Reading & Writing Assignment (5) – My Favourite Sports Moment

If there is only one thing you could do to improve your English, it should be to read a page and write a paragraph every day. Why do we keep saying this in every single assignment in this series? Because it is that important.

What will you do in this assignment? – You would read something (hopefully) entertaining, watch a video on it, and then answer a question.

Today’s situation

One of my favourite sports moments is from 1996 Cricket World Cup quarter-final between India & Pakistan. This was the time when the world of cricket was yet to be shocked by the match-fixing scandals and the entire country was firmly in the grip of cricket fever.

Being one of the hosts (the 1996 world cup was jointly organised by India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka), the Indian team was running favourite to win the cup. First it was the World Cup, and second, this do or die match (i.e. the quarterfinal) was with our arch rival, Pakistan – one could sense the tension in the air as a nation of 1 Billion sat down to watch the 2nd inning of the match in which Pakistan was chasing the Indian total of 289.

It did not start well for the Indian team. Some master stroke play from the opening pair of Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail (especially by Aamir) seemed to be taking the match (and with it the World Cup hopes) away from India. By the end of the 14th over, Pakistan was comfortably cruising towards victory at 109 runs for the loss of 1 wicket. And then came the 15th over from Venkatesh Prasad which changed the game, and possibly scarred the opposition forever.

Aamir Sohail slashed the 5th delivery of the over towards extra-cover for a boundary and made a hand gesture towards Venkatesh as if asking him to go and fetch the ball. In one of the most remarkable comebacks in the history of Cricket, Venkatesh Prasad avenged himself on the very next delivery when he uprooted the off stump of the left-handed batsman and gave him a send-off that he would remember for rest of his life. This momentary loss of concentration by Aamir Sohail and the damage it did to Pakistani players’ confidence proved to be the turning point of the game. Pakistan lost the match, the crowd in Bangalore stadium (where the game was being played) and everywhere else in India erupted in joy, a Pakistani viewer reportedly shot the TV & then himself, and the effigies of Pakistani players were burnt back in Pakistan.

Words can not do justice to the beauty and the adrenaline rush of the moment. You have to watch it to feel the same :)

Question for you– Describe your favourite sports moment (can be from any sport) and also tell why it is your favourite. Please write your answer (min. 100 words) in the comments below.

You can also read fellow students’ answers but do so only after you have submitted your own answer so that you don’t get influenced by what others wrote. We also encourage you to share your feedback, appreciation, and thoughts against others’ answers. Remember, it is a community effort and we are all in it together :). Only when you participate, you can expect others to participate and share feedback on what you wrote. Deal?

To read the next article of the series on the different aspects of punctuation, click on the next button below. To go back to the earlier article, click on the previous button.

10 thoughts on “Reading & Writing Assignment (5) – My Favourite Sports Moment

• October 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM

The unexpected Gold medal in Olympics history

One of my favorite sports moment was from Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics, where impossible became possible.

What actually happened was, Australia’s Steven Bradbury achieves an unexpected gold medal in the short track speed skating event at the Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympic Games. Steven Bradbury went from last place to first place right before the end of the race. Thanks to a mistake that caused his four competitors — China’s Li Jiajun, Canada’s Mathieu Turcotte, Korea’s Ahn Hyun-soo, and Apolo Ohno of the United States — to fall, Bradbury was left to cross the finish line alone and take home the gold.

You may see what really happened here(https://youtu.be/6tQEr_40zTo)

• October 15, 2016 at 11:25 PM

The Vital Catch

One of my favorite sports moment was from T20 World Cup 2007 Final between India and Pakistan. Indians all over the world were anxious to see India win its first T20 world cup. It was the final over of the game, Pakistan was at 145-9 and needed just 13 runs in 6 balls. Misbah-ul-haq and Mohammed Asif were the last two batsmen standing. There was this anxious energy in the crown and among the audience in front of the tv. The game could go anywhere at this point. Joginder sharma was the bowler, which was not the best choice according to the commentators. The first ball in the over ends up being a wide and everybody is tensed and Dhoni’s decision is questioned silently by many. The next ball was missed by Misbah and everyone is a little assured but all that crumples into dust when he hits huge six in the next ball. The target was now 6 runs from 3 balls, people have lose hope. They resign in defeat and yet there is a slight hope left in them as the next ball is delivered. Misbah aims at the boundary to finish this off once and for all, to grab the title. The entire nation is holding their breath as it rises higher and then descends in the air to see the ball touch the ground or the boundary, to finally accept the defeat. Instead, the ball is caught by Sreesanth. There is a sense of shock and euphoria amongst all the indians as the players are running into the ground and the crowd is jumping up and down. That vital catch got India a victory by 5 runs and its first ICC T20 World Cup title.

I still jump up and down watching the video here just as much as i did when i saw it on the TV:

• October 16, 2016 at 1:34 AM

I am not really a sports enthusiast and I could not generally relate much the efforts put in by players and the amount of energy and passion I see amongst the audience to watch the events happening around until I was forced to watch the Rio Olympics this year. Yes, forced, because everyone around used to talk about it and I had to see what’s so special with Olympics that everyone is so excited about.
    So, I was reading the news regarding PV Sindhu entering the finals for women singles. I decided to watch the finals and there I was, initially, it took me time to understand the game but in some time I was totally into it and then I saw, Sindhu for a period, at once on her knees, made to look uncomfortable, her brow furrowed as she looked at her racquet net. But she fought hard, reducing twice the deficit to a solitary point as Marin committed a flurry of errors. And, smash it went, Marin smashed one to lead 19-16. I was sure then that the game is in our court this time. Sindhu persevered, returning serves with precision and power, and the scoreline went from 17-19 to 18-19 to 19-19 and then 20-19 as chants of ‘jeetega bhai jeetega’ reverberated from the sizable Indian support in the stands. It was indeed nail-biting badminton. Then Marin messed up a return against a superb flick from Sindhu, forced to turn as she ran backward, and the shuttle flopped in her half. Sindhu roared, pumped her fists. The first game was hers. But Marin is a champion and went up 4-0 in the second game, then 8-2. She pushed Sindhu into errors and the momentum was snatched back. A nine-point advantage was punctuated by a ferocious smash to which Sindhu had no answer. And then came the decisive third game, initially went Marin’s way 6-1, but Sindhu kept hitting back. Three straight points reduced the deficit to two points (10-8), which turned into 10-10 after a teasing, gasp-inducing rally full of brilliance. An error in judgment from Sindhu put her back 14-10, then Marin won a review, 16-12; a shot went out, 16-14; Marin smashed into Sindhu’s body, 17-14; a dab past Sindhu and it was 18-14 and that was the shift that Marin needed to round out a dominant win.
    But what I loved about the game was, Sindhu never gave up, but her opponent’s experience and pedigree were simply too much to be overhauled.
    It was the first badminton match that I had ever watched and loved that feeling, that adrenaline rush with every smash and all the yeeiis and oohhs from my friends. It was one of the most amazing times I have had.

• February 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Cricket! A religion for most of the Indians. Indians are obsessed with Cricket. And so am I. I like Cricket, whether it is playing or watching. I was a fan of Cricket from my childhood days. The most memorable moment of this vary sports that I remember is India winning the 2011 World Cup. This was the greatest moment for every Cricket fan in India. I was very tensed when Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag got out early. But then the experienced Gautam Gambhir and young Virat Kohli steadied the ship. And after that it was all history when M.S. Dhoni came and finished off the match with a big six.

• March 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM

It was the nail-biting India vs Bangladesh last over of WT20 semi-finals last year. The last over saw some dramatic turnarounds with Bangladesh needing 2 runs from 3 balls to Bangladesh losing by 1 Run. I was very sure that we were going to lose the game. And what transpired was an unbelievable victory that many won’t forget. The over went like this -1,4,4,w,w,w. And what was even more amazing was the temperament of Hardik Pandya, even after getting smashed for two consecutive boundaries he remained calm and executed brilliantly. You can’t ask for a better finish to the game.

• March 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM

It was the time when I entered the field of football. I always used to get fascinated by skills of football, when I saw anyone doing extraordinary things with football. So me and my friends used to play football during sports period in my school. We were just mere beginners unaware of the tactics of football. One would definitely get bored if they have seen our matches. No rules and regulations just fun. Later it was announced that an inter school football league is going to be organized at Varanasi. Since most of the seniors were busy with their board exams, me and my friends made the most of the opportunity. We went to play with the teams of extremely experienced and strategic players. And as a result we got defeated badly in our first match and I don’t find anything odd in that. It is obvious that one cannot defeat a experienced player until one has acquired enough skills. Since we were demoralized after first defeat we planned a strategy to just defend the attackers of opponents and didn’t allow them to score a single shot. Though there were some various close encounters but we managed to avoid any alterations on scoreboard. Finally it was tie. According to rules penalty shootout was the alternative to declare winning team. Five members from both teams were selected to shoot. I was among five from my team and first one to shoot too. I was not able to control my heartbeat. My nervousness was at peak as if whole responsibility I have to bear for defeat if we had. The referee blew the whistle and I applied my whole strength in that shot and guess what, I managed to goal. I was surprised for a moment that, was I made it really or its a dream. I was overwhelmed by the joy of scoring a goal in spite of knowing that we haven’t made it to the quarter final. But my one shot boosted the confidence of the remaining guys that they too can do that. We scored four out of five shots and opponent team managed to score three out of five.And finally we made it to quarter final.Though we were not able to win the league but gave out best to maximum extent and gained valuable experience.
    I still cherish those memories and feel happy.

• March 26, 2017 at 10:08 PM

It was 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup Final which was played between India and Sri Lanka in Mumbai. I and my other family members were watching the final world cup match in our living room. We had many expectations from that match because it was a World Cup. Also, India qualified for the final and it was organized in Mumbai.

Sri lanka won the toss and elected to bat first. Like others, I was also hooting whenever Sri Lankan team lost any wicket and was supporting our team. When Indian innings came we had our fingers crossed. Sehwag and Tendulkar came for the opening but both were dismissed early and we really felt bad as we had high expectations from both of them.

Later, Virat Kohli and Gautam Gambhir started the recovery with some fluent stroke play and running between the wickets, at that time we felt we would won’t lose the match. Then later on Dhoni and Gambhir played really very well. I still remember that winning moment when Dhoni finished the match by hitting a six. We all hooted a lot and celebrated India’s victory.

• May 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM

My favorite sports moment which I liked the most and will continue to be in my mind for forever would be the final match of the series between Australia and South Africa( though I do not remember the series name).

It started as any ordinary match in which Australia decided to bat first.From the beginning itself Australian batsman slammed the south African bowlers like anything.Runs were flowing like water.Even now and then fours and sixes were being smashed.One thing that was noticeable was that this was the new Australian team which formed after many world class player like Adam Gilchrist, Matthew hayden,Glenn Mc Grath etc left the team together after 2003 world cup.

I started imagining that the dominance over the cricket of Australian cricket team will never gonna get over and this match was testimony to this fact.Australia broke the previous world record of highest run total by any team by making 437 runs in 50 over.

So it was almost finalized that Australia will going to crush the opponent.But fate took its own turn.South Africa stated decently and slowly gained momentum.They were making their firm stride towards the target.Despite Australia’s all the effort south African batsman beaten them up black and blue.The whole of stadium erupted in joy as the target reached closer and closer. Finally the moment came when they crossed the score of 437 runs and won the series.

This match will continue to stay in my memory because it teaches an important lesson.sometime we achieve big in our life and consider our self successful.We tend to get nonchalant but this is life others are also struggling and striving to gain excellence.Eventually we get beaten down by them.So in order to keep our self abreast with competitors we must keep pushing ourselves and continue to get better.

• November 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM

I am very fond of cricket and one of my favorite match is India vs Bangladesh in T_20 world cup quarter final 2016.
    In that match Bangladesh has wickets in hand and in a need of 11 runs in the last over(Mahmadhullah on strike and Rahim on the other side) the bowl was handed to hardik pandya who was a new player to international team at that time.

19.1 mahmadhullah scored a single and rahim got the strike. so Bangladesh are in a need of 10 runs in 5 balls

19.2 rahim scored a boundary and four runs came up for them. then my fear has started on loosing the game.Bangladesh are in a need of 6 runs in 4 balls

19.3 Rahim scored the other boundary and it was again a four and was jumping with a joy of winning(though they haven’t won that match still). I was shocked as well as lost the hope of winning the game and all the team mates are also nervous at that time but seniors Dhoni,Nehra,Kohli and Rohit came to him and said how to bowl.Bangladesh now are in a need of just 2 runs in 3 balls

19.4 rahim was CAUGHT…!!! and there was rise of hope in the indian team and mahmadhullah came to strike the very next ball as the batsman crossed the half pitch.Bangladesh are in a need of 2 runs in 2 balls

19.5 mahmadhullah was also OUT…!!! who was also caught and whole Bangladesh fans along with rahim lost their joy of winning and the stats were Bangladesh are in a need of 2 runs in 1 ball

And the final ball Dhoni removed his gloves before the ball has been bowled
    19.6 Ball was missed by the batsmen and went near to the keeper Dhoni who started running towards stumps to hit without throwing the ball though the runner has already started on other end they are trying to take the single but just before the fraction of seconds than the batsmen coming to the crease Dhoni hit the stumps with ball and the batsmen was RUNOUT…..!!

India won by 1 run in the last ball thrilling match…!!!!