.
5. The intern can have single/double/multiple entries in India during the mentioned time.
6. If the internship is in a company, the intern should draw a minimum remuneration of INR 7.80 lakhs per annum to be eligible for this visa.
1. Online application: You need to apply online and fill the Indian visa application form.
2. Documents required with your application –
a) A letter from the concerned Indian company/educational institution/NGO sponsoring you for the internship program, clearly indicating the period of internship.
b) A letter from your institution and a letter of financial guarantee either from bank or parents
c) A proof that you are a resident of the mentioned country
3. Once your application is submitted successfully, submit the physical copy of the application form, along with your passport, at the concerned Indian Visa Application Center (IVAC) (or directly to Indian Mission/Post in absence of IVAC) on the scheduled date of interview along with the requisite supporting documents.
4. For further details and to check the status of your application, visit here. Indian visa fees depend on different factors and you will get to know the exact amount during the online application process.
Visa processing time:
Upon receipt of the visa application through IVAC or directly, the Indian Mission/Post requires a minimum of three working days to process the case and issue a visa depending on the nationality.
1. Photo requirements: You need to upload your digital photograph to complete the regular visa application and there are specific guidelines for that. You can check them here under ‘Photo Requirements’.
2. If you have been employed even for a short period of time, if you are still studying in college, or if you won’t be starting your internship within one year of graduation, you are not eligible to apply for the Intern visa. You need to continue applying under the Business/Employment category.
3. Some countries like Russia, Egypt, and Spain etc. haven’t adopted the Intern visa yet. If your country is one of them or if the company is providing you a remuneration less than INR 7.80 lakhs per annum, you’ll need to apply for the Business visa or Employment visa only.
Now that you are aware of all the Indian visa requirements, what are you waiting for? Apply to these cool internships in India and experience the flavor of Incredible India. :)
Image courtesy: Youth Incorporated Magazine
17 thoughts on “Applying for an Indian visa for internships – Everything you need to know”
This is really informative article.Thanks.
I have a question though. What are the documents Indian companies need to ask from foreign students to apply/join for internship apart from Intern VISA?
I have requirements for foreign interns. I tried to call you and mailed you twice but there was no reply. Kindly contact me for the same.
Thanks for writing in.
Could you please drop your number or email id in reply to this comment? You may also call us on 0124 4004123.
What if I’m studying in India? Can i still pursue a paid internship on a student visa?
Can an Internship who as come on one company (Ex : ABC company) after coming to India can he be deputed to other company (Ex: XYZ company) for working where in ABC company and XYZ company has a manpower employment contract with them.
Thanks to let us know this to take further.
Can I get an intern visa in India without returning to my home country? I am in India and want to remain here and begin the internship.
If I am currently still in college, can I get an intern visa?
Thank you for writing in.
Please got through this document for more details about Intern Visa — http://bit.ly/IS_Visa. Hope it helps :)
Have you figured out if university or college enrolled students can apply for an intern visa? I am in a very similar position myself.
Where do you find the FFRO requirements for documents for registration for interns or would it be possible to provide them here?
Thank you for writing in.
Please go through the above article for details, also, you can go through this document for additional details — http://bit.ly/IS_Visa. Hope it helps.
We are looking for foreign interns, Are you still in India? looking for internship Opportunity?
You may post your intern requirement on Internshala by registering as an employer at this link- https://internshala.com/registration/employer. Moreover if in case it suits your preferences, you can also hire virtual interns. If you have any doubt or need assistance, feel free to write to email@example.com. We will be happy to assist.
Would I be able to apply for a travel visa in advance for me to travel in India after my intern visa finishes?
Hi guys. I am doing Internship in Mumbai and my visa will be expired on 8 of Jan , My HR asked me to extend for more 10 days as its written in the contract i i will be leaving by 17th of Jan. Do you think its possible for me to extend? I have check FRRO form for visa extention but i couldnt find intern visa. any idea what i have to do? thank you
I also have the same question, can somebody please answer this and let us know and is there any specific taxes we have to pay Indian Gov’t for the same?