We feel delighted to announce the winner of Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2020. Congratulations Shohinie Basu!
Selected amongst 10,500 applications, Shohinie Basu is a second-year student pursuing B.Tech in Computer Science from Camellia Institute of Technology, Kolkata, West Bengal. Born and raised in Barrackpore, a small city in West Bengal, her journey is nothing short of inspiring. It had been less than a week since she lost her father when we interviewed her. Her father, who was a mechanical engineer, had taken voluntary retirement in 2006 because of his wife’s untimely death. Having lost her mother at the tender age of 10, Shohinie had to get accustomed to the harsh realities of life early on. The connectivity to school had already been a barrier for her when she also undertook the added responsibility of household chores. Her resolution to not give up helped her in overcoming the challenges that this situation presented. Such was her perseverance that she studied under street lights because of the family’s inability to pay electricity dues.
In 2014, the family again went through a trying time when Shohinie’s father lost 17 lac rupees in the Saradha Group financial scandal. They lost their means of sustenance and came down to poverty line. Determined to continue her education, Shohinie opted for a Diploma in Computer Science and started working as a lab assistant to support her family financially. Fighting relentlessly against all odds, she scored a commendable 82% in her diploma. Such was her grit that she didn’t stop at that and enrolled herself in a B.Tech programme.
Shohinie plans to use this scholarship amount to pay her college fee for the fourth semester. She aspires to be financially independent and to become a professor.
Internshala feels truly honored to have chosen her as the winner of Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2020. Keep it up Shohinie – we sincerely hope that this scholarship amount paves the way for a successful career and inspires many more girls and women throughout the country to pursue their own dreams even more relentlessly.
Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls was instituted on 29th December 2012 due to the sad coincidence of the Delhi rape victim’s passing away on the same day as that of Internshala’s second anniversary. We have aimed to advance one girl’s career every year through an award of Rs. 25,000.
The selection criteria for the scholarship award are four-fold:
– An element of fighting against odds
– An element of achievement
– An element of purpose
– An element of need
You can read about the previous winners below:
1. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2019 Winner – Gazala Praveen from Asansol Engineering College, West Bengal
2. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2018 Winner – Kakumanu Sagar Sailaja from Narasaraopeta Engineering College, Andhra Pradesh
3. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2017 Winner – Resham Fatma from Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
4. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2016 Winner – Rekha V. from College of Nursing, Bangalore
5. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2015 Winner – Shobhalakshmi C.S. from Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Science, Karnataka
6. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2014 Winner – Sweety Kumari from Jai Prakash University, Bihar
7. Internshala Career Scholarship for Girls 2013 Winner – Swati Shanker from National Law Institute University, Bhopal