Do you know that feeling when you are out window shopping and your eyes get stuck on that beautiful pair of shoes but you can’t buy them because broke students can’t afford Jordan? And the feeling when you’re bored of watching Ekta Kapoor’s Naagin and want to do something productive? Disheartening, right? So let me tell you a super quick solution to utilise your time and make some cash too! Well, you can either work part-time at McDonald’s (or start a tiffin service if you are a housewife) or you can change into your pajamas, sit back on the couch, and flip open your laptop to do an online job!
What is an online job?
An online job, also known as a virtual job, work from home job, or part-time job, is an opportunity to work for a few hours daily or on weekends (as per your availability) from the comfort of your home or hostel and earn money online.
In other words, online jobs are your chance to keep the paycheck coming while losing the hours you spend commuting, the formal attire, and the horrible bosses!
Why are online jobs so popular?
The popularity of online jobs from home is due to the following reasons –
1. No need for investment – One can look for opportunities to work from home without investment, which means one doesn’t need to pay any sort of registration fee to apply to an online job.
2. No specific skills required – Online jobs do not require a specific skill set and are open to all – be it a school or college student, graduate, housewife, or a retiree. Anyone with a little knowledge of MS-Office and computer can earn money online by doing work from home jobs.
3. Flexibility – Online jobs offer a flexibility in terms of working hours. Not stuck up in a 9-5 rut, you can schedule your working hours as per your convenience – you can either work by the day or during the night. Plus, you don’t have to get up early and can binge-watch all your favorite shows whenever you want without having to worry about going to the office.
4. No upper cap on earning – You can take up multiple online jobs at a time or do any number of assignments depending on the number of hours you are willing to put in, and therefore, earn as much as you want to.
5. Follow your passion – Being busy with our studies, jobs, or familial responsibilities, more often than not, we are unable to pursue what we feel passionate about. Online jobs provide us with a platform to follow our hobby or passion by devoting just an hour or two and turn it into a source of income.
Types of online jobs for students –
1. Online data entry jobs – The demand for online data entry jobs is a result of the need for organizing and analysing data for the growth of a business. As a data entry professional, you will mostly be involved in scraping data and entering it into spreadsheets (or other systems).
Skills required – Typing quickly and accurately along with a basic knowledge of computer and MS Office.
2. Online web development jobs – Standing out in the list of online jobs for college students is an online job in web development. If you have a considerable knowledge of coding and web design, you can easily find jobs in this field. Most organisations/individuals who want a static website outsource it to a freelancer. If you’re a rookie in this field but interested in working as a web developer, you can find online trainings and tutorials on the web that’ll get you started.
Skills required – A working knowledge of web development technologies such as HTML, CSS, Java, and SQL.
3. Online writing jobs – The one thing that robots cannot replace! If you are good at writing and picking out grammatical errors in a text, you have opened a trunk of opportunities for yourself. In an online content writing job, you can write travel and food blogs, research-based and SEO-based articles, or descriptive articles about a product. Students can also look for online proofreading jobs that include correcting grammatical and spelling errors and modifying the sentence structure for easy readability.
Skills required – An excellent command over Hindi or English and an eye for details.
4. Online design jobs – Students studying design have a variety of options such as logo and label design, web design, packaging design, and T-shirt/mug design.
Skills required – A working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop or similar design software like Sketch or Experience Design.
5. Online tutoring jobs – A great option for college students, online tutoring jobs help you make money online by utlising your knowledge in a particular subject and helping others learn the subject. As an online tutor, you can either upload notes or videos on a particular chapter or provide real-time tuition to students online.
Skills required – An excellent knowledge of a particular subject that students learn in school or college.
6. Online customer service jobs – Most product-based organisations hire virtual customer service executives to resolve their customers’ queries. Such jobs entail answering emails and chat messages and at times, assisting customers over calls. A wonderful step for college students to hone their communication skills, this job may also include interacting with clients and explaining the services/product of a company.
Skills required – Fluency in either Hindi, English, or a regional language and email writing etiquette.
What all do I need to get an online job?
A laptop. A high-speed internet connectivity. An email account. A fair knowledge of MS Office. A mobile phone.
Wait, that’s it? Yes!
How to get an online job?
1. Online part-time job sites – You can look for work from home jobs online on various sites such as Freelancer, Upwork, Fiverr, Monster, Craiglist, etc.
2. Internshala – Internshala is an online platform that provides online jobs from home to students and housewives across a variety of profiles such as engineering, management, and content writing.
Why should I do an online job from Internshala?
Despite all its perks, an online job doesn’t add any value to your resume since you receive neither a certificate nor a letter of recommendation that talks about your services and skills. So, it is broadly just a medium to earn money online. What if these work from home jobs helped you earn extra cash and added value to your resume! Internshala makes this possible. For every job that you’re hired for, you’ll receive a certificate from Internshala and on completing a job, you’ll receive a certificate from the employer that hires you. Also, it saves you from the hassle of finding genuine online jobs which are legal and not fake. Each and every posting on the platform undergoes an authentication process to ensure that there aren’t any discrepancies between what is posted and what is offered to the candidates.
Image credits: Clipartuse.com, google.com