This year, nearly 40,000 students on Internshala have secured internships in NGOs. You might be wondering why so many students have opted for such internships. In this article, I will try to shed some light on it by stating five important benefits of interning with an NGO along with course-related internships –
1. Offers skill-based volunteering: Giving their students a hands-on experience has always been a top priority for college authorities. Through skill-based volunteering, one can volunteer to help an organization with their specialized skills. For example, a computer science engineer can volunteer to help an NGO in building their website.
2. Turns students into role models for society: As college professors, you might have shared your life experiences and learning with your students, and perhaps become a role model for them. Similarly, NGO internships give your students an opportunity to lead by example.
3. Adds value to the resume: Working at an NGO requires various skills like public speaking, accounting, finance, social media management, research, etc. Exploring these skills adds value in a student’s resume and speaks volumes about their ability to work in a professional environment.
4. Provides valuable networking opportunities: During these internships, students often meet a diverse set of people who are working for various social causes. Such networking helps students in opening their minds to new ideologies and improving their interpersonal skills.
5. Helps in personality development: While working with an NGO, students come across various challenges that are faced by our society. Working towards solving them plays a significant role in developing qualities like empathy, humility, patience, and optimism which contribute towards their overall personality development.
Now, if you are convinced that doing NGO internships can be beneficial for your students, then we would like to inform you that Internshala has launched Summer Volunteering Program 2020. We are offering 10,000+ work-from-home internships which will give the selected students a chance to contribute to society during these difficult times.
You can receive a notification from us about this opportunity and learn how your students can apply to them by filling the form below. If the form does not load, please click here.
We would also love to hear your take on interning with NGOs in the comments below!