How to get an internship at IBM

How to get an internship at IBMMost likely, you may have stumbled upon this post while searching for internships at IBM. One of the largest firms in terms of the number of employees, IBM is known for its specially designed internship projects. An IBM internship is highly prestigious for students all over the world.

What are the types of internships available and who are eligible to apply?
IBM offers internships to undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. students of Computer Science, IT, Electrical, Electronics, and Management stream. IBM Research Labs India (IRL) situated at Gurgaon and Bangalore provide summer research opportunities every year.

IBM’s flagship global internship program Extreme Blue (EB) is ten to twelve weeks long starting in the month of May and ending by July for the Indian students. Extreme Blue projects are like mini-startups within IBM, with technical interns working to solve the technical challenges of emerging technologies and the MBA interns working alongside to gather business solutions for the products. You can read the FAQs relate to the EB program here.

How to apply?
There are three different ways through which a student can apply for IBM India internships:

1.Campus Recruitment: IBM visits IITs and a few other reputed colleges across India for hiring interns. Your college’s T&P cell needs to get in touch with the IBM campus recruitment team for collaboration.

2.Apply on company website: You can directly apply on the IBM website here. You can narrow down to your desired location and field through keyword search.

3.Through a referral: If you know someone who works at IBM, ask them to provide you a referral. This only gets you a telephonic interview; your performance in that interview determines your future.

What after applying?
Students are asked to upload their resumes while applying online. Following the initial screening based on the resumes and applications, a telephonic interview or an online aptitude test (IPAT) is scheduled. The IPAT (Information Processing Aptitude Test) is an online test with each question allocated its own time limit of 2.15 minutes. Around 20 number series questions and 20 aptitude questions are asked. Some examples of the questions asked in the past:
• Find the next number in the series: 1, 5, 17, 53, ?
• Find the next number in the series: 1, 7, 2, 2, 1, 3, 2, 2, 4, 7, ?
• The ‘word problems’ are based on numeric reasoning and are broadly classified into Ratio & Proportion, Interests, Probability, Time & Work, and Basic Geometry. Like –
There are three pipes (Pipe A, B, and C) in a swimming pool. Pipe A can complete filling the pool in 3 hours and Pipe B in 2 hours. Together, Pipe A, Pipe B, and Pipe C can completely fill the swimming pool in 45 minutes. Now, if the Pipe C is throttled to release water at only half the rate as it normally does, how much time will it take for all the pipes to fill the pool together?
You can find some good resources to prepare for IPAT here and here.

The telephonic interview consists of both technical and general aptitude & personality questions and is not that rigorous. Some sample IBM internship questions are:
• General questions about Object Oriented Programming (OOPs)
• What is a Red-Black Tree and what would you use it for?
• Predict C program output (2-3 questions)
• Few questions from OS and Networking concepts (Numerical + Conceptual)
• What are your career goals and how will this internships fit into that?
• Tell me about your biggest failure and how you overcame it?

After this, the shortlisted students are called for a Face to Face interview. It could be either online (Skype) or an onsite interview at the IBM offices. Depending on the team and the project you are being interviewed for, this round of interview is guided by a panel of 2 to 3 senior members of IBM. Few sample IBM internship interview questions are:
• If you are given only 2 months, provide a model for the completion of the given project with time allocation for different phases.
• What problems did you face during your previous projects and how did you overcome them?
• Explain Inter-process Communications and Critical Sections.
• Why should you be hired for this project? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
• Some puzzles and coding questions. Like- Write a code for this problem and show the output: “You have an infinite number of 1, X, and Y coins. Now, you have to make a sum S with these coins. Find out what are the minimum number of coins required to make a sum of S. For e.g. if you are given infinite number of 1, 2, and 5 denomination of coins, the minimum no. of coins required to make a sum S=10 are 2 (5+5)

Once the IBM internship application is successful, the students are allocated to specific teams and work under the guidance of designated mentor. A competitive stipend is provided along with a specified amount for relocation and housing purposes.

Word of advice from ex-interns:
Be ready to work hard: You will have to come up with ingenious solutions while working on a number of concepts and ideas. This needs dedication and hard work on your part as there will be strict deadlines.

Pre-placement offer: You will find numerous networking opportunities as you will be working with a series of senior IBM members, team mentors, and project heads. You need to leverage these opportunities; identify and communicate areas of interest, be open to varied roles and feedbacks, perform well during the programs, and you have got yourself a PPO!

Some pro-tips:
• Have open source contributions. Having a GitHub link, for example, in your resume definitely improves your chances of getting shortlisted during the initial screening.
• A social media involvement in programming community (e.g. having a StackOverflow profile or a tech blog) makes you aware of the latest developments in your field and improves your chances of success in the interviews.
Resources: There are a number of online resources available for students to prepare for the interviews. There is an official skills roadmap for the Extreme Blue projects through which applicants can understand the required technical skills for the projects and practice them.

You can also read about the exhilarating experience of Sharath when he did his summer internship in IBM Bangalore. You can also read some student testimonials from the previous Extreme Blue projects here.

If you also dream to build a career in the software industry, you can check out these cool computer science internships. To apply for more of these internships, you can register here.

28 thoughts on “How to get an internship at IBM

• July 24, 2016 at 10:15 PM

don’t know whether i am such a talented but i am very excited and interested.

• August 4, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Hi Bhavani Shankar,

Thank you for writing in.
      Please refer the article given above for the procedure to apply for an internship in IBM.

• October 3, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Hello,
    How could I know vacancy is there in the company or not?
    Please give me the electronics opportunities link if possible.

jasti sateesh

• February 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM

HELLO
    I GOT 55% IN 12TH AND 74% till 7th SEM IN B.TECH.
    SO IF SOME ONE REFERS ME TO GET INTERNSHIP IN IBM.
    THEN I’LL OR DUE TO <60% IN 12TH WILL MATTERS.

• February 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM

HELLO
    I GOT 55% IN 12TH AND 74% till 7th SEM IN B.TECH.
    SO IF SOME ONE REFERS ME TO GET INTERNSHIP IN IBM.
    THEN I’LL OR DUE TO <60% IN 12TH I'LL NOT.

• July 2, 2017 at 11:23 PM

Hello ..I m btech 3rd Year electrical and electronics student ..I got 7 cgpa in 10th n 62percent in 12th n 60 percent till 5th sem as a result is nt declared yet(6th sem)… Can u plz tell me whether I am eligible for doing internship at IBM or not…. thanku

• July 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Hi Sonal,

Thank you for writing in. Please refer the above article for the details regarding internship in the IBM.

Thanks,

• August 28, 2017 at 6:47 AM

Hello I am AshutoshTiwari a BBA final year students sir can you tell me how I get Internship at IBM by doing BBA

• September 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Hi Ashutosh,

Thanks,

• September 6, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Thirumalaads says..

Sri Thirumala Ads is one of the Bangalore largest and innovative local Channel networks consisting 9 prime MSO (multi system operator) branded channels under one management and having highly resourceful studios, unique programs, skilled technicians and shrewd management since 2004. Business entities have come to realize that marketing with well-managed returns is critical now a day.

for more info

• December 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Thirumalaads says,

for more info

• December 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Thirumalaads says.,

for more info

• December 22, 2017 at 5:54 PM

for more info

• December 26, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Hloooo I am studying computer science engineering I got 85%in my 12 examination and I have obtained a cgpa of 6.55 until my 6th sem I am waiting for my 7th sem result so ,am I eligible for doing a internship in IBM and can I get a chance to work in this company after my education

• December 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Hloooo I am studying computer science engineering I got 85%in my 12 examination and I have obtained a cgpa of 6.55 until my 6th sem I am waiting for my 7th sem result so ,am I eligible for doing a internship in IBM and can I get a chance to work in this company after my educatiocan I know the vacancy details of IBM

• January 8, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Thirumalaads says.,

for more info

• February 18, 2018 at 1:28 PM

am much eager to get an internship oppurtunity at ibm to implement my knowledge.please tell me the details of ,how to apply for an internship at ibm

• February 19, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Hi Thenmozhi,

Thanks,

• March 2, 2018 at 6:18 PM

H,
    Thirumalaads says

for more info

• March 15, 2018 at 8:26 PM

How could I know if there is internship available in management department in the company or not?
    Please give me the management opportunities link if possible.
    Harshita Gupta

• March 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Hi Harshita,

Please visit https://internshala.com/internships/. On the left side of the page, you’ll see various options to filter your search. You may set the filter for management internships and apply to the ones that suit your interest.

Hope this helps.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• March 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM

I really love your content , i appreciate your knowledge

• March 21, 2019 at 10:32 PM

I really like itt
    To do internship in IBM

• July 25, 2019 at 1:16 AM

Hello sir/mam,

I want to join your for internship of 15 days in winter break.
    I am 2nd year B-tech(CSE) student ,haven’t done any internship yet.
    So please can you tell me how I get Internship at IBM .
    Thank you.
    Kriti Garg

• July 25, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Hi Kriti,

Thank you for writing in.

We do not have any current information regarding internship opportunities at IBM. Please visit their careers page for more information.

However, if you wish to apply to similar internships then you can register on Internshala here – http://bit.ly/IS_N. Once you’ve registered and logged into your account, you may click on the ‘Internships’ button on your dashboard to view all the internships available on the platform.

You can filter internships according to your preference for location, duration, etc.

Thanks :)

• December 1, 2019 at 10:11 AM

I want to internship

• December 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Hi Nishi,

Thank you for writing in.
      Please visit http://bit.ly/internship_is to view all available internships, and apply for the one which suits your profile.
      I hope you find it helpful.

Keshav