Being broke – we’ve all been there! There is always a time in your college life when you run out of cash and the ATM machine is no longer the friend you thought it was. It’s only the middle of the month and you know your next allowance is still a mirage. Until then, whenever you turn out your pockets, all you’ll find are old ATM receipts (a constant reminder of how much you spent; they even send a message just in case you throw the receipts away), Snickers’ old wrappers (in retrospect, you reckon you could have survived on teen rupaye ke samose), and tissues (because no one really checks the pockets before washing). But just because you are broke, your social life won’t come to a halt. So now, you have to resort to tactics like switching off your phone and taking different exits to ensure you don’t run into a friend who’d ask you to chill after class because chill translates to chillar which you don’t have.
Following are the 7 situations one goes through when completely broke:
1. The one with five steaks and an eggplant – Nothing sums up this feeling like the F.R.I.E.N.D.S episode when Ross decided to split the bill equally. ‘Let’s equally divide it’ – the words you absolutely detest when you are broke! A broke bloke always makes a mental note of the amount of cash he has. It takes multiple excuses like ‘I have already eaten’ or ‘I’ll have something light’ to play it cool while ordering bread and water. While your Maths honours friend splits the bill, you vaguely consider coughing back the bread. You somehow manage to scrape up the Gandhis but leave feeling like you sold a kidney.
2. Missed calls – What’s the whole point of missed calls if you have talk time! Missed calls are an art you appreciate especially when you are low on account balance or when you are too lazy to go get JIO. You just pray to all the gods up there that your friend won’t pick up the call – and then he does!
3. Walking seems like the healthy alternative – When the greens run short, your usual Uber attitude paves the way to ‘I think I’ll walk’. Kahan jana hai? Market? Paas hi toh hai, chal lenge! Metro station? Arre chal lenge! Connaught Place? Arre chal lenge yaar!
4. Let’s go to Kasol? – The moment you’re broke, the universe sends a signal to your friends to start planning a trip. Otherwise, for the entire year, they can’t decide where to go. Your ever-ready soul has to come to terms with your ever-needy bowl.
You – Yay! let’s go!
Wallet – I beg to differ.
5. Capitalize on being a “Foodie” – A.K.A living up to your real standards. At times like these, food in any plate you have not paid for looks and tastes twice as good. You fall to such levels that you manage to discover new geological layers.
6. Toffee system hurts – Now, to be fair, toffee system hurts even when you are not broke. So when you are broke and the shopkeeper chooses to give back a Five Star instead of hard, cold change, it’s like a karate kick in your stomach. This is when the jaga hua grahak fights for his consumer rights!
7. Forgetting wallets (specifically on dates) – Shame moonwalks away while you pretend to look for your wallet, encountering new pockets you didn’t know existed, hoping all the while that your date has the required amount or is ready to support you while you wash dishes.
“If you’re in a hole, stop digging.” While Mark Twain’s wise words are there to guide you to avoid a similar fate next month, why not get yourself out of that hole by checking out new internships here!
Images credits: Giphy.com, Tenor.com, Facebook.com