An interesting academic research opportunity for students of Ocean Engineering, Biology, Geology, Instrumentation, Weather Sciences, and Marine Sciences etc.

Please note that NIO offers opportunities for students to do their summer internships and dissertation projects (final year/semester projects). Summer internships happen in May-July and application for the same must be made in Jan-Feb ONLY. While dissertation projects can be done round the year and applications are accepted all the time (but period of dissertation should not cover any part of 1 May to 31 July).

So if you are looking for an interesting final semester project with a leading scientific research institute of country, you could apply immediately. And if you are looking for a summer internship, do apply between January-February 2012.

About National Institute of Oceanography – National Institute of Oceanography (NIO, http://www.nio.org/index/title/HOME) is one of the 38 constituent laboratories of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi. The focus of research has been on observing and understanding the special oceanographic features that the North Indian basin offers. The inferences from this research have been reported in about 5000 research articles so far.

The institute has about 200 scientists and the the major research areas include the four traditional branches of oceanography – biological, chemical, geological/geophysical, and physical – and some other areas such as marine instrumentation and archaeology. The institute also operates a coastal research vessel CRV Sagar Sukti, a 23 m vessel equipped for multidisciplinary oceanographic observations. NIO’s scientists also have access to the ocean going research vessel ORV Sagar Kanya, operated by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.

About Summer Internship / Dissertation Program: – The summer internships/dissertation programs are meant for the students to acquaint themselves with the oceanographic studies and research methods in any branch of oceanography (note that oceanography is a multidisciplinary subject)

Who can apply: – Any graduate / post graduate students from relevant education stream and a keen interest in Ocean Studies.

Location: – Goa, India

Duration: – Summer internships happen in May-July and application for the same must be made in Jan-Feb ONLY. While dissertation projects can be done round the year and applications are accepted all the time (but period of dissertation should not cover any part of 1 May to 31 July).

Stipend: – NIO does not charge any fees for dissertation or summer interns programs. All the laboratory expenses involved in students programs are met by NIO funds. Students have to arrange for their travel and living expenses.

How to apply: – The application process is fairly elaborate and detailed, visit NIO Page for more information and contact details.

Editor’s note: – Information above is my interpretation and paraphrasing of what I found on the shared link. If you have any more specific information on this internship or have interned with Google and would like to share your experience, please leave a comment.

You can apply to similar meaningful internships here and kickstart your career.

18 thoughts on “National Institute of Oceanography – Summer Internship & Dissertation Projects – Goa, India

• January 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Iam arun tej.g student of indian school of mines dhanbad, got through iitjee. presently iam in 3rd b-tech mining engg. as iam very much intrested doing intenship in ur institution. so consider my applaction.

• February 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Hello
    I am chitralekha rana student of Amity University Haryana pursuing my 2nd year(IV sem) and i am v.much interested to be an oceanographer.kindly suggest me how to apply for the summer internship 2012. I am the topper of my university with cgpa of 9.16 and also suggest me some other best institutes for oceanography summer internship.
    Thanks and will wait for the reply ..

• July 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I am rajesh yadav student of Banaras hindu university,presently iam in 5th sem of Bsc(hons) geology course ,i want to do summer intership at NIO,sir what can i do

• January 27, 2017 at 6:46 PM

revathi says:

i am doing my I Msc, in bharathiar university in coimbatore. i am a zoology student.
    sir, i am interested in marine biology will i be able to do my Msc project in your institution.

• January 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Hi Revathi,

Thank you for writing in. Please refer the above article for the details regarding the internship in Indian National Institute of Oceanography.

• January 27, 2017 at 6:51 PM

karthika says:

i am doing my Msc zoology in bharathiar university coimbatore.i am interested in marine biology so, i will able to do my project in your institution.

• January 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Hi Karthika,

• February 4, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Hi , I am Rohini singh of Msc. Geo. 2sem from Banasthali vidyapith. I want to do internship from national institute of oceanography. Plz tell me how can i apply for it. Waiting for reply. Thank you.

• February 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Hi Rohini,

Please check the ‘how to apply’ section in the article to know more details.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

• December 7, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Respected sir/mam
    I am Priyadarshini L,I am studying Marine engineering 5fth semester in Mangalore marine college and technology, I need to get internship for my further Carrier.So please consider my apology.
    Thanking you,
    Priyadarshini L
    Mangalore
    Karnataka.

• December 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Hi Priyadarshini,

Thanks for writing in. We do not have any internships related to marine engineering currently.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• December 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Great Post, Really Helpfull with all those details. I think you also should write something on Marine Engineering as well. It would be helpful.

• December 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM

My name is Arun Sankar. I am currently doing integrated M.A in History at Pondicherry University, sir I am intended to become a Marine archaeologist. I have query that internship offered in this institution is also related to marine archaeology and does a history student can apply for this internship . please do reply for this sir.

Arun Sankar
    Pondicherry.

• January 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM

hello! i am currently pursuing my B.tech 3rd year in genetic engineering. i am interested in exploring oceans life.i would like to do a internship in marine biology which would help me

• February 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Hi Vani,

Thanks~ Unnatti

• June 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Please tell us the difference between internship and dissertation programmes, and their eligibility.

• June 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Hi Piyush,

An internship is a short-term opportunity wherein you work on real-time projects in an organisation, while a dissertation program is a training program wherein graduate learn to write research proposals/papers.

To do an internship, you don’t need any specific qualifications (except for some organisations and profiles). If you have the relevant skill set, you can apply to any internship that suits your interest. Please register here – http://bit.ly/new-registration to check out all available internships on Internshala.

Thanks~ Unnatti