How to get a job at Google

Whether you needed to know the correct way to spell “embarrasing” (or is it “embarassing”?) or when you just couldn’t remember which episode of FRIENDS Brad Pitt was in – Google has always been there for you (it’s the 9th episode of the 8th season, by the way. You’re welcome)! Now tell me honestly, do you daydream about working at Google, Vince Vaughn’s words running through your mind telling you how amazing Google is with all the unlimited free food, nap pods, massage rooms, slides, and a mile-long list of other perks?

If your daydream brought you here, great! We’ve got plenty of material for your fantasy job. If you want to live this dream, you’ve landed at the one-stop shop for all your questions about how to get a job at Google.

What are the types of jobs at Google?
Google offers jobs in the following three domains primarily.

1. Engineering: Technical roles at Google include software engineering, STA engineering, application development, product management, etc.
2. Business: Non-technical jobs at Google include quantitative business analysis, business operations management, sales strategy, etc.
3. Design: You can also apply for roles such as UI/UX designer, UX writer, visual designer, UX researcher, etc.

What does Google look for in an employee?
Have you ever wondered why Google’s logo doesn’t follow a pattern? That’s because Google doesn’t follow rules! Even when it comes to hiring, instead of following any recruitment rules, it values individuality. Googlers are infamous for thinking outside the box, and that’s exactly what impresses Google!

For all the roles, there is a minimum requirement of a bachelor’s degree in the particular field or equivalent practical experience. If you have the right professional experience, it might not even matter if you don’t have a college degree. If you have a broad range of basic knowledge and skills in many areas rather than rooted expertise in only one specific field, then you are what Google calls a ‘T-shaped person’. Hiring managers at Google are pretty interested in such candidates who are skilled in their field but are also flexible enough to stretch their experience and learning across other fields. What matters more to Google is if you’re curious and willing to learn and not whether you have a Harvard degree!

How to apply for a job at Google?
Channels for applying:
Applying for a job at Google can be much like facing a giant, and you can find yourself in a tight hold of questions such as Where do I start?, What will I need?, How do I prepare?, etc. Fret not, we have the answers!

1. Apply online: Google careers
One can apply for jobs at Google directly through the
Google website. It’s simple—enter the field of your preference, add your location, and finally add the skills and experience relevant to the job you’re looking for. Google will filter jobs according to your set preferences; all you have to do is apply.
2. Employee referrals: If you know someone who works at Google, use that to get your foot in the door and fast-track your application. You can also connect with employees via LinkedIn and request them to refer you for a job. Legend has it that Google recruiters are active on LinkedIn, and if your resume impresses them, they might call you for an interview.
3. Campus placements: Google visits select few colleges/universities like IIT, NIT, DTU, etc. for college placement programs.
4. APAC TestGoogle organises Kick Start, a coding contest open for programmers in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region throughout the year. Those interested can register for the competition and enter any three-hour round they wish to. Top competitors may get an opportunity to interview for a technical job at Google.

What after applying for Google jobs online?
Typically, it takes about six weeks to go through the entire process. Needless to say, the selection procedure at Google is extremely thorough so as to ensure that the recruiters hire the cream of the crop. Reviewers focus more on the candidate than the application, so if they think you’re better suited for another role, you might hear from them regarding a job you didn’t initially apply for. After an initial screening of the application one makes, Google conducts a total of 5 interviews.

1. Telephonic/Hangout interview:
If the recruiter likes your application for a role, the next step is a telephonic/Hangout interview with Google. This interview focuses on evaluating your role-related knowledge. For technical roles, this interview covers your knowledge of data structures and algorithms. Get ready for a lot of coding questions; interviewers are particularly interested in the approach you follow to solve a problem.
Tip: Google follows a behavioural interview approach which means you will need to provide examples from your own experience to back up your resume.
2. On-site interviews:
After the first round of interviews is cleared, Google conducts four subsequent in-office interviews with different Googlers. Each interview round lasts about 30 to 45 minutes. And don’t worry, Google covers all transport and accommodation costs. Google interview questions cover four key points – general cognitive ability, leadership, role-related knowledge, and “Googleyness”, which is one’s ability to use one’s individuality and response to ambiguity. Google recruiters usually ask open-ended questions with no one correct answer, so candidates have the freedom to draw from their own experiences. For technical roles, questions will mainly be about coding and algorithms. You will essentially have to think out loud how you would approach a certain technical problem and how you would go about finding a solution for it.

Here are a few sample Google interview questions:
I. HR interview questions:
1. Why do you want to work for Google?
2. Why are you a good fit for the role?
3. How would you describe yourself?
4. What’s your biggest achievement to date?
5. What is your favourite Google product and how would you improve it?
6. What would you do if your coworker was constantly rude to her client on the phone?
7. When you type
www.google.com on your browser, what happens?
8. How do you handle feedback?
9. Do you have any suggestions for our products?

II. Technical questions:
1. Which is your favourite programming language and what do you not like about it?
2. Tell me everything you know about hash tables.
3. How does Traceroute network diagnostic tool work?
4. How would you create an algorithm to verify whether a number is prime or not?
5. Imagine you were creating a search engine for events; how would you go about it?
6. Explain Linux virtual memory.
7. What kind of software are you interested in developing?
8. Describe how Dijkstra’s algorithm works.
9. How would you build a product like YouTube?
10. What was the hardest bug to solve in a project that you worked on?
11. How would you implement a thread-safe LRU cache?
12. How would you find the longest substring which contains only two unique characters?

III. Non-technical questions:
1. How would you increase Google’s revenues?
2. How would you handle a request from your boss that clearly violates company policy?
3. Which traits differentiate a manager from a leader? How do you rank yourself on each?
4. Tell me about a situation when you had to use your analytical skills.
5. How would you prioritise a large book of clients in a short amount of time?
6. How would you launch a product like local search? What are the considerations and risks? How would you elicit the support of partners? How would you check for fraud?

You can check out these tips on Google engineering interviews. For more clarity on Google’s recruitment process, watch how Google hires.

What to expect from Google job?

For the past 10 years, Google has consistently managed to make it to the top 100 list of the best companies to work at, being one of the only 3 companies to do so. Google has 4 offices across Indiain Gurgaon, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Bangalore, each reflecting Google’s uniqueness in different ways. Google has some of the best employee benefits in the world, the least of which are free food at any time of the day, recreation rooms (including video games, nap rooms, indoor games, etc.) to wind down or spark inspiration, meditation rooms, slides to move around, and financial benefits.

‘Great just isn’t good enough’ is one of Google’s core values and Googlers are required to think unconventionally. They are constantly experimenting with new ideas and challenging themselves in order to come up with something new. Google has a ‘Googler-to-Googler’ programme wherein employees collaborate with and coach each other on skills like management, public speaking, etc. Another reason why Google is one of the best places to work at is its policy on work-hours flexibility. There is no fixed schedule, and employees are encouraged to work on their own terms. This allows Googlers the freedom to think as creatively as they can, without being held back by strict working hours.

Tips to get a job at Google:
1. Brush up on your technical skills with the help of Google Tech Dev Guide and practice coding regularly by participating in coding contests.
2. Your GPA is only one of the many criteria considered for selection so you don’t need to worry about it too much.
3. Recruiters focus more on the applicants’ relevant experiences and achievements, so it’s necessary to be specific about the projects you’ve done, their outcome, and how you measure that success. Google recommends the following formula to construct your experiencesAccomplished [X] as measured by [Y] by doing [Z].
4. Make your application as attractive as possible for Googlers that review it. Mention that you participated in open-source projects, have a blog, etc. They need to see that you have passions aside from work.
5. One presumption most people have about Google is that they ask convoluted, brainteaser-type questions in their interviews but that’s not true anymore; you don’t have to try and think of how many golf balls can fit in a bus!

Now getting a job at Google may require tons of relevant experience; if you have it, apply to the dream job! However, if you have blank spaces under the ‘Work Experience’ section in your resume, apply to internships with PPO and find a job!

Image credits – officechai.com, uevf.org, cebglobal.com

48 thoughts on “How to get a job at Google

• August 4, 2019 at 2:27 PM

you haven’t written about google foobar a secret coding test for developers

• August 27, 2019 at 6:34 AM

Do I need a computer science degree to be a Google software engineer?

• August 27, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Hi Dilip,

Thank you for writing in.

We do not have any current information regarding eligibility criteria for internships at Google. Please visit their careers page for more information.

Thanks. :)

• June 11, 2020 at 7:20 PM

I want an job

• July 9, 2020 at 1:49 PM

I am in 9th class and can I get jab in your company GOGGLE

• August 30, 2019 at 4:58 AM

I have studied b.sc., computers..
    Is there eligibility to apply for Google job???

• August 30, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Hi Poojitha,

Thank you for writing in.

We do not have any current information regarding the eligibility criteria for internships at Google. Please visit their careers page for more information.

However, if you wish to apply to different organizations then you can register on Internshala here – http://bit.ly/IS_N. Once registered and logged into your account, you may click on the ‘Internships’ button on the dashboard to view all the internships available on the platform. You can also filter internships according to your location and duration available. Hope this helps.

Thanks. :)

• March 26, 2020 at 10:04 PM

Develop the Google

• June 11, 2020 at 10:58 PM

Want to take job in Google because it my dream.. to get job in google.. I am very hardworking person ….

• May 31, 2020 at 9:38 PM

Hi..
      This is Areesha.. I’m in 10th class.. I have great interest in software programming and after completing my engineering I want to join google.. Please guide me to the right path.. I shall be highly obliged..

• June 1, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Hi Areesha,

Please visit their careers page for more information. You may connect with the concerned personnel on LinkedIn for more details on application process. Hope it helps.

Thanks~Tejas

• September 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM

I want to get into google

• September 7, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Thanks for explaining the Google Job skill. This is very much helpful for all who see this.

• September 10, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Hi Murugan,

Thanks! We hope it was useful.

Warmly~ Neha

• December 9, 2019 at 4:25 PM

I complated my bcom i want a job in google

• January 30, 2020 at 7:06 PM

I am complete b.sc maths. …I have not clearly spoken English my language Tamil clearly ..I HAVE NO IDEA DESIGNED AND ETC ….BUT MY DREAM .. i work for google but i practice practice time you not give salary…..but i will learning and choose for job and you will give salary….just now i suit this job..but one think i good worker and very lazy so defently i smart worker ..

• September 9, 2020 at 12:44 AM

I want to join a job in Google. I am homemaker and I want to know about what type of job is best for me in Google. I have knowledge of PPC and digital marketing..Can I got selected in Google if I apply?

• September 9, 2020 at 2:29 PM

Hi Vandy,

We do not have any current information regarding jobs at Google. Please visit their careers page for more information.

However, if you wish to apply for similar internships at different organizations then you can register on Internshala here http://bit.ly/new-registration.

• June 25, 2020 at 3:39 PM

Hey there..
        My name is Rohit. And I’m a B.comm graduate student.
        I have some knowledge about the financial market..
        I am working at “income tax return” office for a year during my college study’s..
        I am finding a job for a income source..
        I hope that I’ll getting a job to my skills based.
        Thank you. !

• June 30, 2020 at 1:48 PM

Hi Rohit,

We do not provide job opportunities at the moment. However, you can look for internships that come with a job offer. Please visit here – https://bit.ly/Bcom_is to view relevant internships and apply to the one(s) suits your interest.

Hope this helps.

Thanks~Tejas

• September 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Iam interested

• September 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Hi Srilatha,

Please go through the above article to understand the selection process at Google.

Unnatti

• September 17, 2019 at 10:03 AM

I complete my graduation in computer science. So can i apply for good job and internship program.

• September 17, 2019 at 10:05 AM

I complete my graduation in Computer Science. So can i apply for google job and internship program.

• September 26, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Can I explore places for Google and get paid?

• October 6, 2019 at 10:25 AM

Good morning Google

Hi everybody
    My self sangeeta varma
    I have done my graduation and 6 yrs experienced in backend.
    I’m very interested work in Google office
    it’s my dream to work in Google office

so please let me know any work for me.

Thank you.

• January 12, 2020 at 10:35 PM

Hey iam in the 2nd year of engineering computer science..i need some tips from you on how to prepare for google jobs…i think i can prepare in 2 years..please give me some advice on how to do it..please response..

• January 21, 2020 at 7:42 PM

My name is Robert Zanes and I have been in sales for many many years, I would like a chance to provide a better lifestyle for my family and show my sales ability, and earn the most money for for my experience. I look forward to a chance to prove to you that i can and will do what i say, please , take a minute to respond back to me at your convenience. Thank you.

• January 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM

Please respond

• September 14, 2020 at 9:49 AM

Hello Sir/Madam,

Myself Shaik Abdul Jabbar, I belongs to Rajahmundry(Andhra Pradesh,India). I have done with 12th. I have work experienced For 1 year in Customer service voice support. I am looking for a job in the Google. Could you please tell me about Google job updates.

Thanking you.

• September 15, 2020 at 12:14 PM

Hi Abdul,

• January 21, 2020 at 7:45 PM

I have recently applied to google and hope that you received my first comment,

• February 7, 2020 at 3:59 PM

Great! Thanks for sharing this interesting content and can you tell me what is the degree criteria?

• February 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM

Hello Google.
    My name is Manisha Pandey
    It’s my dream to achieve job in Google but I’m graduate. i can do b.com and aur m.com (appearing).if Google provide me chance to prove myself so i can.. because today i really want a respectable job and I really know Google is.i want job now because my father is an ex service man and now he do a job and earn ₹20000.today we are 3 siblings and this amount is not enough for us and my father is not capable to do job any more so,i request you to provide me job in Google any type job…..i can do m.com with finance sector.if you have prove me any job i can do…..thank you.thank you so much Google and i think you can feel my emotions….

• February 9, 2020 at 4:56 PM

Tommorow is also my birthday….and i want as a give Google provide me a job……i pray for you Google

• February 24, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Hey there,
    I’ve done my graduation in drawing and art
    I know some designing software like Photoshop, illustrator, stetchbook
    I know design posters, name plstes, business card….etc
    I want to do something for Google how can i….. Can someone will help me.

• April 20, 2020 at 7:15 PM

My name is MUHAMMED RAYYAN
    I want a job.Because I want money to travel the whole world.I have completed my 12th class.Iam 18 year old.I have a experience as a salesmen.
    I HOPE YOU WOULD ACCEPT MY REQUEST
    With pleasure,
    MUHAMMED RAYYAN

• May 8, 2020 at 6:21 AM

Please I want a job , the corona virus spoil my career.

• May 8, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Hi Shiv kumar,

I’m afraid we do not provide jobs as of now. You could look for internships with us. Please visit here – http://bit.ly/internship_is to view all internships available on our platform.

Hope you find it useful!

Thanks~Tejas

• May 31, 2020 at 11:19 PM

Myself Imbran Khan l completed my graduation last year only but I was working as a contractual worker in DSS, Port Blair Andaman and Nicobar Islands for last 9 years. I born and brought up in this Island only. My additional qualification is typing and Diploma in computer application and also have a two and four wheeler license and I can speak in four language such as Hindi, Tamil, English and Telugu. And personally believe that my typing and driving is good. Can I get any job from Google. My age is 28

• June 1, 2020 at 1:59 PM

Hi Imbran,

Thanks~Tejas

• June 7, 2020 at 2:39 AM

I am currently working in embedded systems domain (Testing of Smart Card-Secure elements) . But I want to shift to Google for a complete software developer role. How can I prepare for this? What are the steps to be followed to achieve a job at google.?

Thanks!!

• June 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM

Hi Ajith,

With regards to your transition to new profile, we would recommend you to get familiarized with softwares associated with software development profile such as PHP, HTML, CSS, AJAX, Bootstrap, Django, JavaScript, .NET, Angular, Android, etc to improve your chances of landing the job of your interest. I hope this helps.

Wish you good luck!

Thanks~Tejas

• June 11, 2020 at 8:48 AM

Hello Google,
    I am Nitesh Pal from Indian I recently appear my 12 exam in Mumbai. but my small dream is to work in google companies just I need your help for make me your employees. You teach me a better experience. And i will complete my graduation. Just I need your help.

• June 18, 2020 at 12:50 PM