How an internship helped me follow my passion for writing and travelling

How an internship helped me follow my passion for writing and travelling

About the author: Sanjana Gopal, a student of Loreto College, Kolkata, recounts how an internship redefined her as a professional writer and a travel enthusiast.

I was in my third year of college. I had some time on my hands and hadn’t done any internships till then. I always like having new experiences so decided to look for one. Internshala was my first choice, mostly because it was the only one I knew about, thanks to Facebook. I was interested in writing so I searched for opportunities along those lines and applied to ones that fit my requirement.

Being a full-time student, I had applied for virtual internships and got shortlisted by Holidify, a travel company. While applying for Holidify, I made sure to express my affinity for travelling and also mentioned that despite having no prior experience in content writing, I had kept in touch with my literary side by writing articles for newspapers and various societies in college. After being shortlisted, I was asked to fill their application form which asked for basic details (such as name, contact number, address etc). It also required me to fill in the number of hours I could devote on a daily basis and the number of months I would be available for. Furthermore, inquiries about my past travel experiences were also made. Apart from that, I had to attach my CV and a writing sample. Once this was done, I was interviewed over the phone. All the questions were mostly regarding my previous writings. I spoke in detail about the various topics I had written on such as social media, GST, and so on. Next, I was briefed about the responsibilities that I would have to shoulder. The entire procedure went off rather smoothly.

I was selected for their international content project for a span of two months, during which my responsibilities included writing structured content for international destinations as well as writing well-researched blogs about special cuisines or nightlife of a city that would prove useful to travellers. In the course of my internship, I covered a number of Bhutanese destinations such as Bumthang and HaaValley and even wrote a few blog articles about particular specialities of Bhutan like the homestays in Haa and the local cuisine. I was given certain guidelines while generating content for these destinations. I realized I should research and write in such a manner as if I were planning to visit these places myself. Undertaking initial research about a place helped me understand its vibe and therefore helped in writing an introduction relevant to the audience. Another thing that I learnt was the importance of images as travellers often make decisions based on what appeals to them. Through this, I also mastered how to assimilate information, keep track of it, sort it into the required fields, and present the obtained information in the most useful, simple, and accessible form. I also picked up a few tips on dealing with content creation for travel-oriented projects. My assignments helped me learn a thing or two about avoiding common grammatical errors. I learnt how spending a little bit of time on punctuation, spelling, and formatting could go a long way in becoming a professional writer. They also gave me feedback on each assignment and told me to rework wherever necessary. What I liked about the company was that they were clear about what they wanted from each destination or blog article. This helped me grasp their requirements much faster and reduced the amount of rework I had to do. It made me realize how useful effective communication is.

Overall, I am happy for having done this internship. Not only did I enjoy my work but also got the exposure that our education system doesn’t usually provide. For me, this internship wasn’t for mere online visibility or certification but for my development, both as a professional writer and a travel enthusiast. Of course, it was hard to juggle college and the internship. There were times when I would have rather slept off than look at another piece of information; however, I chose to continue as I knew I had a professional commitment to honour. These internships are useful ways that help you decide your career. For anyone who’s wondering whether to pursue one or not, just go ahead and do it. Pick one, try it out, and give it your best while you’re at it. If you don’t like it, then that’s good too. Now you know what you don’t want to do. That’s as good a start as any!

Do you harbour a similar flair for writing as Sanjana? Here are some amazing content writing internships to try out!

25 thoughts on “How an internship helped me follow my passion for writing and travelling

• October 1, 2018 at 5:48 PM

Hello Admin,

It is very nice that your blog is providing information regarding the program. I want to aware you towards the “Anheuser Busch Paid Internships 2018-19”. These internship programs are designed to transform students into leaders by providing skills to support personal growth.

Application Deadline is Varies.

For more information, you can go through –

• October 30, 2018 at 5:00 PM

These internship programs are designed to transform students into leaders by providing skills to support personal growth. In Today’s world, an internship is important because every company want an experienced candidate.
    Thanks for sharing

• November 8, 2018 at 11:48 PM

Hello Sir,

very nice article and given links I have submitted lots of sites which you have given.

• November 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Hello Sanjana, this is nice to read your blog post. I am glad to know that how you got help in following your passion for writing and travelling. Keep it up!

• December 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future

• February 28, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this informative post with us.

• March 9, 2019 at 1:53 PM

It’s a very interesting article for me. Until today, i like your point of view.

• March 19, 2019 at 9:28 PM

It was a very interesting journey from your college to an internship! Thanks for sharing such a great article with us!

• May 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Hi Sanjna Mam,
    I am also a traveling enthusiast and passionate about writing and holidify is my dream company. I am looking forward to hire in this company as a content writer. can you please suggest me how you cracked an interview and get hired easily and how can I make my cover letter and work sample efficient.

• November 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM

Explore the list of all episodes of TV Serial Kumkum Bhagya online.
    full HD Video Watch all episodes anytime, anywhere only on ZEE5

Kumkum Bhagya

• December 7, 2019 at 10:43 PM

Yehh Jadu Hai Jinn Ka! is fantacy drama serial by indian tv channel
    on Star Plus and directed by ram gopal verma and it is huge trp serial.

• December 9, 2019 at 8:24 PM

You can Watch Pinoy Tv Shows and Replays at Lambingan ofw and Watch Free Here in advance.
    Ofw People who are finding to Watch their Native Country Show Tv Series Can visit This site.

• January 8, 2020 at 1:28 AM

In the latest episode of Naagin, Vaishali finds Dev unconscious.
    Just then Nayantara comes there, too, and tells Vaishali she had gone to drink

• January 12, 2020 at 1:06 AM

Barrister Babu is a Hindi language Indian Television serial on
    Colors TV of 2020. This tv serial features Madhushree Sharma

• January 13, 2020 at 3:51 PM

The latest Tweets from Ekdujekevaaste (@Ekdujekevaaste2). Ek Duje Ke Vaaste
    is a Indian Hindi romantic Tv series, Started on 29 February 2016, and is

• January 22, 2020 at 5:53 PM

Choose a practical based internship institute for the best job opportunity in the IT field. Only practical knowledge will improve your skills and give real time working experience.

• January 22, 2020 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for the information which helps every fresher in the IT industry.

• February 10, 2020 at 6:03 PM

Good work friend I read some articles that you posted in your blog. I just want to admire blog and your work. Thanks for posting such posts here.Beyhadh 2

• February 21, 2020 at 10:10 AM

The internship is a matter. This is really a big and great source of information. We can all contribute and benefit from reading as well as gaining knowledge from this content just amazing experience Thanks for sharing such nice information.

• February 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM

DesiRulez is a desi forum for entertainment. A complete forum to
    share videos, listen to music, download cricket videos and …

Patiala Babes

• April 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM

Drama melayu Live is a officiel site Its Team check your Work, and your All blogs your
    work is very good and the Team of Drama melayu Live Is so impressed and Like your Work.

Drama melayu Live

• April 2, 2020 at 6:12 PM

• April 5, 2020 at 8:52 PM

Barrister Babu
    written updates and all latest video episodes. Choti Sarrdaarni is
    a colors tv Indian serial updated on march 2020.