mechanical-engineering-internship-at-small-arms-factory-ministry-of-defence-aditya-singh-gaurs-storyAbout the Author: Aditya from Jaypee University of Engineering & Technology, Guna talks about his industrial internship at Small Arms Factory where he learned about manufacturing of rifles and got to fire them along with shooters from army.

Since I was a child, my area of interest has been space and defence technology and to keep myself updated on the subject, I used to read articles about it. After completion of my 2nd year of engineering, I did a 4 weeks vocational training in Small Arms Factory (SAF) of Indian Ordnance Factories Board, Ministry of Defence in Kanpur. My internship was at the INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) Assembly which manufacturers INSAS Rifles and INSAS Light Machine gun (LMG). SAF is relevant to my department which makes it perfect for student of every branch to get an internship there. Its sections consist of INSAS assembly, tool room, Computerised Numeric Control (CNC) Machine section, MAG gun section, Small Component section, electrical department, IT Cell and a cell for management students.

As for the application process, there are two ways to get this internship. First one is ‘Employees Ward’ in which if you know any employee currently working under Ministry of Defence, you can directly contact its HR department. The second one is to contact Senior General Manager of the factory and send him the resume and a cover letter directly. If he finds your application suitable, the manager will forward it to the HR department. This internship has no stipend. The selection process is a bit challenging as they get thousands of application for this training/internship and they select only about 100 to 120 students at max for the entire summer. Also, you have to undergo an interview with IES/IAS officers who are very talented and highly knowledgeable. During the interview, they test your basic knowledge about your branch. They also check for your area of interest according to which you will be allotted any any section in the factory. For me, the interview was unexpectedly easy. I believe it was so not only because I had just completed my 2nd year (while most of the other interns has completed their 3rd year) but also because of my grades and knowledge of the defence field.

I was allotted INSAS Assembly Section which assembles INSAS Rifles and INSAS Light machine guns (LMG). INSAS rifles are used by Indian armed forces along with some foreign users. My area of work was to ‘Study the faults and the firing results of the rifle and to provide remedial measures to improve’. INSAS rifles, which are assembled in SAF, undergo a series of firing tests in the firing range by army/navy shooters who test it thoroughly. For me, the best part of this internship was to carry the INSAS rifles and to perform shooting in the range. INSAS rifles have many faults likes BNC, cover fall, RBNC, light strike, extract etc. And to improve these faults, one needs to understand the details of the manufacturing of different parts of the rifle which are manufactured in the factory itself. One gets a good opportunity to see all the thousands of the parts of these guns at these mega factories.

This internship helped me get a deeper knowledge about guns and machines. Also, it was a great experience to apply theoretical knowledge in practical life. As mechanical engineering students,  we deal with lathe, shaper, miling  and other machines in college. But in the industry, the machines used are giant sized. My main takeaway from this internship was to see how these big machines operate and how gun components are manufactured. Also, an internship of this nature gives you knowledge about the corporate world setup. There are certain positive and negative points of this internship. Positive points are people. The people working at SAF are highly talented and have good knowledge of their specific sections. They are open minded and are always ready to clear your doubts. Also food there is very cheap. One can have full meal in just ₹15 and can get tea and samosas for just ₹3. Also the atmosphere of the whole factory is nice and calm. On the other hand, this internship also had certain negative points that as an intern there is not a specific person who you can work with (i.e. a trainer). Also, one has to be proactive in asking doubts and to know something specific about the machines, you have to take the initiative yourself.

Editor’s Note – Like Aditya, if you are looking for experience in core engineering, check out these mechanical engineering internships.

24 thoughts on “Mechanical Engineering Internship at Small Arms Factory, Ministry of Defence – Aditya Singh Gaur’s Story

• March 16, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Is there any chance to apply to Hyderabad odf factory

• August 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM

Dear, All if you want to do summer internship in any unit of ministry of defence then you have to contact them directly. You can contact their H.R or General Manager ( Recruitment) for the same.
      Aditya Singh Gaur

• February 1, 2018 at 10:33 PM

I am from KANPUR please can you help me with the summer training in 2018 in Ordinance factory Kanpur.

• April 5, 2018 at 10:02 PM

Sir I am student of 4th sem in ME branch I want to do summer training in ordinance factory in kanpur , sir please help me..

• April 6, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Hi Vinod,

We do not have any information regarding this currently. Please visit their official careers page for details.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• April 6, 2018 at 10:24 PM

Sir I am a student of mechanical engineering 4th semester from uiet csjm kanpur and I want to do Summer training in ordinance factory in kanpur .So please help me how can I get into the same .

• April 6, 2018 at 10:57 PM

Plz sir delete my comment from here .

• April 6, 2018 at 11:01 PM

Plz sir delete my comment from here .

• April 6, 2018 at 11:02 PM

Because of my privacy is opened

• May 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Sir my 2nd year of diploma in mechanical engineering is over now I having holiday I want to do internship in odinas factory Nagpur can I get

• May 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Hi Mahesh,

We do not have any information regarding internships in Ordnance Factories. However, you may look for mechanical engineering internships on Internshala by registering here – http://bit.ly/new-registration. once you’ve created your profile, click on the internships button and select ‘mechanical engineering’ from the ‘Category’ option given on the left side of the page.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks~ Unnatti

• March 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Sir I want to do summer training in ordinance factory. What is the procedure.

• March 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Hi Tanmay,

We do not have any information regarding summer training in Ordnance Factories. However, you may look for relevant internships on Internshala by registering here – http://bit.ly/new-registration. Once you’ve built your profile, you can click on the internships button and filter your search on the left side of the page.

Thanks~ Batool

• March 31, 2019 at 2:33 PM

sit i want to know how can i apply summer internship at ordinance factory 1month . my self shubham yadav im persuing btech from mechanical stream this is my 2nd year

• April 23, 2019 at 1:07 PM

Hi Shubham,

We do not have any information regarding summer internships in Ordnance Factories. However, you may look for relevant internships on Internshala by registering here – http://bit.ly/new-registration. Once you’ve built your profile, you can click on the internships button and filter your search on the left side of the page.

Thanks~ Batool

• April 20, 2019 at 11:48 AM

Sir,
    I am student of BE in Mechanical branch 3rd yr. From “Prof. Ram Meghe Institute of Technology & Research Badnera, Amravati.
    I am interested in making of defence armed force products.

• April 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks~ Batool

• April 29, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Hello sir
    I’m student of Mechanical branch 2nd year i want to know how can i apply summer internship at ordinance factory 1month .I am interested in making of defence armed force products.

• April 30, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Hi Abhinav,

We do not have any information regarding this. However, you may look for relevant internships on Internshala by registering here – http://bit.ly/new-registration. To find internships, you may visit here – http://bit.ly/internship_is and filter the internships according to your preference for the category, duration, etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks~ Batool

• June 11, 2020 at 9:25 AM

• June 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Hi Aman,

We do not have any current information regarding internships at Ordnance Factory, Kanpur. Please visit their careers page for more information.

However, if you wish to apply for different organizations then you can register on Internshala here http://bit.ly/new-registration.

Thanks~Tejas

• May 6, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Hi Abhinav,

Thank you for writing in.

You could register on Internshala here – http://bit.ly/new-registration. Once you have registered, you may browse all the internships available on our platform here – http://bit.ly/internship_is. You can filter internships according to your preference and duration available on the left side of the page.

• September 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM

Good afternoon sir .am student of mechanical final year students who to internship from gun factor help me out sir..

• September 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM

Hi Aman,

However, if you wish to apply for similar internships with different organizations then you can register on Internshala here http://bit.ly/new-registration.